PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs on a 22 classic ???

Zinger
06-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Has anyone ran a 22 classic without tabs , my external steering falls right in the middle of the tabs. I was wondering if without tabs how the boat handle if it even makes a difference.

Pismo
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I use mine for load leveling/balancing only, never at higher speeds. Those damn dual ram, which are totally unnecessary, tabs make steering system location tough. Zeiger systems are popular because they will fit inside the tab rams. You could mount above them, you would be way off the centerline but lots of people do it with few problems.

Carl C
06-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I would never be without them.

Jamesbon
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I had the same problem while installing a twin ram Latham set-up. I removed the tabs, had the glass guy fill the old holes, then re-mounted the tabs slightly outward from the original position. Yes, it was extra work, but well worth it. You need tabs on these boats....
I also made a 1/2" spacer out of starboard that fit between the ram and hull to give just a bit of clearance for the hydraulic cylinder mount. You can berely see it in the pic below...

MOP
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
If your system is new maybe you can swap for shoter rams that wil fit inside the tabs, no way would I give up my tabs on my 22!

HOWARD O
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
My 22 used to have tabs, someone removed them prior to Cuda's ownership. Odd that they chose to remove them but to be honest, there's been a couple times I'd like it for load leveling when I have passengers, but otherwise it doesn't seem to be a big deal. I might decide to install some in the future if I see a deal I can't pass up. Otherwise, don't miss them. Keep in mind that my boat has a TRS and due to the tranny, the engine sits a little forward than those with newer drives.

EDIT: Keep in mind that sometimes you don't miss what you never had too! My 16' didn't even have trim, except for presetting the 4 holes on the drive itself. My 24' Albemarle, which is actually a Formula 233 hull, had tabs and it helped a lot.....of course it was meagerly powered and was fairly heavy too.

roadtrip se
06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
My 2001 doesn't need tabs for anything other than crosswinds or uneven loads. Never has.

But, I have been in a few boats that would run the nose without them, so it depends on your hull.

I will say that I have taken rides where the driver thought he had to use tabs and after awhile, realized that he really didn't with a little coaching.

I'm just glad my boat doesn't really need them. This point has been be-labored mutiple times here. Sometimes it's neccessary, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it's just habit.

As for the steering install, I have a Latham installation with twin ram Bennetts and I didn't have to move a thing to make it work. Look at your ram options. I have seen it done with several different systems and they all seem to work fine. Mine has been on the boat for seven years.

There you go.

yeller
06-10-2009, 11:08 AM
As others said, it can work. I have twin ram tabs and my steering rams fit without interfering with the tab rams. The standard ones that came with my steering did interfere, but I was able to send them back for shorter ones. It's been posted on this site before that you need 7" rams to work with the the twin-ram tab system. I used an 8" ram, but they were called the "8in short" ram. They do have an 8" stroke, but may be a bit shorter than a normal 8".

BTW: It didn't cost me anything except for shipping one way to get the correct ones

chrisc2
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
As others have said, Good for odd loads and cross chops. Nice Donzi dogs James!Err, Nathan