PDA

View Full Version : Alpha one Gen one transom assy question

brett h
06-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, I got the loose steering issue with the tiller arm and gimble pin and it's not salvagable- too old and corroded. I just got a used alpha one gen one
transom assy including the gimble ring and housing that has good and tight steering. My question is can I just de-install the transom assy and leave the transom plate in the boat and re-install new transom assy without pulling the motor? Is there something I'm missing. A local mechanic said that the motor needs to be pulled. Appreciate any response.

gcarter
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
You could do it, by removing the rear mount bolts and hanging the rear of the engine.....after you remove the drive.
But you'd have to have really skinny arms to get in there to remove all the bolts and nuts.
Depending on what the boat is, maybe you could go a step further and unbolt all the mounts, raise and rotate the engine 90*. That might allow you to remove all the fasteners.
I think most would remove the engine.

MOP
06-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Pull it you will not regret it! It will also allow you to clean and paint the bilge and save a ton :cussball::cussball:

mrfixxall
06-08-2009, 09:03 PM
if it has a ypipe you need to pull the engine!