PDA

View Full Version : Merc HD Transom Assembly, LOOKING...

roadtrip se
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
So we are shopping for the Flowerpot. Might as well beef up the transom while we are at it with the rest of the story.

Merc dropped the cost on this thing at the first of the year by 67%. Do you think it might have been a bit over-priced before?

So now, if you want one, it is a back-ordered item, and they aren't building more at this time, and there aren't many out there.

I have friends looking (thank you), and I have located a couple, but I would like more options and a good price.

If you got leads, let me know.

Thanks!

Lenny
06-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Todd,email me what you think is a good price. I KNOW that the SS and extension box are going to be short lived the way I drive and run seas :yes:

The Bravo based assembly would be an obvious choice for me and under 450 HP. As would another 7" extension box and a 3" IMCO shortie :tongue:

highlnd@telus.net

Last Real Texan
06-04-2009, 07:04 AM
So we are shopping for the Flowerpot. Might as well beef up the transom while we are at it with the rest of the story.

Merc dropped the cost on this thing at the first of the year by 67%. Do you think it might have been a bit over-priced before?

So now, if you want one, it is a back-ordered item, and they aren't building more at this time, and there aren't many out there.

I have friends looking (thank you), and I have located a couple, but I would like more options and a good price.

If you got leads, let me know.

Thanks!
Kind of Pricey but in stock.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2009-Mercruiser-Bravo-HP-Transom-Assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a0Q7c 293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el12 62QQhashZitem5d236710fbQQitemZ400025915643QQptZBoa tQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Air 22
06-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Stop peddling around and be the fastest Todd...and I dare say u would be or damn close to it with the 700SCI/NXT combo....:wink:

Ohhhhh Danny.....:nilly:

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/hp700sci.php

HP700 SCi
SPECIFICATIONS
Horsepower 700 (522 kW)
Full Throttle RPM Range 4800-5200
Displacement Liter/C.I.D. 8.2/502
Bore (in/mm) 4.47/113
Stroke (in/mm) 4.00/102
Compression Ratio 7.5:1
Cylinders V-8
Alternator (amp/watt) 90/1269
Ignition Type PCM Distributorless
Fuel System Sequential Fuel Injection
Fuel Requirements 89 Posted Octane (R+M)/2, (95 RON) International
Transmission Mercury Racing dry-sump
Drive Unit NXT¹® or NXT¹® SSM*
Gear Ratio NXT¹®, 1.61:1, 1.50:1, 1.35:1,1.24:1 or 1.15:1 or NXT¹® SSM*
Length (in/mm) 35.7/907
(Transom mount to front of engine)
Width (in/mm) 33/838
Height (in/mm) 27.9/709
Weight (lbs/kg) 1548/702
Warranty 1-Year Limited for Recreational Boating
*Application dependent. Contact Mercury Racing for addition

roadtrip se
06-04-2009, 10:08 AM
If I was going to plop that thing in, I would probably follow Ted's lead and go with the Ilmor 710.

Then I woke up... At this rate the flowerpot will be gold plated....

Thanks for the lead Tex. Anybody else?

SilverBack
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Todd...I was told that with a smaller boat like mine that when you have dual hydraulic steering that the steering really takes a lot of load off of the transom assembly. I am sure that an HD is better and stronger but I was just wondering if you have any real world experience with the regular one not holding up. I was told by IMCO when I bought my drive and box and steering that I really didn't need the HD transom assy. I am now looking at the SCX upper and you can change the helmet out and use a bravo assy. but I guess that I will go with the IMCO HD assy. if I go with that drive. Does Mercury make different models of the HD assembly? I know that IMCO has a stainless gimbal ring and stainless rams. Does Mercury make one like that?

MOP
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Tex that is a great find, it is the cheapest I have seen one for!!!

handfulz28
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Didn't Ted (Mr.X) post not that long ago that he could get them for $17xx-ish? Seems like $1800 isn't that bad a price.

roadtrip se
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Todd...I was told that with a smaller boat like mine that when you have dual hydraulic steering that the steering really takes a lot of load off of the transom assembly. I am sure that an HD is better and stronger but I was just wondering if you have any real world experience with the regular one not holding up. I was told by IMCO when I bought my drive and box and steering that I really didn't need the HD transom assy. I am now looking at the SCX upper and you can change the helmet out and use a bravo assy. but I guess that I will go with the IMCO HD assy. if I go with that drive. Does Mercury make different models of the HD assembly? I know that IMCO has a stainless gimbal ring and stainless rams. Does Mercury make one like that?

