PDA

View Full Version : ZXO Blues

VetteLT193
06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, I finally found a ZXO to actually buy. A 2003 that was on eBay, blue/silver, with low hours.

Talked to the guy on the phone and negotiated a price, planned on being there Saturday. I've been overnighting documents between me and USAA to make sure the check gets here on time. He was worried about the check from USAA (which is like cash, written to him with an authorization number on it so it can be cashed at the bank) so he was going to talk to his accountant to make sure everything was ok with that and call me back. That was the only hang up whatsoever, and it's literally an issue with us being there on the weekend instead of the week when the bank is open.

Then he calls last night and leaves a voice mail. "Call me before you get in the car to come up because I think the boat is sold, I got a deposit for a cash deal from a guy on the lake". So I'm thinking: Uhhh... we already negotiated the price and I have a loan in place because the boat is supposed to be 'sold' to me?!?!?!

What in raging hell is up with people??? I haven't called him back yet, just super super PO'ed right now.

zelatore
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I think everybody here has a story along those lines. Sorry to hear about it, but some people simply have no moral concern about jerking somebody around. I could understand if you had a verbal deal but were still a long way from actually getting the boat, but it sounds like not only had you made the deal but you were practically on the way to come get it - as he obviously knew from the message to 'call before getting in the car'.

If there's any justice in the world, the guys' local buyer will jerk him around and he'll end up getting less for it than if he'd stuck to his deal with you. Not that it helps you any, but it would serve him right.

Keep up the search - there's got to be another good one out there.

SilverBack
06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I am sorry to hear about your trouble. I think that this kind of thing happens more often on internet deals that people think. I have heard several stories. I hope that everything works out and you find the boat that you are looking for.

VetteLT193
06-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks Zel. We literally were done with this deal pending me driving up there + a 10 minute test run and do the final transaction.

I'm sure I'll find another one, It's just odd thinking that we planned for Sunday to be out in the 'new boat' and now I'm back searching.

VetteLT193
06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Hate to ask it, but: Did you have a deposit down? If not, boat (or anything) is for sale until someone does..

I asked if he wanted one, he said no. A deposit is nothing compared to the crap I went through getting the loan... I thought he would have wanted a deposit but I assumed he didn't care because it was only 3 days waiting. We had it confirmed as a "done deal, see you Saturday" as of Wednesday night.

rtgogo
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Hate to hear your gettin jerked around. I had a similar experience two seasons ago. Found "the boat" and wired the seller a 10% deposit to hold her a week while I arranged transport. Called him a week later to arrange pickup and payment of remaining $50k and he informed me his wife was letting him keep it. Got my deposit back that day and was really pissed so I know where you are right now.......It took me a while to get over the burn, but found my donzi a few months later and previous owner still checks in with me occasionally to see how she's runnin. Bottom line is that I wouldn't buy a used boat from anyone who pulls that sh!? b/c just think of what else they've lied about if they don't have the character to honor your deal. Good Luck!

gold-n-rod
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Bottom line is that I wouldn't buy a used boat from anyone who pulls that sh!? b/c just think of what else they've lied about if they don't have the character to honor your deal. Good Luck!

Good advice. From my personal experience, EVERY time I missed out on what I thought was the best deal on a [boat, car, house, camera, whatever] it turned out I found something [better, cheaper, faster, cooler, classier]. You will too!

:crossfing:

RedDog
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I think everybody here has a story along those lines...

Hell - I've had a Donzi net board member do it to me - had to eat a plane ticket to Sarasota

Just as well - I'm probably better off with the 22 I ended up buying

KerrLake
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Good advice. From my personal experience, EVERY time I missed out on what I thought was the best deal on a [boat, car, house, camera, whatever] it turned out I found something [better, cheaper, faster, cooler, classier]. You will too!

:crossfing:

+1 You'll find another.

VetteLT193
06-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys, I just needed to vent. Back to searching :crossfing:

BUIZILLA
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
if he didn't ask or he denied a deposit, he has an ethical responsibility to close the deal...

emphasis on the word ETHICAL

Trueser
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
When I got mine I threw a deposit down and a check for the remainder.

