PDA

View Full Version : external steering

Zinger
06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm new to my dual ram extenal steering on my 22 classic and tring to get the steering wheel straigth but it always changing with the current. I go out of the harbor and the wheel is one way coming back its in a different postion is this normal ? Also without the engine running I can push the drive a little each way and see the ram cylinders move. While out with the boat the steering is fine just not sure if these things are normal. :pimp::drive:please

SilverBack
06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm new to my dual ram extenal steering on my 22 classic and tring to get the steering wheel straigth but it always changing with the current. I go out of the harbor and the wheel is one way coming back its in a different postion is this normal ? Also without the engine running I can push the drive a little each way and see the ram cylinders move. While out with the boat the steering is fine just not sure if these things are normal. :pimp::drive:please

I think that it is normal for the wheel to do this. My steering wheel moves also. My drive will not budge at all without moving the steering wheel however. I think there may be some air in your line or something. I am not sure but I would not think that yours should move.

zelatore
06-02-2009, 12:12 AM
hmmm...I've only had my dual-ram on the boat since this winter, but I'm pretty sure the wheel returns to the same place each time. I know the single ram systems don't, but I thought all the duals did (?).

if you can move the drive around, combined with the wheel changing on you, I'm going to say bleed it some more. I know when I bled mine after the initial installation it took fooooorrrrrreeeeevverrrr.

Mr X
06-02-2009, 05:21 AM
100% normal, the wheel does not return to the same place.

hot shot
06-02-2009, 07:28 AM
you should not be able to move the drive... keep on bleeding it till it quit's
like mr x sais the wheel will always change

MOP
06-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Jeff you need to bleed the air and live with the wheel is never returning to the same place, with slack in the drive you are loosing the main benefit of the system stabilizing the drive. Don't know what helm you have but with many you can keep turning the wheel in one direction then the other (quite a few turns each way). That forces the oil along with the air into the reservoir, you need to keep an eye on the oil level.

Air 22
06-02-2009, 08:34 AM
you should not be able to move the drive... keep on bleeding it till it quit's
like mr x sais the wheel will always change

What they said...:smash:

BigGrizzly
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
ZING, Mine did that move thing then stopped then did it again it turned out to be a bubble trapped in the left ran- in my case, poor hose routing. I just got the son to turn the wheel and did the open the connector of the trma and let the oil come out like a brake bleed thing then re fill. I overdid it but it worked.

gcarter
06-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Livorsi used to offer a "quick disconnect" wheel hub that could be put on six different ways........not that it changes anything about the wheel coming back to the original position, but you can easily remove the wheel and move it to a different position.
Great Lakes Skipper on eBay still has some of these hubs....about $150.00.

rr1048
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I have Latham duel ram steering on my 20' Cigarette and the wheel changes position constantly. I believe this is just the nature of some systems. I just replaced my steering wheel with equal divided spokes so it is less noticeable. After a short while you never notice it anymore.

widowmaker
06-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll echo the previous responses about the wheel never returning to the previous position. It made me a little crazy at first, but knowing that it is "normal" makes it a bit more bearable.

The Hedgehog
06-03-2009, 09:56 PM
hmmm...I've only had my dual-ram on the boat since this winter, but I'm pretty sure the wheel returns to the same place each time. I know the single ram systems don't, but I thought all the duals did (?).
if you can move the drive around, combined with the wheel changing on you, I'm going to say bleed it some more. I know when I bled mine after the initial installation it took fooooorrrrrreeeeevverrrr.

It is crazy but true about the wheel creeping around. I am amazed how many $800k boats have asymetrical (sp???) wheels and they don't return back to the same place.

zelatore
06-03-2009, 10:42 PM
OK, OK, I messed up. I have a nice symmetrical wheel, so I guess I just didn't notice.