I have seen the results of a failed gimbal assembly. Usually something that occurs as the result of a corner spin-out or bad landing. I don't have any real world experience on my boats with a gimbal failure, but I have seen signs of it on other boats. People don't typically check for this on their boats, but it is a wear item, and a maintenance item. If you can move your drive at all on the trailer, you should at least look at the bearing, and inspect the rest of the system.

With the steering, you do take a lot of the pressure off of the gimbal. I have run mine like this since 2002, with no issues. I have made the choice to go in this direction, because I am re-rigging the boat any way, and intend to keep it for a very long time. Prices have come down significantly, so why not buy the insurance while we are at it. Of course, I now need to find one.

There are three HD transoms. One without a trim sensor, one with a trim sensor, and one set up for ITS. I want the one with the sensor, as I don't want to rig the boat with a manual sensor and the gauge, unless I need to go with new tabs, which I haven't needed yet. Unfortunately, the units that Tex referred me don't have the senders.

You can't go wrong with IMCO stuff. I don't think Merc offers anything like it for the Bravo style stuff. I just made the investment in a new XR upper and IMCO lower last year, or I would consider it... and of course there is that money thingy too.

SilverBack
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I have seen the results of a failed gimbal assembly. Usually something that occurs as the result of a corner spin-out or bad landing. I don't have any real world experience on my boats with a gimbal failure, but I have seen signs of it on other boats. People don't typically check for this on their boats, but it is a wear item, and a maintenance item. If you can move your drive at all on the trailer, you should at least look at the bearing, and inspect the rest of the system.

With the steering, you do take a lot of the pressure off of the gimbal. I have run mine like this since 2002, with no issues. I have made the choice to go in this direction, because I am re-rigging the boat any way, and intend to keep it for a very long time. Prices have come down significantly, so why not buy the insurance while we are at it. Of course, I now need to find one.

There are three HD transoms. One without a trim sensor, one with a trim sensor, and one set up for ITS. I want the one with the sensor, as I don't want to rig the boat with a manual sensor and the gauge, unless I need to go with new tabs, which I haven't needed yet. Unfortunately, the units that Tex referred me don't have the senders.

You can't go wrong with IMCO stuff. I don't think Merc offers anything like it for the Bravo style stuff. I just made the investment in a new XR upper and IMCO lower last year, or I would consider it... and of course there is that money thingy too.

Thanks for the information Todd. I think that transom assemblies are one of those things that doesn't make your boat go faster and dosn't add much tot he bling factor (unless you go with that IMCO unit) and just gets overlooked. I was talking to a guy that had switched over to Arnesons on a twin blower boat and the main reason he said that he chaged was a gimbal failure at 85 MPH when he landed wrong. He said that he felt lucky to be alive when it was all over with. I have no slack at all in my drive but I am sure the next time everything comes apart I will be changing to something else. I am sure that you are making a smart move here. It is like you said about the insurance thing. I have heard that you are a very skilled driver and really know how to push the limit on your boat. I run pretty fast but it is on water that is smooth as glass most of the time and event he wakes that I cross I just slice through. I have not caught any air yet and really don't think that I will. I was supposed to go to that driving school this spring but got sidelined working on the boat.

Make sure to post some pictures of yours and if you can take a side by side with the new one and the old one when you get your new one.

Thanks!

boxy
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Stop peddling around and be the fastest Todd...and I dare say u would be or damn close to it with the 700SCI/NXT combo....:wink:
Ohhhhh Danny.....:nilly:
http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/hp700sci.php

Dwight, that 700 has 230 more ponies than the HP500. I thought Todd was just going to pretty up the flower pot, and sail gracefully into his retirement years on Golden Pond ..... :D

The Hedgehog
06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Then there are the old school HD gimbals that don't have the slot for the drive oil reservoir. You have to be special to have one of those.

MOP
06-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Todd look at the side shot of the one on Ebay, it does have the trim senders.

roadtrip se
06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Dwight, that 700 has 230 more ponies than the HP500. I thought Todd was just going to pretty up the flower pot, and sail gracefully into his retirement years on Golden Pond ..... :D

Thanks Box! Just nice and slow right by the other nice and slow folks....

MOP, I called on the ebay units. No senders.

roadtrip se
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
6-11-09

I know, I know, wait on the backorder, but if I can find one for reasonable bucks, we just might have to.

I am worried about the back-ordered, back order....

Feel like that dog treat commercial with the treat on the nose and being told to "wait for it".... BACON!