PDA

View Full Version : Whoops...that was stupid!

Donzi Vol
06-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Ok, so let's hear some good "Oh crap...shouldn't have done that..." and "Wow, that was stupid!" boating stories.

Over the weekend, I heard a good anchor story, and a story that involved diving out of a boat at the wrong time (no serious injuries). Personally, I lost an anchor this weekend because I didn't tie it onto the line. Well, it was tied, but I was too lazy to tie a proper knot.:bonk: So I floated...

mrfixxall
06-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Not a boating story but it has to do with a wave runner,i was out in the ole donzi and a friend of mine showed up with his wave runner.we went out all day doing what we do and it came time for my friend to leave because he had a hot date..another friend of mine backed his wave runner trailer in to the water and my buddy with the wave runner (now all dolled up to go on this date)was going to shoot across the docks to load his wave runner on the trailer fully dressed..well he jumps on his wave runner and started it up and cans the throttle,mean whyle im watching the rope that was tied to the dock unravel then splash!!!!!!!!!!!the wave runner stopped dead in its tracks and john went over the handle bars and into the water. needless to eas john had a wet date!

Johns remarks was ''now that was stupid"

Carl C
06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
I had a blond guest on board a couple years ago. She thought she'd be helpful and throw the anchor in the water for me. I'm like "that works better if I clip it to the boat first". How could she not see that this thing was just coiled up on the floor:bonk:. Landlubbers:lookaroun:. I bought a new anchor and line the next morning.

I left the drain plug out once but haven't most of us done that? That's only stupid if you do it more than once. Or don't keep a spare handy in the boat.

Shut her down near the ramp once to wait for an opening. Moved around a little to get the trucks keys ready and stuff. Then the darn thing wouldn't start, had to paddle to the dock. How embarassing:redface:. I'll always check the lanyard first now if it doesn't start.

Barry Eller
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
A lady I dated before Denise and I got together was helping me put my Tahiti on the trailer. She was holding the lines at the dock while I backed the trailer into the water. To push the boat out to align it with the trailer, she put a foot on the gunwale and kept it there too long. The look on her face as she realized what was about to happen was priceless. It seemed to be in slow motion as she did the splits with one foot on the dock and one foot on the boat...she emerged from the water without much dignity I must say.:yes:

BUIZILLA
06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
we don't have enough bandwidth..

Just Say N20
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
When I lived in Houston, I was selling a 17' Switzer "go fast" with an I6 Merc 150.

I was walking around the boat on the trailer pointing out different things I had updated, and wasn't paying that much attention to the potential buyer. His observation about it being a tilt trailer didn't really register.

It was a bunk trailer, so I undid the bow strap as it wasn't a very steep ramp. I start backing the trailer down the ramp and watch in horror as the trailer tilts, and the boat "launches" itself onto the nice, "ribbed" concrete ramp :nilly::nilly: . He had pulled out the tilt pin, and simply laid it on top of the trailer tongue! :eek:

I have a routine that I follow when launching a boat, that helps me avoid forgetting anything. Usually, just before the engine gets to the waterline, I will stop backing, get out of the car, attach the dock lines, and walk around the boat to make sure the engine is tilted properly, the drain plug is in, the safety chain is unhooked, etc.

Well, reloading the boat on the trailer after a parking lot launch, disrupted my routine to the point that I didn't do the complete walk around. I was VERY embarrassed about the whole parking lot launch, so I just wanted to get the boat in the water and get out of there.

Shortly after pulling away from the dock, and trying to get the boat on plane, I'm noticing an unusual sluggishness in the boat's performance, followed by the sound of water sloshing in the back of the cockpit.

Sure enough, in my haste I hadn't installed the drain plug. I managed to get the boat on plane, and utilizing all the wisdom of my indestructible youth, had him drive while the boat drained. When it was sufficiently empty, I installed the spare plug I kept on the boat by hanging over the edge of the transom, reaching my hand down to the bottom of the hull, in front of the engine :shocking:, while we are going about 25 mph, and installing the plug.

We get back after a 45 minute "let's see if I can blow up your engine" boat ride, get the boat loaded on the trailer, and I asked him about buying the boat. He told me he never intended to buy it. He spent his Saturdays calling people with cool boats for sale, pretending to be interested, just so he could get out on the water. :mad: :mad:

Talk about being angry with myself! I had not qualified the guy, trailered the boat from the west side of Houston to Galveston, just so someone could go for a joy ride. :garfield:

The education gained from that experience was the only positive from the whole thing. :yes:

HOWARD O
06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Not with a Donzi, but while retrieving my 24' Albemarle, I locked my keys in the truck. Yep, almost dark, nobody at the ramps, truck idling almost in the water and two cellphones, both of which were in the truck. Went to jimmy the slider window and that shattered.....but I was in and on my way. Cost me a back window. :bonk: The hell of it was that I have one of those remote starts and I can take the keys OUT of the truck and keep it running. I also broke my own rule of keeping the windows open while launching the boat. Ah well, learned a few lessons that day.

Carl C
06-09-2009, 09:59 AM
[quote=Just Say N20;518258]
It was a bunk trailer, so I undid the bow strap as it wasn't a very steep ramp. I start backing the trailer down the ramp and watch in horror as the trailer tilts, and the boat "launches" itself onto the nice, "ribbed" concrete ramp :nilly::nilly: . He had pulled out the tilt pin, and simply laid it on top of the trailer tongue! :eek:

We get back after a 45 minute "let's see if I can blow up your engine" boat ride, get the boat loaded on the trailer, and I asked him about buying the boat. He told me he never intended to buy it. He spent his Saturdays calling people with cool boats for sale, pretending to be interested, just so he could get out on the water. :mad: :mad:
[/quote)

Oh, I would have been so pissed! He ruins your boat and has the gall to say that? He was probably hoping you'd kick his ass so he could sue you. I think some kind of "lesson" would be called for here. I don't mean chiken $hit vandalism but I'd think of something. You must have had his phone number......

zelatore
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm sure I've had plenty, but nothing comes to mind at the moment so I'll give you one I witnessed.

Several years ago we needed to move half a dozen boats from one office to another. We rounded up a bunch of 'captains' consisting mainly of our sales staff who had experience running similar sized boats. One 'old timer' who had been boating for years and years was put on a new 45 Carver. We were floating him out of a tight area and he wanted to use a spring to turn the boat so we cleated the line off and gave him the thumb's up. He then proceeded to firewall it! :eek:

Our 'old timer' had never driven a boat with electronic single controls and out of habit he treated them like mechanical shifters and just put them all the way down. He realized it quickly and took it out of gear before the turbos spooled up, but not before ripping the cleat out of the dock and putting some new scrapes in the side of the boat.

Similar story...
Moving a boat slowly around the marina. I forget what the model was, but around 50'. Again with electronic controls. We had the boat packed into a tight space, so we hand-walked it out into the fairway with a man on the swim platform to handle lines and the 'captain' at the helm. As soon as the boat was free of the tight area and all the lines were free we gave the all clear to the captain who did just like the guy above and promptly put the levers to the firewall. The guy standing on the swim platform gets tossed off the back and into the water. This 'captain' isn't as smooth as the guy above, so instead of just yanking it back to neutral, he throws the levers all the way into full reverse for a moment before getting it back to neutral. The guy who got tossed in the drink was pretty much just clearing the water from his eyes after the dunking when he turns his head to hear/see the boat now backing down on him at WOT! He's lucky he was already in the water at this point, because I'm pretty sure he wet himself. He proceeded to set the new world speed record for swimming 10 feet to a dock and hoisting himself out.

No injuries, although the 2nd event could have been a disaster. In truth, the boat never moved very far, but with the diesels roaring and the prop wash boiling it seemed like a tsunami was setting in.

