PDA

View Full Version : Chattooga

rtgogo
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Anyone gone whitewater rafting down the chattooga?

BUIZILLA
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
yup, several times

been a while though...

The Hedgehog
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone gone whitewater rafting down the chattooga?

No but I have paddled most of the river from where it drops out of Highlands NC (Overflow Creek) to the end of Section IV in my Kayak.

I have not paddled sections 00 and 0 since they are off limits but probably would have poached them by now if I still lived in Ga.

The common commercial rafting runs are sections III and IV. I have run section III maybe 10x and I can't tell you how many times I have run section IV.

There is some good info on Americanwhitewater.org

It is running 1.9 right now. That is low but not too bad. In a kayak I like it anywhere between 1.7(starting to get scrapey) to 3.0 (Huge). I think that the commercial guys cut off at 2.5. Even at the low levels the big rapids are good (Bull Sluice, 7 Foot Falls, Corkscrew, Jawbone and Soc-em-Dog).

It is some of the best commercial whitewater in the SE. What do you want to know?

rtgogo
06-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Plannin a bike ride to the moutains in early August. Wasn't sure if water levels would be doable that time of year. I assume section IV is more exciting than III, but never been rafting so would apprciate your thots. Also wondering about comparisons of Chattooga to Ocoee and Nantahala. I'd like a longer day run so think Chattooga may be best, but again...never been...no clue....Thanks

The Hedgehog
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Plannin a bike ride to the moutains in early August. Wasn't sure if water levels would be doable that time of year. I assume section IV is more exciting than III, but never been rafting so would apprciate your thots. Also wondering about comparisons of Chattooga to Ocoee and Nantahala. I'd like a longer day run so think Chattooga may be best, but again...never been...no clue....Thanks

I actually have done it in a raft. Too many shots to the head while in a Kayak:bonk: The Chattooga is one of the reasons I bought a kayak. I saw the kayakers and had to do it.

August it probably the worst month as it is late summer and the water is lowest. Back before the drought, it would usually hold 1.6 as a low. Low is not all bad. Some of the big drops channelize nicely and actually get bigger. After fresh rain, it sometimes comes up back to 1.8-1.9 in the summer. If they get 2" of rain then look out! I have run section IV down to 1.1. It was worthwhile in a kayak but I dunno if I would do it again. That would not be fun in a raft.

Like I said, Section IV is the big run. It is honest to god class IV. Not like some of the supposed IV's on the middle Ocoee. It is a true wilderness experience. Other than a few trails, you will not see any development from the put in to the take out. It is a full day

The Nanty is an intro run. You don't need a guide. Cold water and lot's of people. Done it many times.

The Ocoee is when it starts to get good. If you can catch the upper and middle in one day, you will have a solid trip. The upper does not run much and has the Olympic section. I was taking some folks down a few weeks ago and we had a nasty flip in Humoungous (sp?). It has a class IV hole. Good fun. The middle runs on weekends and some week days in the summer. The commercial guys will take you down in under 2 hours. Go with the Hedge and I will take you on a 4 hour ride coupled with lots of stupid human tricks. It is a large time.

I already mentioned the Chattooga. I would not run section III unless it is over 1.8 and you want to self guide. Over 2.2 or so go commercial. Section IV is the good stuff.

A notch above Section IV is the Cheoha. I took the raft down twice last year. It has constant class IV action. I think the whole run might have one pool. The big 16 footer is like a train wreck in a raft. I rate that one a class V in the rafting world. The commercial guys cheat it to the right. It does not run much as it is dam controlled but when it does, look out. It is over by the Dragon's Tail.

For the big boys, go to West Va and hit the Gauley or the New. You have to wait for Sept for the G. It is something else. Done it many times too. I am looking for an excuse to take the raft up there. I would only take experienced rafters on that one. It is HUGE.

If you want a great ride on the Ocoee, Chattooga or Cheoha, let me know.

rtgogo
06-10-2009, 11:32 AM
so what's my best bet for some rafting fun the beginning of August. Hate to leave my trip up to mother nature, but sounds like I've picked the wrong adventure for this time of year.

