PDA

View Full Version : A single engine ZXO??? well I'll be...

Last Real Texan
06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I was not aware of this....hey Donziweasel...here you go...could be bought cheeper.....http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Donzi-28-DONZI-ZXO-BOW-RIDER-94996179

Tex

VetteLT193
06-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I was not aware of this....hey Donziweasel...here you go...could be bought cheeper.....http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Donzi-28-DONZI-ZXO-BOW-RIDER-94996179
Tex
yeah... it's an oddball boat. could have been bought with a single 496, 500, or twin 5.0's all the way up to the twin 377 scorps... I think the earliest base model boats had a single 454 MPI.
I saw that one, but I want twins. I'd rather twin 5.0's than a single 496, but that is just me... not knocking the boat at all.

The Hedgehog
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah... it's an oddball boat. could have been bought with a single 496, 500, or twin 5.0's all the way up to the twin 377 scorps... I think the earliest base model boats had a single 454 MPI.
I saw that one, but I want twins. I'd rather twin 5.0's than a single 496, but that is just me... not knocking the boat at all.

I would not want a 496 either but a 502 BB....well that can be made into something!

gcarter
06-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I thought I remembered seeing the single as an option.
I've never seen one though.
It would be fun.

28 ZXO's are such great boats.

Pismo
06-05-2009, 06:20 AM
It would be pretty underpowered, working hard all the time. A 525 or higher would be great. It's probably a heavy boat.

MOP
06-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Thinking about this boat it is in Oklahoma, may be on a lake with speed restrictions so why have bigger non usable power. The other thought is he is one of the folks out there that could care less about speed, but wanted a really cool looking boat. Wonder though if it would hit 40!

VetteLT193
06-05-2009, 08:11 AM
They run mid 60's with the twin 260 HP engines. Single 496 is lighter and less drag with one drive.

I'd think it would run at least in the high 50's.

Last Real Texan
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I think its a nice family boat and not too bad on fuel....I would imagine that it spends most of its life at or above 4000 RPM's..

anyone know what the weight difference is between a closed bow and open bow on this model? with no people up there I would thnk it may be close in weight.

Tex

Donziweasel
06-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Neat boat, but the price is not any better than twins. I think I would rather have twins w/ the option of supercharging.....

Now Tex, you keep saying Bill is trying to ruin your bank account with dreams of cruisers and such. I see you are taking your frustrations out on me by trying to ruin my bank account with ZXO's.......:bonk::)

roadtrip se
06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I could out-run it in the Formula in stock form...

As for destroying bank accounts, we are all victims of that around here.
Attend a rally, see cool things, drain checking account afterwards, repeat.
It's a vicious cycle, and the end result is a boat worth about 10% of what
you have in it.

We're just here to help....

Last Real Texan
06-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Feeding the addiction...

Tex

SilverBack
06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I could out-run it in the Formula in stock form...

As for destroying bank accounts, we are all victims of that around here.
Attend a rally, see cool things, drain checking account afterwards, repeat.
It's a vicious cycle, and the end result is a boat worth about 10% of what
you have in it.

Truer words have never been spoken!!:wink:

VetteLT193
06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
If you had the choice between 2 ZXO's:

2001 scorpion @ 250 hours and a nicer paint scheme
2003 350 MPI's @ 50 hours with a blah paint scheme. Hydro steering, missing mechanical indicators and a few other odd ball options

With the savings on the 2003 I could procharge the 350's and be at the same price as the 2001 scorp boat.

So, go procharged 350 blah looking boat with 50 hours or go with a stock scorp boat with more hours and a few more goodies?

Pismo
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
A single with a big engine like a 600 or 700hp would be perfect.

Last Real Texan
06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
If you had the choice between 2 ZXO's:

2001 scorpion @ 250 hours and a nicer paint scheme
2003 350 MPI's @ 50 hours with a blah paint scheme. Hydro steering, missing mechanical indicators and a few other odd ball options

With the savings on the 2003 I could procharge the 350's and be at the same price as the 2001 scorp boat.

So, go procharged 350 blah looking boat with 50 hours or go with a stock scorp boat with more hours and a few more goodies?

If you want a runner with stock power say 80-81mph or

Procharge the 350's...do it right and end up with a 90 plus mph ride....

Hmm I know what I would do, and flashy paint does nothing for me.

The hard thing for me here is a Scorpion boat has a pair of 377 hp motors, a 350 boat has most likely 320 hp motors...a difference of 114 hp...that should equate to roughly 5 mph difference...but why do people with scorps run low 80's and the 350/320hp boats only run a touch over 70....Hmmmm is there any other difference? the scorps also run XR for a little power loss over the regular Bravo I's am I missing something here?

Can someone well versed with the two enlighten me?

