PDA

View Full Version : Damn Dipstick.!!

fogducker III
06-11-2009, 12:09 PM
This will seem trivial and silly but.............I am having a real hard time getting a true reading of my engine oil level with the "marine" dipstick I have......:frown:

It is the front of engine mounted one that you can screw an oil draining pump onto for easy oil changes. This set-up obviously has to have the really long dipstick. The problem is when I slide the dipstick back in to get a reading it picks up residual oil along the passage when it goes in and again when it comes out and it is impossible to tell the true oil level...........is there any other way to tell oil level...???

BUIZILLA
06-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I wait a couple minutes before I check it after wiping it off.. this is a family site... :eek:

fegettes
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
try it with the engine not running.

fogducker III
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
try it with the engine not running.

didn't think of that.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I guess there is no other way of getting a level reading.....?

I do wait for a long while with engine sitting before I try for a reading, as the dipstick comes out of the tube I guess it "drags" along the wall of the tube and skews the reading.........

VetteLT193
06-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I like the regular old dipsticks. the ones that are only about 2 feet long Vs. any of the newer engines that have 3 miles of dipstick. In the Navigator I have a hard time just getting the darn thing back in because it is so long... it's so long it's actually two strips of metal bonded together half way down the thing.

So, I feel your pain.

mrfixxall
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I like the regular old dipsticks. the ones that are only about 2 feet long Vs. any of the newer engines that have 3 miles of dipstick. In the Navigator I have a hard time just getting the darn thing back in because it is so long... it's so long it's actually two strips of metal bonded together half way down the thing.
So, I feel your pain.

hard time just getting the darn thing back in because it is so long... it's so long !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like we have the same problem:biggrin:

Slight air pressure works too@ not to much or you will be wearing it..

fegettes
06-11-2009, 02:59 PM
didn't think of that.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I guess there is no other way of getting a level reading.....?

I do wait for a long while with engine sitting before I try for a reading, as the dipstick comes out of the tube I guess it "drags" along the wall of the tube and skews the reading.........

Sorry.

Actually, I have the same long dip stick. The times I have checked my oil have always been before running the boat when there isn't oil on the side of the tube because I had the same problem of reading the stick after running the engine.

And I have also had the misfortune of the stick getting stuck in the tube and breaking the end off. I had a difficult time trying to get that stuck stick out of there.

fogducker III
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Sorry.

Actually, I have the same long dip stick. The times I have checked my oil have always been before running the boat when there isn't oil on the side of the tube because I had the same problem of reading the stick after running the engine.

And I have also had the misfortune of the stick getting stuck in the tube and breaking the end off. I had a difficult time trying to get that stuck stick out of there.

No problem.......

I haven't yet broken the stick but it does get caught up at times..:frown:

I might look into a stock shorter stick and see the logistics of installing one of those.....:confused:

VetteLT193
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I might look into a stock shorter stick and see the logistics of installing one of those.....:confused:

you should be able to get the threaded kind and tap the oil pan. but getting the oil pan off is no walk in the park.

Easier to just take your time with the one you have and make it work. :boggled:

Danny
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
350 ChrisCraft,FLV (LT1 vette based)same issues with the dipstick.
I agree that the time to check it is when the motor is cold and all the residual oil has drain out of the tube. I tried to figure out a way to go to the conventional spot on the block when I rebiult year but the manifolds made it virtually impossible. Ending up using the same scenario back into the bottom/side of the oil pan.
If someone has another solution I'd like to hear about it as well.
Damn Dipstick Damn Donzi
Danny

MOP
06-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Look down near the starter on the block the boss for the automotive dip stick should be there, doubt they did anything other then plug it for the marine engines. It may be possible to put the automotive tube and stick in, not real sure depends on how it is plugged.

Phil

fogducker III
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Look down near the starter on the block the boss for the automotive dip stick should be there, doubt they did anything other then plug it for the marine engines. It may be possible to put the automotive tube and stick in, not real sure depends on how it is plugged.

Phil

Good point MOP, the problem is that they used that same outlet/input for the new, longer "marine" dipstick.........I need to find out how they mounted that new one to see if I can retrofit an old one...........:confused: Friggin thing.....:shocking:

mrfixxall
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Good point MOP, the problem is that they used that same outlet/input for the new, longer "marine" dipstick.........I need to find out how they mounted that new one to see if I can retrofit an old one...........:confused: Friggin thing.....:shocking:

you cant get the plug out unless you pull the engine and remove the oil pan and drive it out from the bottom..its a tappered plug!

MOP
06-12-2009, 07:27 AM

The one you have the tube goes to the bottom of the pan where the drain would normally be for full oil extraction. The one you is Ok until it is turned, once it developes a twist it is a real pain. Sounds dumb but being flat it must go back in the same way each time, they used to aggravate me also. Years back I tried a hunk of control cable wire, the control cable wire with the end bent into a tight loop went in and out like a breeze, I mentioned it to the local Merc rep but nothing came of it. The stick stops just before the last bend in the tube and reads the oil level in the tube, it does not extend into the pan.

Phil

tommymonza
06-12-2009, 07:47 AM
My old Yanmar used to be a pain also to read the stick. What i found out was if you yanked the stick out really quick it was siphoning oil up the tube and skewing the reading.If you pull the 1st inch of tube up very slowly and than pull iy out normally from there it will give you a true reading.

fogducker III
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
ALL good points and tips gentlemen, thank you!

I will deal with it the way it is for now, when I pull the motor I WILL install the old style........:yes::wink: