PDA

View Full Version : GM ends factory support for Nascar.......

Donziweasel
06-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Cut off the Nationwide and Truck series.......

Still have Dodge, Ford and Toyota........

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/bg/06/12/gm.cuts.nationwide.truck.support/index.html

The belt tightens.........

Donziweasel
06-13-2009, 07:57 AM
It costs somewhere between 25 and 30 million a year to run a competitve Sprint cup team. There is the Army car, National Guard car, and occasional Navy car. Lot of money for our military to go racin'. Poodle, I agree.....:)

zelatore
06-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I recall an interview from when the military (forget which branch) first started sponsoring a car. People were giving them crap about spending the money on racing. They countered that it was one of the most cost-effective recruiting tools they had yet tried.

Barry Eller
06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I just got my Nationwide Homeowners Policy Renewal. A 35% increase in the premiums.

I guess I'm helping pay for the Nationwide Racing Series.

mrfixxall
06-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I recall an interview from when the military (forget which branch) first started sponsoring a car. People were giving them crap about spending the money on racing. They countered that it was one of the most cost-effective recruiting tools they had yet tried.

I tgink it all started in the nhra aka army funny car then went into motorsports from their.

f_inscreenname
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
'bout time..

Now, can we get the military to pull their funds out?

It's a recruiting tool guys. It's not just the car rolling down or around the track. It's TV time, recruiting booths, making the military look cool with their fly overs, kids wearing their T shirts.... They have done massive studies on this (which probably cost more then the original sponsorships) and it pays off a ton more then red brick buildings in the inner city with a poster in the window. You also have to go where the people your trying to get are at. The "HELL YA" folks who want to go kill some Commies. It's also a whole lot better then going to a high school and having some parents group protesting.

dfunde01
06-13-2009, 02:54 PM
'bout time..
Now, can we get the military to pull their funds out?
I feel the same way about the National Endowment for the Arts. At least the military gets an effective recruiting tool in return.

GM is staying with the Sprint Cup Series.

MOP
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I Heard the Chinese bought Hummer is there any truth to them now selling us back military Hummers?

BUIZILLA
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
they didn't get the military stuff..

f_inscreenname
06-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Anyone know what they paid for hummer? The number I heard is just plain stupid...

Why would it be any different then giving Chrysler to Fiat, UAW and the Fed.

RickSE
06-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Anyone know what they paid for hummer? The number I heard is just plain stupid...

The H2's & H3's are just plain stupid, they can have them.

mrfixxall
06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I Heard the Chinese bought Hummer is there any truth to them now selling us back military Hummers?

Well then lets hope they put a more powerful engine it it instead of the gas guzzeling 6.0 or the whimpy 6.5!

Carl C
06-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Off topic but, yeah, if Hummer isn't going to offer the military H1 any more what's the point? Who ever is lucky enough to have an H1, I hope you take care of it.

As far as the Nascar thing, who cares. I don't watch it. JMO. I don't watch wrestling either so what do I know.........:popcorn:

Ghost
06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I feel the same way about the National Endowment for the Arts. At least the military gets an effective recruiting tool in return.

GM is staying with the Sprint Cup Series.

Now you've done it. Pretty soon the NEA will have a car...

show-n-go h2o
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
As far as the Nascar thing, who cares. I don't watch it. JMO. I don't watch wrestling either so what do I know.........:popcorn:

x2:pretzel: