PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs 101?

Planetwarmer
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I use my tabs for leveling and for getting up on plane. I have been experimenting lately, and would love to learn how to use the tabs to their full potential.

There is another thread where someone is asking if tabs are necessary on a 22C.

Does anyone know if there is any other uses for the trim tabs (ie:driving slower, in rough water, etc)?

What do these performance driving schools teach? I would love to take one, but they sure are expensive.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that could use some trim tab 101, such as myself. Maybe even throw in a little drive trim in the mix.

Thanks in advance for any expertise you experts would be willing to offer up to the "tab newbies".

SilverBack
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Todd..(RTSE) ..do you want to go first or would you like for me to?:wink:

Is your boat stock or has the engine been upgraded? My boat has been upgraded in several departments. If I did not have any tabs I would be at least 15- 20 MPH slower!

mrfixxall
06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
if you extend the tabs all the way down it will help you from over steering in no wake zones.

joseph m. hahnl
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I
Does anyone know if there is any other uses for the trim tabs (ie:driving slower, in rough water, etc)?

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

driving faster in the rough stuff:wink:

you can also make course corrections with a little tab:toiletpap:toiletpap:toiletpap

oh see the picture below? The tabs are down and I'm following about 20 other donzi's in a five foot chop and all there wakes:shocking:

Zinger
06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
If I can get 20 MPH faster with installing tabs that would be the cheapest way to gain major performance , I will have to find another place to install them back on my boat. Thanks for the info. Please

da donz
06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I would like to use mine more, but lack of a gauge for the tabs prevents me from doing so.

SilverBack
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
If I can get 20 MPH faster with installing tabs that would be the cheapest way to gain major performance , I will have to find another place to install them back on my boat. Thanks for the info. Please

I have a special case with my boat. It starts porpoising like crazy at around 80 with no tab input. I can settle it down and get it to kick back on the tabs and run up a little over 20 mph faster. I am in the process of changing the tabs. I am looking to get more speed with less tab input.

BigGrizzly
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Zinger, on some huls usinf tabs can incerase speed as much as 3 mph. However the deep V and round bottom is not one of them. But we can talk at Lake George some more.

SilverBack
06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Zinger....this is a picture of my boat with my new tabs mocked up where they were installed and before I took my Bennet tabs off.

SilverBack
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
This is a picture of some tabs mounted on a 22 Classic but this is a very high performance boat. Mounted like this they don't do much for you as far as leveling the boat and the things that stock tabs do well. Mounted this way they are mostly to help stabilize the boat at very high speed.

I have my boat in the shop right now getting the new tabs put on in the same way these are mounted. I will post back when I figure out how they work.

mattyboy
06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
umm other uses for trim tabs

1. the make a great bar and tool bench when working on the drive

2. if you have forgotten to shave your legs for that big date, just try and climb into the boat on one when the are slimey they take off hair better than a schick III

;) :)

glashole
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
lift them all the way up to go fast

put them all the way down to go slow

SilverBack
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
What about moderation??

CHACHI
06-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Things are simpler" in Cananda, aren't they Shea?

Ken

VetteLT193
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM

You'd be surprised how far you can drive with a screwdriver sitting on one of them :bonk:

Planetwarmer
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Sounds like you use them about as well as I do.

glashole
06-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I have run my share of tabs

you have to keep in mind that there are no set rules when it comes to trim tabs because every situation is different and requires a different amout of influence

use the least amount to make the boat run flat and stable

blackhawk
06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
2. if you have forgotten to shave your legs for that big date, just try and climb into the boat on one when the are slimey they take off hair better than a schick III
;) :)

3. The ladies can stand on them and squat in the water to take care of business. The external steering rams make excellent handles. :D

SilverBack
06-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I have run my share of tabs

you have to keep in mind that there are no set rules when it comes to trim tabs because every situation is different and requires a different amout of influence

use the least amount to make the boat run flat and stable

That is true! It is hard to just say do this or that. I know that they come in a lot of different sizes and they react at different speeds. When you start to play with them it seems like it comes to you pretty fast. Seat time is your best friend here. I am a lot better than I used to be but I am still going to go to a Tres Martin School when I get my boat like I want it. They teach you how to drive "your" boat safely. It would be hard to tell someone in a blanket statement how to do it. I think that Grizz said something about showing someone at an event. That may be a good way to learn also. There are a lot of guys here that have forgotten more than I know!!