PDA

View Full Version : letter to the boss

zelatore
06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
I just got a call from a tech at my delta office. We have a 36' Carver Mariner that needs to come out of the water for some minor work. Seems the boss came up with a grand plan of trying to pull it out on an old Sea Ray 34 Sundancer trailer we have laying around.

Knowing that A-this is a bad idea, and B-nobody on earth can convince him that one of HIS ideas is bad, I sent him this note. By suggesting that it wasn't his idea in the first place, I'm hoping to give him an 'out'. Yes, I did warn 'Bob' that I was going to use him as a scapegoat here. The names have been changed to protect the guilty.

I just had to share......

John,

Bob just called me and said he was thinking of trying to put the 36 Mariner on the old Sea Ray 34 trailer we have. He broke up before I could explain why that was a bad idea, but I wanted to let you know what he was thinking so maybe you can head it off at the pass before something really bad happens.

First, the Sea Ray was a stern drive boat and the Mariner is an inboard. That’s asking to damage props, shafts, and/or rudders. And the bunks won’t be positioned correctly for the shape of the hull.

Even if he could somehow position the boat far enough back that the entire aft end was hanging off the trailer to keep the running gear away from the bunks, you would then have nothing providing structure. The transom provides the strength in that area, to leave it and the weight of the engines hanging unsupported would be asking for cracks to develop.

Next, what the heck does he think he’s going to pull it up the ramp with? The company truck and van are not even close to that. My truck is rated at 8500 lbs. Not sure what year your Escalade is, but an ’07 2wd is rated at 8000 and the AWD is rated at 7600. A Mariner is listed at 19,500 lbs + maybe 2500 for the trailer – that’s 22,000 lbs. While either my truck or your caddy would possibly pull it up the ramp, do you really want to risk a transmission?? What happens if a something in the driveline (transmission, differential, drive shaft, U-joint, etc) fails? Now the whole rig goes rolling backward down the ramp.

Plus, with the boat hanging half-off the trailer it’s going to mean there’s no tongue weight, so no traction.

No, this is just asking for trouble all the way around. Like you said earlier about the props – better to spend the $800 and just get new ones. In this case, better to spend the $8 or $10/ft for a haul out than gamble on trashing the boat and/or truck.

Donzi Vol
06-05-2009, 10:28 PM
That's interesting. Sadly this is the kind of letter that I would probably be on the receiving end of. I usually try to stretch my luck right until I realize that it's just not going to happen.:lookaroun:

zelatore
06-05-2009, 10:52 PM
See, there's the funny part. I'd actually love to see if I could do it. Could I get the boat to sit on the trailer? Could the Mighty Dodge (cue Al Bundy) pull that thing up the ramp? I'd love to try it just as an experiment.

But since it's a sold boat - and we ain't exactly selling them hand over fist these days - it seems like a less than great gamble. Why take the chance over a few hundred dollars?

Besides, when you factor in the extra labor we'll expend trying to make the whole deal work, then the added difficulty of making the repair with the boat on a trailer vs hanging in straps (better access), we'll probably eat up the cost of the haul out anyway.

I really just don't know what the man is thinking some days.:confused:

The Hedgehog
06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
See, there's the funny part. I'd actually love to see if I could do it. Could I get the boat to sit on the trailer? Could the Mighty Dodge (cue Al Bundy) pull that thing up the ramp? I'd love to try it just as an experiment.
But since it's a sold boat - and we ain't exactly selling them hand over fist these days - it seems like a less than great gamble. Why take the chance over a few hundred dollars?
Besides, when you factor in the extra labor we'll expend trying to make the whole deal work, then the added difficulty of making the repair with the boat on a trailer vs hanging in straps (better access), we'll probably eat up the cost of the haul out anyway.
I really just don't know what the man is thinking some days.:confused:

That's a funny one.

I definitely agree about the haul out. Sounds like a nutty idea.

roadtrip se
06-06-2009, 08:05 AM
We see these kind of experiments around these parts on a smaler scale all the time. You would be surprised what folks think a tow rig can do and what they get away with on a regular basis. The versatile Suzuki Samuri is one example of a tow vehicle that never ceases to amaze me... I always look for a clear hill ahead of me when towing anything out.

Then, there is the other extreme, the houseboat pullers. These guys know what they are doing...

zelatore
06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, and I didn't even mention the idea of re-launching the thing. Let's see, we've got +/- 5000 lbs of truck with the rear wheels unweighted by an unbalanced trailer trying to control the decent of 22,000 lbs of trailer. Nope, sounds fine to me!

SilverBack
06-06-2009, 01:39 PM
When I bought my Ragazza it was in St. Petersburg, FL and the guy could not pay the fee to keep it at the marina any longer so he bought a bass boat trailer and cut the winch off of it and had them set the boat on the trailer because he only lived a block from the marina. The axle busted in half when he was pulling up to his front yard. He had to sell the boat because he didn't have any more money to spend. I had to have a trailer built and have the boat jacked off of the bass boat trailer and put on the new one.

I don't know what people think sometimes!

Ghost
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Looks like you did a good a tactful job.

I DO wonder about towing capacity ratings versus what you could get away with pulling just up a ramp and going a short distance at near idle speed. Tow ratings I would think have to take into account safe handling on the highway, etc. So, I would definitely think you could exceed your tow rating just for a haul out. But that said, doubling your max tow rating, or more, seems like too much to me.

zelatore
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I may have gotten carried away a bit. It was Friday, right at 5:00, and we'd had a rough week in terms of taking some financial hits already due to foolish mistakes. I just couldn't believe he'd actually think this was a good idea given the risk/reward, but then again I know he just digs in any time I've suggested an alternative plan to one he came up with.

Michele was quite proud of me for the idea though. I'm not normally much of a 'manipulator'. :wink:

BigGrizzly
06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Bravo, and I am not talking about the prop.

penbroke
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
...how did it all work out?

Frank
Pulled too much with not enough way too many times... :angel:

zelatore
06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
The plan worked. When I got to the office this morning I had a message from him thanking me for my input and that I should contact my delta guy and change him to a regular haul-out.

Now if only I could 'handle' him more often instead of just saying what I think. :bonk:

Ghost
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
The plan worked. When I got to the office this morning I had a message from him thanking me for my input and that I should contact my delta guy and change him to a regular haul-out.

Now if only I could 'handle' him more often instead of just saying what I think. :bonk:

Sounds like the door is wide open, and it's all up to you. (For the most part, training a dog is really about training the people who own the dog...and hoping the dog doesn't start reading pages on the Donzi Registry...) :)

zelatore
06-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds like the door is wide open, and it's all up to you. (For the most part, training a dog is really about training the people who own the dog...and hoping the dog doesn't start reading pages on the Donzi Registry...) :)

Despite the fact that he's seen my Donzi several times, I regularly wear shirts with Donzi logos, and I talk about and order parts to the office for my Donzi, I doubt very much if he could tell you what sort of boat I have. As for reading....well that was never his strong point. I learned long ago that if I wanted to get 'my way' with something, all I had to do was provide him with lots of data. He'll pretend to look at it, and then tell me to do what I think is best. :wink: