PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top Broke Blues pic,s broken alum tube

fasttrucker
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Well I was trying to be cheap,$324.99, and my Westland alum. top broke 1st day out.(kit made in china)They are making me a new S.S. one(us made) upcharge $200 + $20 shipping.Should be here in two weeks.They are including two more support poles.So, no straps on this new top.Accon quick rel. mounts About $180 for six.Anyway, Ill have about $750 in this when Iam done.Could have bought a custom fit+installed top for$1000.

VetteLT193
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Well I was trying to be cheap,$324.99, and my Westland alum. top broke 1st day out.(kit made in china)They are making me a new S.S. one(us made) upcharge $200 + $20 shipping.Should be here in two weeks.They are including two more support poles.So, no straps on this new top.Accon quick rel. mounts About $180 for six.Anyway, Ill have about $750 in this when Iam done.Could have bought a custom fit+installed top for$1000.

how fast did you go with it up? I haven't seen that happen before, even at cruising speeds.

Just Say N20
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I am convinced that the quality of metal used in China is WAY below what we are used to.

BUIZILLA
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
they use metal? :nilly:

Barry Eller
06-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep, Stainless Steel is the only way to go. Be sure the ends are welded to the fittings, set screws will not hold.

MOP
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
If welding is a problem what I have done is to drill part way through with a tad over 3/16", drilling the other IE the exit side 5/32". Then tapping the 5/32" for the 10/32 3/16" screw and LocTite, then do a neat job of cutting the screw off and filing the but end. You and also drill all the way through and use cap nuts and LocTite.

Phil

zelatore
06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I am convinced that the quality of metal used in China is WAY below what we are used to.

Having dealt with a few Chinese made boats, I agree 1000%!

da donz
06-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Did you take any pictures of it on and in it's prime before it broke?

fasttrucker
06-11-2009, 02:50 PM
how fast did you go with it up? I haven't seen that happen before, even at cruising speeds.Just up on a plane,3000 rpm with tabs down.Windy day and top was not flat,lower at front,maybe too much.Going to remount it more flat next time.

fasttrucker
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Did you take any pictures of it on and in it's prime before it broke?
No pictures, wish I would have,

fasttrucker
06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Yep, Stainless Steel is the only way to go. Be sure the ends are welded to the fittings, set screws will not hold.
They used a rivet system on the alum. top.Step #8)Using a hammer,punch the drill rivets provided into the end cap and tube to attach the end cap to the tube.I did this for the Rear Brace Assembly.Not sure how the stainless top will come,will see.

fasttrucker
06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
If welding is a problem what I have done is to drill part way through with a tad over 3/16", drilling the other IE the exit side 5/32". Then tapping the 5/32" for the 10/32 3/16" screw and LocTite, then do a neat job of cutting the screw off and filing the but end. You and also drill all the way through and use cap nuts and LocTite.

Phil
Will check the ends when top is here,thanks for the tip.

VetteLT193
06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Just up on a plane,3000 rpm with tabs down.Windy day and top was not flat,lower at front,maybe too much.Going to remount it more flat next time.

That is ridiculously defective. :nilly:

Tom Smith
06-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Can't remembeer the numbers exactly from my days of flying Ultralites, but drilling a hole in aluminum tubing weakens it terribly. We always inserted a tight fitting wooden dowel in the aluminum before drilling to spread the load out beyond the hole, and it stayed in there to prevent compression when tightening the bolts or what ever.. I'm still here after hundreds of hours in the air, so it must work. That said, we were using aircraft grade tubing, which is made to a much higher standard. I was thinking of putting a Bimini on my 18'. Now that I see guys are doing it, I didn't want to be a woosie and have the only sun shade, I will have one made for my boat, but I think I will go the SS route, just to be sure.
Buy cheap, buy twice ! Tom Smith, 1967 Donzi 2+3, Bluebird

Barry Eller
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I was thinking of putting a Bimini on my 18'. Now that I see guys are doing it, I didn't want to be a woosie and have the only sun shade, I will have one made for my boat, but I think I will go the SS route, just to be sure.
Buy cheap, buy twice ! Tom Smith, 1967 Donzi 2+3, Bluebird

A BIMINI DOES NOT MAKE YOU A "WOOSIE"....SKIN CANCER DOES NOT MAKE YOU A MAN!:cool:

Tom Smith
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Amen to that. I sure have had my fair share of skin cancers over the years. 37 years of working outside on road construction will do that to a guy. We never thought of putting sun tan lotion on back then. Man, are we paying for it now.
I have to check locally and see who uses stainless framing for bimini's. My boat is definately getting one. The Mrs will like it too. It get hot out on the water here in NC. Tom

Barry Eller
06-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Amen to that. I sure have had my fair share of skin cancers over the years. 37 years of working outside on road construction will do that to a guy. We never thought of putting sun tan lotion on back then. Man, are we paying for it now.
I have to check locally and see who uses stainless framing for bimini's. My boat is definately getting one. The Mrs will like it too. It get hot out on the water here in NC. Tom

I was born in North Wilkesboro, NC. My family moved to Florida in 1961. Where in NC are you?

Be sure you thru-bolt the bimini top mounts. I can run 70+ with my top up.

Barry

zelatore
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
I was born in North Wilkesboro, NC. My family moved to Florida in 1961. Where in NC are you?
Be sure you thru-bolt the bimini top mounts. I can run 70+ with my top up.
Barry

I'm surprised the Sunbrella holds up at those speeds. You could build a super-strong framework, but the fabric has got to be at the limit of it's ability to hold a stitch.

Where's GeorgeC on this thread? He was all about the Buzzi aero wings on old designs a while back....at 70 mph, a slightly mis-adjusted bimini could be a heck of a wing! Just imagine how much force would be on that if the angle of attack changed!

Tom Smith
06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
We live in New Bern, on the Neuse River. Grew up in NY, moved to Florida for 2 years, then moved here last year. Summers were too long down there, plus the cost of living was way high down there. It's less expensive to live here in NC, and there is more of a seasonal change up here, but still no snow. Tom

Barry Eller
06-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm surprised the Sunbrella holds up at those speeds. You could build a super-strong framework, but the fabric has got to be at the limit of it's ability to hold a stitch.
Where's GeorgeC on this thread? He was all about the Buzzi aero wings on old designs a while back....at 70 mph, a slightly mis-adjusted bimini could be a heck of a wing! Just imagine how much force would be on that if the angle of attack changed!

My framework is super-strong. The Sumbrella fabric is stretched very tight...no flapping at all. It was custom made and the stitching is like on a pair of blue jeans. The rake on the top, lower in the front, lets it fly flat. I do have to put a few twists in the front straps to keep them from flapping. The rears ss braces keep everything rigid.

I have had the top since 2003, no problems, I do keep it covered with the zipper boot when not using it.