BUIZILLA
06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
It is running 1.9 right now. That is low but not too bad. In a kayak I like it anywhere between 1.7(starting to get scrapey) to 3.0 (Huge). I think that the commercial guys cut off at 2.5. Even at the low levels the big rapids are good (Bull Sluice, 7 Foot Falls, Corkscrew, Jawbone and Soc-em-Dog).
last time I went it was 2.2 at the bridge but rained heavy the night before... guide said no problem, should stay the same,,,,, BIG mistake... came up to 2.8+ and still climbing half way down, and we had a fight for our lives on our hands... had to rescue 2 of our group and relay rope them back across the river to the west side eddy pullout beach... hairy deal... our group went on, and it was hairy, but another group of newbies had to get bussed out... had a great time though

The Hedgehog
06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
last time I went it was 2.2 at the bridge but rained heavy the night before... guide said no problem, should stay the same,,,,, BIG mistake... came up to 2.8+ and still climbing half way down, and we had a fight for our lives on our hands... had to rescue 2 of our group and relay rope them back across the river to the west side eddy pullout beach... hairy deal... our group went on, and it was hairy, but another group of newbies had to get bussed out... had a great time though

I am surprised that they made that mistake. Most of the guides have an idea of how much rain will impact the river. None the less it can surge pretty good especially from some of the side tributaries. That is why they use 2.5 as a max. At 3.0 ALL of the five falls was one big rapid. The good news is the other lines opened up. It would not be a good idea in a raft though. Some got smaller and some got HUGE. Entrance had a terrible looking hole, Corkscrew was a boulevard running into Crack-in-the rock. We ran Crack around the right where we usually scout. Jawbone was unreal and I would not go anywhere the hole in Soc-em Dog. I ran the Puppy Shoot on the right and got backendered big time. We ran five falls in about 2 minutes without scouting. I really don't know where you could have scouted much of it. We regrouped down in Deadman's pool. The group behind us had some swimmers in Jawbone. I pulled one of them out after the Dog. I had to go over and ferry his boat back. He was too freaked out to even thank me. After that we ran Shoulderbone. It is normally a III but was a HUGE class IV that day.

Man I love that run. One of my favs.

The Hedgehog
06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
so what's my best bet for some rafting fun the beginning of August. Hate to leave my trip up to mother nature, but sounds like I've picked the wrong adventure for this time of year.

The Cheoah will be having the last release on June 20. Hmm, may have to do that.

If you want reliable and August, the Ocoee is it. You could always deviate if the Chattooga gets water. The upper is releasing on weekends in August. The upper/lower combo is a nice trip

The Hedgehog
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Chattooga Pics. The first is Corkscrew in a raft, the second is middle crack, the third is a canoe playing in surfing rapid, the forth is a kayaker doing a mystery move at Corkscrew (med high water) and the last is Sock-em-Dog

rtgogo
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice photos...looks fun!when you refer to "upper" and "lower" Chattooga is that the same as sections III and IV ? What's the longest run on the Ocoee I could expect during the weekend the beginning of Aug? Couple of hours?Thanks........

The Hedgehog
06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice photos...looks fun!when you refer to "upper" and "lower" Chattooga is that the same as sections III and IV ? What's the longest run on the Ocoee I could expect during the weekend the beginning of Aug? Couple of hours?Thanks........

Sorry Robert. By Upper and Lower, I am actually referring to the Upper and Middle Ocoee. Boaters often refer to the middle as the lower since there are really only two runs. The actual "lower" Ocoee is not much of a run.

Commercial Rafting time for the two runs on the Ocoee is somewhere around 4 hours. That does not include lunch.

I like to make a day of it. Put on the Upper around 9:30 or so. Eat lunch either on the Olympic section or above the next run. Then follow up by spending 3-4 hours on the Middle. You will have LOTS of action if you do that.

Here are a couple of action shots from the Hedgcam of rafting the Ocoee in my Tributary.

rtgogo
06-10-2009, 09:18 PM
killer pics hedge.......thanks for the advice...think I picked a bad time of the year to go rafting:cool. guess it's back to the board for something to mix in with a summer bike tour in the mountains...