For myself, I have done the classic fall in the water. At the office one day a few years ago I was trying to reach the bow cleat on a 31 Albin. It was just a bit to far away, so I leaned against the boat and reached out with the line to the cleat. Sure enough, the boat pushed away from the dock. I had the moment of panic when I realized in slow motion what was happening and I actually had time to think, so I tried to jump for the bow rail but missed and went down. I proceeded to bob to the surface and yank myself out onto the dock in one fast motion. So fast in fact that the next day my chest and upper arms were sore from the strain. Only in the water for a couple seconds, but enough to kill the cell phone.

Cuda
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Not with a Donzi, but while retrieving my 24' Albemarle, I locked my keys in the truck. Yep, almost dark, nobody at the ramps, truck idling almost in the water and two cellphones, both of which were in the truck. Went to jimmy the slider window and that shattered.....but I was in and on my way. Cost me a back window. :bonk: The hell of it was that I have one of those remote starts and I can take the keys OUT of the truck and keep it running. I also broke my own rule of keeping the windows open while launching the boat. Ah well, learned a few lessons that day.

A few years ago, Budman, and his brother, Fishboy, were at the same ramp for Mt Dora. Fish had locked his keys in the truck, and me and Buddy were going to help him get the door opened, but he couldn't wait. He busted off his radio antenna off the truck, to get the door open with. Budman will testify that's the truth! Fish is what I call a "reckless pioneer". :)

Cuda
06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
we don't have enough bandwidth..
Ditto. If you boat long enough, nobody can tell a story that you haven't personally done yourself. :frown::wink:

Carl C
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
How many have taken off with their anchor still in the water? It makes the boat a little sluggish. That's another thing that you only do once!

Just Say N20
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Oh, I would have been so pissed! He ruins your boat and has the gall to say that? He was probably hoping you'd kick his ass so he could sue you. I think some kind of "lesson" would be called for here. I don't mean chiken $hit vandalism but I'd think of something. You must have had his phone number......

Yeah, I was mad. But there were so many things, the damage to the hull gelcoat from the parking lot launch, the water in the boat, beating on the engine, me trusting him from the beginning, etc. that I didn't know where to start. I fumed for days over it. Obviously, I must not have "let it go" yet. :frown:

BlownCrewCab
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
How many have taken off with their anchor still in the water? It makes the boat a little sluggish. That's another thing that you only do once!

Funny you should ask, we where skiing off beercan island in Miami,We where sitting there anchord, I threw the ski rope out, put on my life vest and grabbed my ski and jumped in the water. The driver fired up the boat (a 16 whaler with a 90hp merc) once up on plane I kept seeing something surface about 10' in front of me while I'm on the ski, about every 10-15 seconds something would break the surface and go back down, It was freaking me out, then I finally got a good look at what it was- the friggin anchor:bonk:

Ghost
06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Funny you should ask, we where skiing off beercan island in Miami,We where sitting there anchord, I threw the ski rope out, put on my life vest and grabbed my ski and jumped in the water. The driver fired up the boat (a 16 whaler with a 90hp merc) once up on plane I kept seeing something surface about 10' in front of me while I'm on the ski, about every 10-15 seconds something would break the surface and go back down, It was freaking me out, then I finally got a good look at what it was- the friggin anchor:bonk:

OOPS.

Was it attached to one of the eyes on the stern? How does the rode not end up in the prop otherwise?

Conquistador_del_mar
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Along the lines of free joyriders, I had a similar situation selling my 1963 Century Coronado. A middle aged guy and his girlfriend showed up for a "lake test". My clue that he might have only shown for a free boat ride was when he pulled out his KFC chicken bucket with all the trimmings. I let him drive and we stayed out for well over an hour until I knew the gig. When I asked about his buying the boat, he said they were headed for Vegas and he would let me know - :nilly:
I have had a few brain dead moments boating. I once took a date out who announced that she was scared of the water. After reassuring her that I was an extremely experienced boater, she asked why there was water around her feet as we almost had idled out of the marina. Sure enough, I had forgotten the plug. I calmly jumped overboard and inserted the plug after turning on the bilge pump - all the while pretending that it was no big deal to keep her calm - lol.
On another occasion, I lifted my engine cover which dislodged a fishing pole into the lake. I jumped over the transom and got the rod, but I broke a couple ribs on one of the cleats - ouch for a couple months! Bill

BlownCrewCab
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
OOPS.