Did he have a clear title? sounds like he has second thoughts on the price.

I'm sure you can find another one.

mrfixxall
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
mabe this one will cure the pain:)

https://sellaboat.com/Users/Jbubert/Donzi_280_zxo.aspx

BUIZILLA
06-12-2009, 11:16 AM
why not put a 572 in a single?

Trueser
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Or increase the pain.

Single engine :bonk:

mrfixxall
06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Or increase the pain.

with a little twist of the knife!

trues, i think the one he was looking at had a single 496 in it..

im with you on the twin engine set up and it would probably get the same fuel economy if not better with the twins!

VetteLT193
06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
if he didn't ask or he denied a deposit, he has an ethical responsibility to close the deal...

emphasis on the word ETHICAL

Yeah... I don't think this guy has heard of ethics.

When I got mine I threw a deposit down and a check for the remainder.

Did he have a clear title? sounds like he has second thoughts on the price.

I'm sure you can find another one.

Yes, clear title. he's selling because the wife won't let him buy an airplane until it is gone :nilly: he has 4 other boats including a sportfish. I figured if anything, that would make him easier to deal with considering I was coming up so quickly. It is in a business name, so my educated opinion is he is going to write the sale up for a lot less than it sold for and write it off as a loss. He couldn't do that with me because of the single check.

mabe this one will cure the pain:)
https://sellaboat.com/Users/Jbubert/Donzi_280_zxo.aspx

I really want twins.

VetteLT193
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Nope, Twin 350 MPI's with hydraulic steering and silent choice. Those are the 'big' options for me personally. It's a 2003 with 50 hours and that was verified with a merc tech. Also had just been serviced including drives, oil, belts, and batteries.

I'll try to find the link here in a minute...

SilverBack
06-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Or increase the pain.

Et tu, Brute?

The Hedgehog
06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Et tu, Brute?

Nice comeback!

Cuda
06-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Times are tough out there, and cash is king. I had offers for the 22 I sold Howard O that were a good bit higher, Howard offered cash, where the other "deals" were contigent on this or that. Until you hand over cold hard cash, there is no deal as far as I'm concerned. Suppose I turned down Howards offer, for another offer that may have been a few hundred more, and the deals with all the contigencies all fell through and I ended up holding the bag? You have to look on both sides of the equation, I know I did, and decided I'd rather have the hard cold cash that Howard offered, rather that pie in the sky of a contingent deal. If a guy says he wants to buy something contingent of something or other, he can find a reason NOT to buy it, if he thinks he found a sweeter deal elsewhere. Some people make offers on several different boats, to keep their options open to decide which is the better deal, or use one deal against another to chew the price down. To me, that is more unethical than telling you up front not to come, because he had a cash deal instead. I belive in GTM. Get The Money! Normally, you first hard cold offer will be your best offer. I'm saying this from experience. Everybody wants to buy a boat, but not everybody has the cash to buy a boat, and I personally would have taken the cash myself.

Nothing personal, but purely business. It's a sound busines practice to go with a hard cold cash deal, than to risk someone not buying a boat for whatever reason. It's like when I bought the same 22. I saw it on ebay, and it was only about 20 miles from me, so I drove over there, looked at the boat, and decided I wanted it. It was still up for auctin on ebay, and I told the guy I'd give him X amount of CASH TODAY. The auction was ending later that day, and he kept checking his computer to see if the auction was higher than the amount of cash I was offering him, I eplained to him, just what I just now said. Any "deal" on ebay can fall through at anytime, and ebay really can't do a damn thing about it. You get warnings when you put a bid in that you are entering a legal contract, but I can tell you for a fact, when it all boils down to it, they can't do a damn thing. I "sold" the same two jet skis and trailer TWICE on ebay, and never heard another word from the 'buyers". I ended ujp trading the jet skis and trailer to a guy in my neighborhood for a large all aluminum panel van, which I traded for a 14 foot aluminum v-hull Monach boat with a practically never used 9.8 hors 1986 Mercury outboard who's house were so low, the original paint on the original prop was still on it. I kept it for about 10 years, and sold it to a freind of mine last year for $1000. Again, I could have gotten more for it, but I knew the guy, and I knew his dad has just died and what he was going thru. Sometimes, for me anyway, it's not always about the money, although it's begiining to seem to me, that it's always about the money, ever when it's our own government involved. I would have never in my wildest dreams would have thunk that.

