PDA

View Full Version : sealant for my trim hose?

HOWARD O
06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
My port down-trim hose on the drive end (TRS) is leaking right at the fitting around the threads. I crank down on it and it's good for a day or two, then leaks again. Small drip, but enough to make a mini-slick in the water. Can I use some kind of sealant and what is recommended. I thought about using teflon tape since I have it on hand, but it's so small I'm figuring something in liquid form? I'm afraid of really torqeing down on the thing.

It's brother ruptured and I replaced that one a couple months back. I did that one on the lift, standing from another boat with a big bucket. Won't be doing THAT again! I didn't spill a drop, but if someone official happened by in their boat, I don't think I could've explained my way out of that one. I was already worried about the half dozen kayakers eyeing me from across my creek!

Last Real Texan
06-06-2009, 09:32 PM
My port down-trim hose on the drive end (TRS) is leaking right at the fitting around the threads. I crank down on it and it's good for a day or two, then leaks again. Small drip, but enough to make a mini-slick in the water. Can I use some kind of sealant and what is recommended. I thought about using teflon tape since I have it on hand, but it's so small I'm figuring something in liquid form? I'm afraid of really torqeing down on the thing.

It's brother ruptured and I replaced that one a couple months back. I did that one on the lift, standing from another boat with a big bucket. Won't be doing THAT again! I didn't spill a drop, but if someone official happened by in their boat, I don't think I could've explained my way out of that one. I was already worried about the half dozen kayakers eyeing me from across my creek!
Teflon Pipe Dope? they say it's a plumbers best friend...

Tex

BlownCrewCab
06-06-2009, 09:57 PM
It's a flair (flare ?) Fitting, the tapered parts of the flair are what seals it, not the threads like a NPT fitting where pipe dope seals it. if you keep getting leaks you probably have a cracked fitting or manifold.

MOP
06-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Keep cranking down and the threads in the cylinder will let go!!! The line fitting as you know is S/S the seat in the ram is aluminum. remove the line and clean the seat, then do the same to the lines flair fitting. I doubt that the flair has split as it is a double flair (very) tough, if every thing appears to be decent clean the mating surfaces with acetone. Then as suggested above use a Q tip and apply Teflon pipe dope to the seat and also to the flair. It must be absolutely clean and dry before application, believe me I know it is some hard due to the trim fluid. It is real nice to have a compressor handy to keep blowing the fluid out of the seat until you can not get anymore to come out! Assemble/tighten it and leave it to cure at the very least over night, better then average chance that will hold until you have to service it down the road!

HOWARD O
06-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Here's a case of "I'm glad I asked"!!! Thanks for the help, I'll give your procedure a whirl Phil....got the compressor on hand too. I think I'll do this ON the trailer too. :yes:

mattyboy
06-07-2009, 06:55 AM
I didn't think telflon tape would hold up to hydraulic fluid????

BUIZILLA
06-07-2009, 07:39 AM
don't forget to support the drive before removing any of the lines...

MOP
06-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I didn't think telflon tape would hold up to hydraulic fluid????

Matty Teflon does very well with petro products, in this app the tape is useless.

don't forget to support the drive before removing any of the lines...

Full down is best, the piston in the ram will have the least amount of oil in it between it and the port.

BigGrizzly
06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I did run into this problem and the flare on the hose looked good, but was not. New hose fixed it. If it is the old stanless hose it sometimes cracks in the missle and seeps down to the fitting and looks like the fitting.

HOWARD O
06-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I did run into this problem and the flare on the hose looked good, but was not. New hose fixed it. If it is the old stanless hose it sometimes cracks in the missle and seeps down to the fitting and looks like the fitting.

Yeah, I thought it was the hose at first. Especially since I had just replaced the other on the same ram. But no, it's at the fitting for sure. Hasn't leaked the last few runs, I'll tackle it when I spot it again. If that doesn't work, new hose. They're pricey little suckers, but at least we can find them!

Thanks everybody!