PDA

View Full Version : Fuel flow meter.....

HOWARD O
06-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Today I installed one of those cheap fuel meters. I had installed one on my skiff a couple years ago and it worked great, so I thought I'd try it on the Donzi. This model was a Northstar F250, which is the very same as the old Navman, as Northstar apparently bought them out.

I knew I needed to install the transducer, which is nothing more than an enclosed paddle wheel, after the fuel filter and that it should be in a vertical position. What I did NOT know is whether or not it could be past the fuel pump, as that wasn't an issue with an outboard. Tearing open the packaging, it had further instructions for installing the transducer and it said before the fuel pump. So it sits in a vertical position basically under the fuel pump and is kind of suspended in mid air there. That worked well since it's away from heat and vibration.

Anyway, got everything hooked up and it seems to work great. Filled up and entered the total gallons and went for a ride. Once I get the GPS hooked up, I'll be able to get some good numbers. But at a 3500 rpm cruise, it is registering around 12.5 to 13 GPH. Over twice as much as my skiff at WFO!

I expected that kind of fuel consumption, but I really wanted it so I could not worry so much about my range and running out of gas.....which I did a couple months ago. :eek:

Anyway, easy install and the unit was around $125. Beats the gas gauge any day! FWIW, the unit on my skiff was accurate to less than a gallon when I went to refuel. I think this will be too. :yes:

deejay
06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I am new so don't know what power and boat you are getting that gph in. Would like to know if you don't mind. Thanks, deejay

KerrLake
06-11-2009, 04:08 PM
It sounds like his 22 classic has a hole in the tank!!

HOWARD O
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I am new so don't know what power and boat you are getting that gph in. Would like to know if you don't mind. Thanks, deejay

I'm sorry, that was dumb. It's a 22' with the original 454/330hp TRS drive.

HOWARD O
06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
It sounds like his 22 classic has a hole in the tank!!

Sure does! I bet yours has an even BIGGER hole! :kingme:

MOP
06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
At 3,500 you may be into the secondaries dumping a little extra, try 32-33 see how much your results change.

Phil

deejay
06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I also have a 454/330 22C so this sure of interest to me. What is your mph @ 35? I will also be real interested in your numbers @ 32 -33. As you can tell I am brand new at this and interested in all the get started info I can get. Thanks, deejay

CHACHI
06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Howie, we are expecting a spreadsheet by Monday.

Ken

HOWARD O
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I'll hopefully get to that GPS on Friday, so I'll have some concrete numbers for y'all over the weekend.

Phil, I'm sure you're right, I just went for a quick spin to be sure it works. 3500 just "feels" good. Excel will tell all I guess!

What year is your boat, deejay? Where are you located?

Howard

KerrLake
06-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Sure does! I bet yours has an even BIGGER hole! :kingme:
I would be afraid to install one of those. I might stay at the dock too much!

DickB
06-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I had a Navman on a previous boat. Based on engine and RPM, your numbers sound about right to me.

HOWARD O
06-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Dick, I really had nothing to compare to.

HOWARD O
06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I would be afraid to install one of those. I might stay at the dock too much!

I don't think I'll be leaving it on the "flow" setting, it's like a constant reminder! But then I read about these real go-fasts with the triples and such, then I don't feel too bad at all! It's all relative. :yes:

zelatore
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't think I'll be leaving it on the "flow" setting, it's like a constant reminder! But then I read about these real go-fasts with the triples and such, then I don't feel too bad at all! It's all relative. :yes:

After seeing some of the burn rates on our big boats, I decided I'd never worry about what the Donzi burns. I'd have to hook the bilge pump up to the tank to get close to what they go through in an hour.

CHACHI
06-12-2009, 06:04 AM
When I went for a test ride in a 43 ZR fuel consumption was over 200 GPH at 115 MPH with 2 Merc Racing 1075's at WFO.

I don't think you could pick up and empty 40-5 gallon gas cans in an hour!