Tex

mattyboy
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with Pismo a nice big single and you have a nice day/ lake/ bay boat,

I looked at a 28zxo in lake george a few years back and this year at s sunsation MC 288 they call it a mid cabin same thing bow rider up front small cabin and performance boat cockpit in the back i liked both but I got to tell ya I hate having people in front of me especially in a boat that can cruise well over 40 and can possibly top out in the 70's I mean on the toon it seems all I am saying is

sitdonnashutupstastilwoodya

so I have to overcome my peopleinfrontofmeitis before I could get one , the wife on the other hand loved the sunsation,

both seem they would be a great boat to spend the day on with the family

VetteLT193
06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
If you want a runner with stock power say 80-81mph or

Procharge the 350's...do it right and end up with a 90 plus mph ride....

Hmm I know what I would do, and flashy paint does nothing for me.

The hard thing for me here is a Scorpion boat has a pair of 377 hp motors, a 350 boat has most likely 320 hp motors...a difference of 114 hp...that should equate to roughly 5 mph difference...but why do people with scorps run low 80's and the 350/320hp boats only run a touch over 70....Hmmmm is there any other difference? the scorps also run XR for a little power loss over the regular Bravo I's am I missing something here?

Can someone well versed with the two enlighten me?

Tex

I understand the scorps are rated 350 HP at the prop, where the other engines are at the crank. The 350 Mag MPI back then had 300 hp (I think) so, that is roughly 160HP difference.

Scorps had an XZ option, standard was Bravo. both boats I'm looking at have Bravo.

VetteLT193
06-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I agree with Pismo a nice big single and you have a nice day/ lake/ bay boat,
I looked at a 28zxo in lake george a few years back and this year at s sunsation MC 288 they call it a mid cabin same thing bow rider up front small cabin and performance boat cockpit in the back i liked both but I got to tell ya I hate having people in front of me especially in a boat that can cruise well over 40 and can possibly top out in the 70's I mean on the toon it seems all I am saying is
sitdonnashutupstastilwoodya
so I have to overcome my peopleinfrontofmeitis before I could get one , the wife on the other hand loved the sunsation,
both seem they would be a great boat to spend the day on with the family

The sunsation, IMO, is actually laid out better than the ZXO. But they are all single engine and for some reason more money.

I like twins be it a lake, ocean, or anything in the middle.

As for people up front, I'm probably the most conservative driver you'll meet with people / family on board. I'll drag tabs and run slow if people are sitting up front, or have them move to the regular cockpit area to do a normal or fast cruise.

Donziweasel
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Procharging a Scorp will be more of a challenge than a 350 mag. Whipple and procharger make untis for just the 350. Whipple made a Scorp kit, but not anymore. Another drawback with the Scorp is the high octane requirement.

For ease, parts, accessories and blower, the 350 mag or even the 6.2L will give you less headaches in the long run.......Scorp is still a bad ass SB though.....

VetteLT193
06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I won't boost the scorps, they would remain stock.

mattyboy
06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
The sunsation, IMO, is actually laid out better than the ZXO. But they are all single engine and for some reason more money.
I like twins be it a lake, ocean, or anything in the middle.
As for people up front, I'm probably the most conservative driver you'll meet with people / family on board. I'll drag tabs and run slow if people are sitting up front, or have them move to the regular cockpit area to do a normal or fast cruise.

yes if I were down by you and needed to venture out on the bay or ocean yes twins it would be, I guess I was thinking more of having a boat load with people in the front and back. my wife laughed at me when we got into the sunsation she said you knucklehead this is the boat that we needed when the kids were home now it is just us 2 and you want a 28 foot bow rider??
she also like the idea of the speedo up front so she could keep and eye on me ;) i did think the zxo was a bit wider and looked deeper up front
but now that we are empty nesters we are looking 22 ish to 26 ish with a small cuddy I would go with the low hour plain jane boat I mean if you are just buzzing around with the family and kids most of the time the 350's should get you anywhere you want to go fast enough then if you decide to charge it it will be a wolf in sheep clothes ;)

The Hedgehog
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
yes if I were down by you and needed to venture out on the bay or ocean yes twins it would be, I guess I was thinking more of having a boat load with people in the front and back. my wife laughed at me when we got into the sunsation she said you knucklehead this is the boat that we needed when the kids were home now it is just us 2 and you want a 28 foot bow rider??
she also like the idea of the speedo up front so she could keep and eye on me ;) i did think the zxo was a bit wider and looked deeper up front
but now that we are empty nesters we are looking 22 ish to 26 ish with a small cuddy I would go with the low hour plain jane boat I mean if you are just buzzing around with the family and kids most of the time the 350's should get you anywhere you want to go fast enough then if you decide to charge it it will be a wolf in sheep clothes ;)

Your wife is a smart lady.:yes:

mattyboy
06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Your wife is a smart lady.:yes:

not if you ask her she'll say not too smart I married him WTF was i thinkin ;)

da donz
06-05-2009, 10:33 PM
If someone is looking for a ZXO, I know a guy that has a 05' 28ZXO with twin 350's that is hard pressed to get rid of it cheep, due to financial hard ship.
let me know if anybody needs more info on this.

