PDA

View Full Version : bad shift cable change advice needed

lee
06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I have to change my shift cable is to stretched can't get in reverse what do I need to do to swap out on a alpha1 drive. 1981 classic 18

Trueser
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Sterndrives.com

follow the instructions and order the special tool and cable from them.

http://sterndrives.com/

MOP
06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Before you take on the horrible job check one thing, remove the cable going to the helm. Then loosen the pivot bolt on the one going to the drive, that one will slide upward away from the main pivot to increase the throw going to the drive might work. If you have already tried that swap the cable, the most important thing you need is one of the "Snap On" extra deep 9/16 sockets which must be thinned at the end to get it in to get the cable out of the shield. grind the nice shinny new socket evenly in about 3'8" to 1/2" about .035 all the way around. You need to pull the end off the cable inside the boat remove the little locks and pull hard, then go outside remove the shifter boot and pull the cable out. The nasty nut is buried where the cable comes out of the shield, going back you will need help!!! Groping/guiding the cable and pushing it through where it has to be is a two man job. Oh before you start make a mental note of the routing it is easier to do it as it comes in the wrestle later!

fogducker III
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Before you take on the horrible job check one thing, remove the cable going to the helm. Then loosen the pivot bolt on the one going to the drive, that one will slide upward away from the main pivot to increase the throw going to the drive might work. If you have already tried that swap the cable, the most important thing you need is one of the "Snap On" extra deep 9/16 sockets which must be thinned at the end to get it in to get the cable out of the shield. grind the nice shinny new socket evenly in about 3'8" to 1/2" about .035 all the way around. You need to pull the end off the cable inside the boat remove the little locks and pull hard, then go outside remove the shifter boot and pull the cable out. The nasty nut is buried where the cable comes out of the shield, going back you will need help!!! Groping/guiding the cable and pushing it through where it has to be is a two man job. Oh before you start make a mental note of the routing it is easier to do it as it comes in the wrestle later!

MOP, I love it, you are a master at describing this $hit........I have done numerous leg changes, gear linkages, bellows changes etc etc but would find it very difficult to describe how to do it to somebody else...........

CUDOS to you, it takes time and patience to put into words how to do this crap and you do it well...........sorry for the hi-jack but I had to put my 2 cents in.............I guess 1 1/2 cents in :canada: :yes:

Lenny
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I had to put my 2 cents in.............I guess 1 1/2 cents in :canada: :yes:

Almost PAR again with the US buck Jeremy :D

fogducker III
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Almost PAR again with the US buck Jeremy :D

Not for long Lenny, check the stock market.........:bonk:

BIG companies doing bad, small companies doing well, pinions like us spend and the US dollar goes up.........watch............:yes:

lee
06-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Before you take on the horrible job check one thing, remove the cable going to the helm. Then loosen the pivot bolt on the one going to the drive, that one will slide upward away from the main pivot to increase the throw going to the drive might work. If you have already tried that swap the cable, the most important thing you need is one of the "Snap On" extra deep 9/16 sockets which must be thinned at the end to get it in to get the cable out of the shield. grind the nice shinny new socket evenly in about 3'8" to 1/2" about .035 all the way around. You need to pull the end off the cable inside the boat remove the little locks and pull hard, then go outside remove the shifter boot and pull the cable out. The nasty nut is buried where the cable comes out of the shield, going back you will need help!!! Groping/guiding the cable and pushing it through where it has to be is a two man job. Oh before you start make a mental note of the routing it is easier to do it as it comes in the wrestle later!done that shifted thetension still no help

lee
06-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Before you take on the horrible job check one thing, remove the cable going to the helm. Then loosen the pivot bolt on the one going to the drive, that one will slide upward away from the main pivot to increase the throw going to the drive might work. If you have already tried that swap the cable, the most important thing you need is one of the "Snap On" extra deep 9/16 sockets which must be thinned at the end to get it in to get the cable out of the shield. grind the nice shinny new socket evenly in about 3'8" to 1/2" about .035 all the way around. You need to pull the end off the cable inside the boat remove the little locks and pull hard, then go outside remove the shifter boot and pull the cable out. The nasty nut is buried where the cable comes out of the shield, going back you will need help!!! Groping/guiding the cable and pushing it through where it has to be is a two man job. Oh before you start make a mental note of the routing it is easier to do it as it comes in the wrestle later!do you have the shaved socket i can borrow can give a deposit