Was it attached to one of the eyes on the stern? How does the rode not end up in the prop otherwise?

It was attached to the front, which is ironic that it didn't get caught in the prop, the whaler has a funny shaped Kinda tri hull, the rope must have stayed in one of the higher humps to either side of the prop. If that whaler could talk Brownie would drive up here and whip me even today, FUN Times where had in that thing.

Ghost
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
It was attached to the front, which is ironic that it didn't get caught in the prop, the whaler has a funny shaped Kinda tri hull, the rope must have stayed in one of the higher humps to either side of the prop. If that whaler could talk Brownie would drive up here and whip me even today, FUN Times where had in that thing.

LOL. I never thought about the hull shape thing pushing it over a little and keeping it there, but it makes sense now that you say it. (I grew up with the essentially the same boat, a 17 with a Johnson 100.)

Mike

HOWARD O
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I once took a date out who announced that she was scared of the water. After reassuring her that I was an extremely experienced boater, she asked why there was water around her feet as we almost had idled out of the marina. Sure enough, I had forgotten the plug. I calmly jumped overboard and inserted the plug after turning on the bilge pump - all the while pretending that it was no big deal to keep her calm - lol.

That's a GREAT story! How many dates afterward? :boggled:

Donziweasel
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Two of em. Once I was beached at Jackson Lake as far from the boat ramp as possible. Got ready to leave and the drive wouldn't go down from highest trim. Messed with it, but wouldn't go down. Idled for two hours back only to find a wing nut had been loose.

Second was funnier. Water skiing behind my buddies fathers boat in Charleston SC. New boat with a 150 hp Merc on it. Going along and all the sudden the whole engine flew up out of the water accompanied by a huge "thud". As I slowly stopped on the skis, I didn't sink. I was standing in about 6 inches of water. Buddy had basically driven onto a 6 inch deep flat and trashed the motor, prop, and transom.

Brian41
06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I bought a new boat and already had 2

Conquistador_del_mar
06-09-2009, 06:30 PM
That's a GREAT story! How many dates afterward? :boggled:

On my next date with the same woman, I took her up flying around the lake in a chartered single engine plane. She again announced how scared she was of flying. After reassuring her that nothing ever goes wrong, the pilot had a difficult time starting the engine. I asked if there was a problem, and he actually said "this plane has been having some carburetor problems recently". I then insisted on getting out another plane which he did. She never did know how that different that trip might have ended - lol. I ran into her a few years ago, and she wishes she had stayed with me instead of a firefighter she went with - all I know is that I found the right one eventually - I don't know about her. Bill

Ghost
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Two of em. Once I was beached at Jackson Lake as far from the boat ramp as possible. Got ready to leave and the drive wouldn't go down from highest trim. Messed with it, but wouldn't go down. Idled for two hours back only to find a wing nut had been loose.

Second was funnier. Water skiing behind my buddies fathers boat in Charleston SC. New boat with a 150 hp Merc on it. Going along and all the sudden the whole engine flew up out of the water accompanied by a huge "thud". As I slowly stopped on the skis, I didn't sink. I was standing in about 6 inches of water. Buddy had basically driven onto a 6 inch deep flat and trashed the motor, prop, and transom.

Happened to me the same way, skiing behind our old Whaler when I was a teenager. We were lucky and the muddy bottom didn't tear up the outboard. It's a WEIRD feeling when you start sinking into the water on your ski, and then you stop when it gets up to your ankles.