Donziweasel
06-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Ebbtide makes one as well. I actually like the Ebbtide layout the best, more room in the rear with the wrap around seating.

http://www.ebbtideboats.com/ShowBoat.asp?sBoat=2600

BUIZILLA
06-06-2009, 06:58 AM
there are a LOT of EbbTide owners around Center Hill... never heard one single bad word about them.... the local dealer is a neighbor of mine... click on *message from the president* in the link above..

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-06-2009, 07:38 AM
60MPH... that is all we all really need! Great deal if they drop the price 10K.
Bryan

Donziweasel
06-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Jim, knew a few Ebbtide guys in Charleston. They all loved thier boats and never had a bad thing to say about them........:)

VetteLT193
06-06-2009, 09:47 AM
If someone is looking for a ZXO, I know a guy that has a 05' 28ZXO with twin 350's that is hard pressed to get rid of it cheep, due to financial hard ship.
let me know if anybody needs more info on this.

I PM'ed you.

The Hedgehog
06-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Jim, knew a few Ebbtide guys in Charleston. They all loved thier boats and never had a bad thing to say about them........:)

I see the appeal but don't let me come up there and catch your shop Donzi-less.

da donz
06-06-2009, 08:38 PM
gave the guy a call and left a message with your info, also p.m'ed you his info.
hope it works out. it's a nice ZXO

VetteLT193
06-07-2009, 09:06 AM
gave the guy a call and left a message with your info, also p.m'ed you his info.
hope it works out. it's a nice ZXO

Thanks, I'll call him later today

FISHIN SUCKS
06-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I LOVE THE WAY THIS BOAT DRIVES/HANDLES/RIDES in anything you throw at it. I realize it is not a ZXO, but the rest remains constant with the twin 350 mags. I don't think I would be nearly as happy with a single big block, I could be wrong. But after coming out of a 24' with a single rat motor to a 28' with twin mouse motors, night and day. My kids wished I would have been high bidder on a ZXO, but I like havin' the stabin cabin and the looks of the ZX better. To each there own, good luck in your endeavours:),
tom

The Hedgehog
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I LOVE THE WAY THIS BOAT DRIVES/HANDLES/RIDES in anything you throw at it. I realize it is not a ZXO, but the rest remains constant with the twin 350 mags. I don't think I would be nearly as happy with a single big block, I could be wrong. But after coming out of a 24' with a single rat motor to a 28' with twin mouse motors, night and day. My kids wished I would have been high bidder on a ZXO, but I like havin' the stabin cabin and the looks of the ZX better. To each there own, good luck in your endeavours:),
tom

+1 for the Cabin. Now a Cabin and a fairing....now we are talking!

VetteLT193
06-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I like the looks of the regular ZX too, but the ZXO is what fits my personal use.

I'm only 3k off now on one of them, thanks to my Bro... maybe later tonight. I checked insurance today, life is good. waiting game

The 2005 is way high $$$$. I can buy a 2003 with less hours for 25k less with the same options and it's cleaner. Nice guy though, hope everything works out for him.

rtgogo
06-08-2009, 07:41 PM
$25k difference in 2 year models seems like a huge spread. Is the 05 optioned with a lot more goodies or power than the 03?

VetteLT193
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM
$25k difference in 2 year models seems like a huge spread. Is the 05 optioned with a lot more goodies or power than the 03?

Nearly identical. both have 350 mag MPI and hydro steering. the 2003 only has 50-ish hours. the 2005 has 200-ish hours. The hours, to me, makes up for the years and I'll call 'em even.

The 2005 has a better look... the 03 is pretty blah paint scheme wise. The 03 is cleaner based on pictures alone.

The 03 is a good deal, but if the scorp boat comes down a bit it's a done deal.

FISHIN SUCKS
06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I like the looks of the regular ZX too, but the ZXO is what fits my personal use.

I totally understand where you are coming from my friend. You do what you gotta do.

I have heard the argument (if you will) that when it comes time to refreshen the motors, it will be much cheaper to do the 350 mags than the scorps. Don't know how true that is , but may be worth considering in your decision.

Blah paint graphics can always be altered, just hire an exterior decorator and get a bucket of paint:kingme:

I am excited for your purchase venture here, 'cause I know how much you are going to enjoy either one of these boats. Let me know if I can answer anything for you........I may not know it all, but I know like 1 or 2 things, max!

VetteLT193
06-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I totally understand where you are coming from my friend. You do what you gotta do.
I have heard the argument (if you will) that when it comes time to refreshen the motors, it will be much cheaper to do the 350 mags than the scorps. Don't know how true that is , but may be worth considering in your decision.
Blah paint graphics can always be altered, just hire an exterior decorator and get a bucket of paint:kingme:
I am excited for your purchase venture here, 'cause I know how much you are going to enjoy either one of these boats. Let me know if I can answer anything for you........I may not know it all, but I know like 1 or 2 things, max!

I also can wrap whatever I buy for whatever it costs for ink and material (kind of nice to be the 'sticker' guy, hahaha). However, I really want a total turn key boat this time.

I'm sure it's cheaper to freshen 350's over the scorp engines. it simply has to be. Things go up exponentially as you near and surpass 1 HP per cubic inch.