PDA

View Full Version : 1969 donzi 18 on Boat Trader

Petee390
06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I have been looking for a 18 for a while and came across this one. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1969-Donzi-18,-2+3-classic-95242743

I would appreciate any input. This would be my first Donzi. Do any of you know the boat? I am calling on it later today. Thanks.

Donzi Vol
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
The grumble green was original in those days, so I believe the claims about the original gelcoat. This is a cool feature, but I would ask for some close up pictures of the deck, as hairline cracks occur...sometimes in a pretty big way. The chevy and alpha are not original, but if you're just looking for a good running boat rather than all original, then it's a great set-up. I would ask for more pictures and all the details that the seller can provide. Ask if the gas tank has been changed out. If the transom has been rebuilt, then there's a good chance the desk has been off and the tank replaced...which is a great thing. If all checks out, then $6800 is a good deal. If you need any help or have any more questions, feel free to shoot me an email at ramey.david@yahoo.com

All the best,
-David

Kirbyvv
06-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Definately confirm that the fuel tank has been replaced.

JimG
06-11-2009, 09:11 PM
My tank is original, no problems at all.

mrfixxall
06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
My tank is original, no problems at all.

Mine too! had it pressure tested when i redid it 10 yrs ago and acid bath then sealed inside so it wont rust..no issues yet:crossfing:

RW2003
06-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I am calling on it later today. Thanks.

So did you find out any more info?

Petee390
06-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Finally talked to him tonight. It is also listed on Craigs with 3 more photos. http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/1207327714.html
Here is what I found out from him.
-The fuel tank has been replaced. He took it out and had a fab shop duplicate it.
-The engine is not a mercruiser. It's a 4 bolt main truck block with modified heads, a mild cam, electronic ignition, and a rochester quad jet.
-He thinks the drive is a 1984
-The hull had bottom paint that was mostly removed. When I asked about the stress cracks He said the engine hatch ad some but only on the stripe.
-He has repaired the rear lifting eye (he said there has a hole there when he got it). He also had the rear seat support recored due to delamination.
-The seats were redone when he got the boat in 91.
-Drive was removed for winter storage.
Thats about it, if you guys can think of some moe questions I will be sure to ask him. Nice guy. Let me know what you guys think is it worth a 16 hr round trip to look or should I take a pass. Thanks
Scott

Just Say N20
06-12-2009, 09:18 PM
It seems like some of the major stuff has been done. But, it is a 40 year old boat, so the chances that something might need attention will be there.

That having been said, a couple of months ago I drove a 25 hour round trip for a 1967 16 Ski-Sporter that needs more attention than the one you are looking at.

If this is within your budget, and you feel the guy is being honest with you, what's a 16 hour road trip to get a DONZI? I'd go for it.