Ken

deejay
06-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Howard O, we are located in Charleston, SC. Where in NC are you? We have a '95 22 C with a new 454 330 in the install process. Deejay

HOWARD O
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
When I went for a test ride in a 43 ZR fuel consumption was over 200 GPH at 115 MPH with 2 Merc Racing 1075's at WFO.

I don't think you could pick up and empty 40-5 gallon gas cans in an hour!

Ken

Wow! That's just a different world altogether! :shocking:

HOWARD O
06-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Howard O, we are located in Charleston, SC. Where in NC are you? We have a '95 22 C with a new 454 330 in the install process. Deejay

deejay, we're in New Bern, just east of Morehead City. Sounds like a great boat. Photos! We need photos!

I am almost finished installing my GPS, just have to connect the power to it now. But it's dark and I'm tired. Removed the windshield today and installed new rubber grommets, etc. I need a new windshield., it's chequed, cracked in a couple places and generally looks like crap. :boggled: Also installed the GPS....well, almost.

I did go for a ride this evening at dusk, cruising at 3200 I am getting exactly 10 GPH. It'll be interesting to get my speed readings tomorrow. I believe you'll be more efficient, I assume you're running a Bravo drive.

My wife and I have been wanting to visit Charleston for the longest time now! :yes:

HOWARD O
06-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I didn't write numbers down, just went for a test run with the GPS now installed. It's working perfect. Here are 2 numbers off the top of my head:

3200 RPM - 10gph - @ 38 mph
3500 RPM - 12.5 gph - @ 45 mph

I was thoroughly happy as I got it up to 63 mph and I didn't leave it there long, it may have climbed to 65. I guess the boat is running better than I thought! It doesn't run well at WFO though, no misses or anything like that, but it almost sounds like it may be starving for fuel a bit. Kind of up and down, hard to describe. But that's okay, poor thing is 27 years old.....I won't be doing that much, if at all. For the most part, it runs just perfect. :)

BUIZILLA
06-14-2009, 10:44 AM
that's right on the money for that combo... your at 3.8 mpg at 3200 and 3.6 mpg at 3500, or your using 2.5 gph more to go another 7 miles in the same hour... for .2 tenths/mpg/hour, so i'd run it at 3500 :yes: the surging could be either rich OR lean... it'll fool ya sometimes... is the anti surge valve still in the tank fitting?

HOWARD O
06-14-2009, 12:20 PM
that's right on the money for that combo... your at 3.8 mpg at 3200 and 3.6 mpg at 3500, or your using 2.5 gph more to go another 7 miles in the same hour... for .2 tenths/mpg/hour, so i'd run it at 3500 :yes: the surging could be either rich OR lean... it'll fool ya sometimes... is the anti surge valve still in the tank fitting?

Thanks for those figures, Jim. I said in an earlier post that 3500 just felt good and it likes to sit at that rpm....if you know what I mean. :cool:

There is no anti-surge valve. I forget what jets I settled on, I'll experiment with that and the timing next. I "think" I have the timing set at 10 initial, but not sure.

Thanks!

deejay
06-15-2009, 04:02 PM
You can't be more than ~ 3 to 4 hrs from Chas. Perhaps we can put something together this summer. Glad to have the gph/mph numbers from your test. Dwight danneaux@knology.net

HOWARD O
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Great looking boat, Dwight! I've always loved the teal color on these boats.

We get down to Myrtle Beach once in a while, about 2.5 hours. I don't mind driving, but I'm working on a new trailer. Would love to head down there sometime!

deejay
06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Howard, I am having some performance issues as you can see from my "Rookie Questions" post today on this list. As part of that I am interested in what prop you were using during your flow meter/speed testing last June. Also, are you still happy with that flow meter you installed?

MOP
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Howard for BB you are doing fine, I get just over 4 with my SB 22. The TRS adds a bit of drag but is a great drive for durability. My cruise @ 3200 is 42-3 MPH swinging a 23" 4B Turbo Ultima, what are you running for a wheel?

Phil