PDA

View Full Version : Had some issues this past weekend....

JustMercMe
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Wanted to get you guys' opinions on some problems I had this weekend.

#1) I got back home sunday and decided to splash it in the river and run it a lil and flush the salt out. Noticed that the tabs were stuck in the down position. Usually when you shut the boat off they return to normal. It did this a couple of weeks ago and I had to switch battery power off and back on to reset the system I guess and they returned to normal...This time however they decided to be an MF'er. I had to switch the key on and play with the switches while tapping on the "brain box" before they would work again......They would go down but not up....Any suggestions? The tabs are Bennet from the factory.

#2) Got to the sandbar and noticed the bilge was pumping. Popped the hatch and noticed water in the boat. Shut her down and found that the top hose(red) running to the water pump had what looked like a "splice" in it about half way between the pump and outdrive. The slice looked like it had come apart and was pumping water in the boat. I was able to slide it back together and the water stopped. This has me worried b/c nothing "snapped" or "grabbed" when I put it back together though it worked fine and did not leak anymore....Anybody else had this problem on the 496 HO?

Thanks guys.

Tidbart
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
1) sounds like one of the relays is sticking. Maybe salt got to it. If I remember correctly there should be an up and a down relay. Maybe that is the drive trim pump. Oops.
Check voltage on batts and alternator. If OK, check, clean with wire brush or steel wool, and reinstall all the electrical connections at the pump.
This is what I would do first before proceeding with pump issues.

2), no hose clamps it? Look here
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=881784001&ivar=images/COMMON/8435.png&inbr=11414&bnbr=190&bdesc=Raw+Water+Cooling+System
B

yeller
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
By "brain box" are you referring to the black box under the dash? If so, that's the 'auto retract' relay. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/autotabretractor.php?cID=3
I had problems with mine so I got rid of it. I didn't like having my tabs raise everytime I shut the boat off anyways.

Disconnect it and see if your problems go away. The tabs won't automatically raise anymore, but it will tell you whether it was causing the control problem or not.

I also had an unrelated problem with my tabs going down but not up, and it ended up being the rocker switches were broken internally. Called Bennett and they sent me a new set for free.

MOP
06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Send an email Attn: Tom @ Bennet, he has been super in the past replacing dead parts. It sure is worth a try!

Phil

Just Say N20
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Every time Bennett is mentioned, I am going to plug them. They do a fantastic job with customer service! :biggrin:

JustMercMe
06-11-2009, 08:25 AM
2), no hose clamps it? Look here
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=881784001&ivar=images/COMMON/8435.png&inbr=11414&bnbr=190&bdesc=Raw+Water+Cooling+System
B

It's part 17 & 18 though mine are plastic(not stainless steel)....Says quick connect...I'll be back around the boat tonight and I'll take another look at it.

JustMercMe
06-11-2009, 08:30 AM
By "brain box" are you referring to the black box under the dash? If so, that's the 'auto retract' relay. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/autotabretractor.php?cID=3
I had problems with mine so I got rid of it. I didn't like having my tabs raise everytime I shut the boat off anyways.

Disconnect it and see if your problems go away. The tabs won't automatically raise anymore, but it will tell you whether it was causing the control problem or not.

I also had an unrelated problem with my tabs going down but not up, and it ended up being the rocker switches were broken internally. Called Bennett and they sent me a new set for free.

The box that I was tapping is actually attached to the transom above the pump. I'll call Bennett about them not coming up.....May have the same problem you were having. Thanks.

DickB
06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I have Bennett tabs on my '99, no brain box. One of the tabs behaved just like yours this spring: it would extend, but did not always retract. I cycled it several times - this took maybe 15 minutes, because as I said most of the time it would not retract. The pump would run but no movement. So I would just pause and try it again. After exercising it like this, full extend and full retract, it started working and has been fine since. I suspect a solenoid stuck, but don't know for sure.

Carl C
06-12-2009, 06:18 AM
The hose has spring clips that snap and lock when pushed together. Yours may not have been locked in place or the wire clip may be missing. Lubing it with anti-freeze can help; That hose is stiff. Bennett will take care of your tab problem if you have it narrowed down.