Cuda
06-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Btw, Howard is happy with the boat, and I was happy to have the cash. It was a win/win situation for us both.

The Hedgehog
06-13-2009, 07:44 AM
why not put a 572 in a single?

Now that's an idea. I dunno why nobody likes that one.

Pull out one 496 and sell. Install one 572 (there will be some pains but that 28 has a TON of room under that hatch). A BBC is a treat to work on, service ect under that hatch. Voila, one 70+mph boat! Done right you could keep the silent choice and all the goodies and add the steering (no big deal).

The Hedgehog
06-13-2009, 07:48 AM
with a little twist of the knife!
im with you on the twin engine set up and it would probably get the same fuel economy if not better with the twins!

Fixx, he is a really big deal because he has Scorps:)

They are nice reliable packages but even blue motors have problems every once and a while.

Donziweasel
06-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Bill, quit trying to confuse the man........and me along with him.....:):bonk::wink:

Hmmm.....twins vs a single. I'd love to have twins, mainly because out of the 10 boats I have owned, I have never had twins (boats, not kids....:)) Reliability is a good piont for twins.

Boo Boo wants a wakeboard boat with a cuddy for the kids. A single would probably make a better wake. I was waiting till Vette got his and was going to ask him about the wake. A 572 with a blower sounds might nice......plus 14,000.00 is a pretty good price for that engine. And yes, Jim, I saw the exhaust is included..........:)

BUIZILLA
06-13-2009, 08:01 AM
And yes, Jim, I saw the exhaust is included..........:) and he lowered the package price to 12k, that's about 28-30k worth of parts for a turn key 12k :yes:

zelatore
06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
You guys need to either stop talking about that motor or give me your address to send my credit card bills to....:bonk:

Donziweasel
06-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Come on Don, just pull the blower off the 502, sell the motor, buy the 572 and slap your blower on it.......I know you have 14,000.00 laying around....:wink::bonk::)

BUIZILLA
06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
and he lowered the package price to 12k, that's about 28-30k worth of parts for a turn key 12k :yes:
paying attention in class wasn't your finest forte' I see.. :bonk:

zelatore
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Oh, I saw that. I was already doing the math on a $10K offer in my head. I also saw the part about trades and started wondering what I have that he might want...Too bad all I could think of was my bike, and that ain't going away.

zelatore
06-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I think it was Kieth who said something about a slippery slope...?

BUIZILLA
06-13-2009, 10:22 AM
thread hijack..

mrfixxall
06-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Come on Don, just pull the blower off the 502, sell the motor, buy the 572 and slap your blower on it.......I know you have 14,000.00 laying around....:wink::bonk::)

DW your just trying to get zel's blower paxkage for your critter:lookaroun:

Donziweasel
06-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Maybe............:)

He needs and engine, I need a blower.......

mrfixxall
06-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Maybe............:)
He needs and engine, I need a blower.......

I have 2 blowers but im using them:)

The Hedgehog
06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I have 2 blowers but im using them:)

Formula?

mrfixxall
06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Formula?
YEP!:biggrin.: remember the 2 pics i posted? look at the crank pully:lookaroun:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57781&page=3

The Hedgehog
06-14-2009, 05:31 PM
YEP!:biggrin.: remember the 2 pics i posted? look at the crank pully:lookaroun:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57781&page=3

Hmmm, That may be one to watch.

I may have to give you a shout tomorrow to catch up. Sounds like you are getting the game face on.