Donzi Vol
06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Man, these are some good stories. Glad I thought to start this thread!

A couple weeks ago we took the little 16 o/b out on the river for the day. There are some pictures running around here somewhere of that little adventure. For those who didn't read it, we were having engine trouble with it, so rather than tow it around all day, Tim (RedDog) suggested we tie it off, go play around in his 22, and come back and get it. That sounded great until we came back and the dang thing was gone! Luckily the nice Sherrif gave it back to us with a simple lesson of "you can't tie up to a navigational bouy."

Now on the same day, I decided it would be a good idea to bring a good lookin' girl along...and I still believe it was. However, I didn't realize at the time that this girl is crazy...bless her heart. As I was filling up the cooler with beverages for the day, she gave me a 12 pack of corona. When I told her that they wouldn't all fit, she said, "you need to find a way to get those in there" (and was VERY serious). So I took out the bottles of water. No need to be hydrated or anything! Later, when I was having a hell of a time with the motor, her comment was, "well whatever you're doing isn't working, so try something else." She almost had to swim back to shore!

Just Say N20
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I bought a new boat and already had 2

Classic! :shades:

jstrahn
04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Great thread. Glad I stumbled onto this! :)

I have so many bone headed moments from boating I don't even know where to start. Most of mine have been in my fishing boat.

I can't tell you how many times I've started the motor while it was fully trimmed up in the air. Everyone on the lake hears it when you crank that baby and you know every single one of them is saying "idiot you have to put it in the water first" :)

Last year I was up on plane heading across the lake for a new fishing spot and a boat comes up along side me arms waving frantically. I shut her down and the guy says "Uh, you're trolling motor is still down" *facepalm*

I'm thinking I need to have a checklist for on the water activities like I do for the boat ramp. I'm so absent minded, I have to do things an exact sequence at the ramp so nothing gets missed.

BlakeSullivan
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
A year or so ago I bought new battery boxes for my 16 and spent hours trying to figure out where to mount them, after much thought I found the perfect place , I mounted them sealed the holes and took the boat out the following day but for the life of me could not get it off the trailer, needless to say I ran 8 screws clear through the boat into the trailer and made the first amphibious Donzi, so a few hundred later I had the holes filled and used shorter screws. Lesson learned :bonk:

Carl C
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
A year or so ago I bought new battery boxes for my 16 and spent hours trying to figure out where to mount them, after much thought I found the perfect place , I mounted them sealed the holes and took the boat out the following day but for the life of me could not get it off the trailer, needless to say I ran 8 screws clear through the boat into the trailer and made the first amphibious Donzi, so a few hundred later I had the holes filled and used shorter screws. Lesson learned :bonk:

That's a story I think I'd save just for myself...:lookaroun::nilly::yes::lightning

zelatore
04-26-2011, 02:49 PM

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Best laugh I've had all day! :lol9:

Buddyc
04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Now thats funny... Someone get that man a prize. Best laugh I had in a while

cutwater
04-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Holy moly, that's hilarious... You definitely take the prize! :wink:

The Hedgehog
04-26-2011, 07:20 PM

That is priceless. Way to man up and admit that one.

gcarter
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I didn't screw the Minx hull to the trailer, but I did meet up w/a bunch of the guys on the Suwanee River about five years ago.
I attempted to launch the boat w/o removing the rear straps.
Those were a bunch of really nice guys, no one even sniggered.

gcarter
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Another time almost four years ago, I bought a '88 Donzi 22C Testa Rossa and decided to restore it.................:wink:

BlakeSullivan
04-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Well I guess you live you learn I know it will never happen again so I feel that it was part of the boat learning curve the only direction from that one is up. Ha:boat:

silverghost
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Well I guess you live you learn I know it will never happen again so I feel that it was part of the boat learning curve the only direction from that one is up. Ha:boat:

If anyone asks ~
Just tell them you wanted to drill some holes to let the rainwater drain out .

We have ALL done dumb things on boats .