PDA

View Full Version : Windshield help?

HOWARD O
06-13-2009, 08:55 PM
After working on my windshield all day, I'm thinking about replacing it.

I have had a link to UPD Plastics for a while and they look like very reasonable prices.

http://www.updplastics.com/index.htm

They do have some Donzi 22's listed and the oldest is a 1985 and it says limited availability. They do have a 1986 listed which is one with the built in wind deflectors. Other than that, it does look quite similar to mine:

http://www.updplastics.com/optimized%20images/LARGE%20JPEGS/Donzi-Classic-1986-22-ft.jpg

My 1982 has the plastic cap around the cockpit, to which the windshield is attached. Remember, during these years, you could order the boat sans windshield. Does anyone know how long they had this cap and can you guess whether this 1986 model windshield would fit?

HOWARD O
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I found this boat, which I believe to be an '84. It has the cockpit coaming like mine and I assume it also has the plastic cap to which the windshield attaches to. But this windshield has the built in wind deflectors, much like the one they sell at the link I referred to above. Suppose it would fit mine?

HOWARD O
06-13-2009, 09:14 PM
They are pretty close to my office. If you need me to do a drive by let me know..

Thanks! :yes:

What's your take on it, you've probably seen more shapes and sizes of them than anyone I'd know. I guess if I knew that this cap were the same dimension throughout these years, the windshield would fit. :confused:

I'll give them a call on Monday, see if they can help me out with some measurements.

HOWARD O
06-13-2009, 09:29 PM
IMO it will work.. Take some measurements of your existing, then I'll go by and double check..

Will do, a big THANK YOU!! :yes:

farmer tx
06-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Howard, those pics came from a boat in Amarillo TX and was a early 80's maybe 82 or 83.

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Howard, those pics came from a boat in Amarillo TX and was a early 80's maybe 82 or 83.

Really? I have been thinking that boat looks absolutely identical to mine except the windshield. I also notice that the vertical brackets, or supports, are also identical to mine. But mine has a center bracket that slips down over top as well. Why it's there, I don't know.

I am "almost" 100% positive that this windshield will fit my boat. I have the measurements for Poodle and hate to waste his time with it, but I'll be awfully bummed out if the windshield arrives and something's not right!

Thanks Tex, that is REALLY good to know! Once again, I'm amazed at what our little community comes up with! :yes:

VetteLT193
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Here is the template UPD uses. Check it against yours and you should be good to go. I wonder if they will give a discount making more than one at the same time? I know you aren't the only person that needs one.

handfulz28
06-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Was it in TX before it went to Oregon or after? I have those pics as an '84. It was listed for sale in Oregon in late 2006.

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Here is the template UPD uses. Check it against yours and you should be good to go. I wonder if they will give a discount making more than one at the same time? I know you aren't the only person that needs one.

Wow, thanks for those Vette, where'd you dig those up from?

Well, mine is different but doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work on my boat.

I am attaching a photo of my boat (Thanks CUDA!) and also the crude dimensions that I placed on their windshield. But you can get an idea.

From your template of the middle piece, mine does not have any bevel whatsoever at the bottom, nor is it "blacked out". Mine just goes down not quite to the deck of the boat and it does not flare out. My piece is only 16-3/4" tall, however the extra on theirs just might be the flare at the bottom. I am guessing my supports are the same length. The length of 73" is the same as mine. I am betting that it is the same basic dimensions, except theirs has the flare at the bottom.

Any opinions? Thanks Vette, that was a BIG help!

Howard

VetteLT193
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I got it from UPD for my brother's boat.

I think the flair at the bottom is on the inside to make the shield flush to the deck. The 'black out' is also on the inside. If there was no bevel the bottom of the shield would have a gap because it is at an angle to the deck. make sense?

Please measure yours from right next to one of the side brackets. the roundness in the deck will make a difference. my brother measured his from the side, by the bracket, and it's exactly 19 and 1/4 there just like this template. however, the middle I think is shorter.

I saw your boat in person, and I think the windshield is nearly identical to the one my brother has minus the tabs. and I'd get the tabs, they work well.

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I'll have to get that measurement this afternoon. I'm hoping the windshield might be taller overall and definitely want the tabs. Actually, I probably wouldn't be bothering with a new windshield right now if the wind in my face wasn't such a pitiful problem! My 16 had no windshield and the wind in my face was never a problem with me in that boat. THIS windshield does nothing but funnel it straight into my eyeballs! I really, REALLY want to alleviate that problem! I tried those deflectors that Ken turned me on to and they helped a little. Now I just need to duck about 2 inches to get my face out of the wind.

Anyway, really BIG help. Although it's different, I am believing it's going to work. Do you suppose the roundness of the deck had changed? Got to be from the same mold, no?

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Meant to ask. Did your brother's boat have the "cap" attached to his cockpit like mine? If not, how is the windshield fastened? Is that the reason for the bevel on the bottom?

VetteLT193
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
The reason for the bevel is to make the windshield flush because it has thickness to it...

imagine a 2X4 piece of wood leaning at an angle on the ground. if you look in front of it, you see a gap because only one corner is touching the ground. if you bevel that back edge upwards at an angle then the front of the wood will touch the ground and it will look flush.

The word bevel might be throwing us off, it's really just cut an an angle at the base to accommodate the angle of the windshield.

I think Eddie's boat is totally molded and does not have the add on cap like yours does.

Eddie's shield, with the tabs, puts the wind right at my forehead. I'm 6' tall.

I don't mind the wind like that, it's nice there. If you put your head to one side or the other you get beat as you describe. In my Minx the windshield is too good. I don't really get any wind at all.

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I gotcha on the "bevel" deal, makes sense.

I thought his might be molded, I'm not sure what year they went to that? I guess when they stopped offering windshield-LESS 22's! :lookaroun:

I'm 6' as well, wind on the forehead is fine with me. I guess I could always go with less padding on the driver's seat too? :cool: Frankly, I wish I were a couple inches shorter. :yes:

CHACHI
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Howard, are your seats mounted on boxes or pedestals?

Ken

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Boxes, unfortunately. :cool: