PDA

View Full Version : A couple of newbie questions

Phil S
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I have the 4.3 omc / regular cobra (sx ?) outdrive and it is still difficult to shift. It goes into F/N/R, but it is a far cry from what I have read should be a "2-finger" push / pull. Last summer right after I got it, I "paid for" a local shop to replace the remote cable, and the transom shift cable, but the way it is still acting, I'm not sure if they actually replaced the transom cable or not ! (they couldn't ever get it to go in reverse, so I went and got it out of there...they also told me that the esa was the "neutral-safety switch" !? I've learned a lot since then, and have been doing most all of my own work since. The esa is working fine, stumbling the engine & all going in and coming out of gear. I've followed all the cable adjusting procedures, also replaced the control box, but it is still v. difficult to shift. Drive oil is fresh, u-joints & gimbal greased, bellows are new, and underway, the drive seems to be operating v smoothly throughout its range of motion.

I'm thinking of buying a new transom shift cable & cable bellows & replacing it, supposedly again. Do I feed the cable up from the drive thru the transom ? Any suggestions, tricks or tips will be most appreciated. BTW, with the drive off, and all cables still attached the contol box moves effortlessly.

BTW Grizzly, I still want to talk to you about a prop soon. I found a used SS one here locally over the winter, 23p ballistic, in perfect shape for $100 bucks...I couldn't resist trying it, but I think it is too much. I used a handheld tach and the RPM's are down to 4100 which is too low isn't it?

Thanks in advance.

mikev
06-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Is it still just as difficult to shift with the engine not running? if yes it's the cable. If it shifts easy with engine off and difficult when running its the shift interrupt switch. my merc 4.3 had the same problem a couple years back adjusted the interrupt and it's like butter now. I am assuming OMC is the same way.

BigGrizzly
06-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Phil, I am still here. Take your time and make the right choice once.

Phil S
06-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Will do Grizzly...I'm pretty sure I still have your phone number.

MikeV - I haven't tried that yet, but will tonight. I think I read somewhere that you have to have someone manually turning the prop when you try to shift it without the motor running...sound correct ? In-gear RPM's are right at 500. It is worse coming out of reverse than in forward. The interrupt seems to be working as the engine noticeably stumbles going in and coming out of gear.

It is working, just not very effortlessly.

Phil S
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Mike -

Thanks for the advice. I tried your suggestion and it's just as difficult shifting with the engine off....you think that's definitely the cable ? If so, since I've never changed one, only adjusted the one I have, is that a difficult job ya think ? Just for peace of mind, I'm going to replace it anyway....along with the cable bellows.

Any advice or tips are most appreciated.

Phil

MOP
06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
The Cobra bottom shifter should "NEVER" be shifted with the engine not running! If you have new cables look for sharp bends the bends should be very mellow. I always used the two foot rule for 90 degree bends which was taught in tech school. The two foot rule is a bit hard to explain without visualization, simple explanation it to hold a cable with your hands two feet apart. Then bend it to 90 degrees you will see how mellow the bend is, it does two things extends cable life and reduces friction within the cable.

mikev
06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
never replaced a cable and mine is a merc so different animal sorry.