PDA

View Full Version : ZR comp with staggered 525's

Last Real Texan
06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
What could one expect performance wise with this set up?
Tex

Planetwarmer
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
To me, that seems like a big boat for 525s.

boxy
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Typhoon's staggered 700 4 step boat ran 112. If it is a newer 4 step hull I think you might see high 90's, an older 2 step hull should run mid 90's. The 38 ZR will run 94 if it's propped for top end, we did in the staggered 525 boat in the 1000 Islands.
Ping Frank at Typhoon for hard answers.

boxy
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
To me, that seems like a big boat for 525s.
A regular ZR runs great with a staggered 525 set up, not crazy fast, but real nice. I think the ZRC hull should be good for a few more MPH's. There is a lot to be said for nudging 100 MPH with stock warrantied power.

Carl C
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
90.3 mph

Based on a championship raceboat hull, Donzi's 38ZR tops out at 90 mph.
By Capt. Stuart Reininger
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/motorboat/articles/features/2005/06/fea_donzi_220x142.jpgThere was a day last winter when Miami's Biscayne Bay was crisscrossed by plumes of white water. The rumble of numerous high performance engines carried across the flats like a roll of thunder. The go-fast boats weren't gathered for any particular occasion. The Miami International Boat Show had just ended, the weather was perfect, a gentle southerly breeze had kicked up a light chop and there was the bay, just waiting. Close to this impromptu gathering was Donzi's new 38ZR. If you were nearby, you could see its rooster tail behind a streak of hot yellow and fire engine red, low and flat to the water.
At A GlanceDonzi 38Base Price (w/test power):$275,571Flat Out:90.3 mphEngines:(2) 525-hp Mercury Racing gasoline enginesThe Donzi wasn't out there playing around; this was a sea trial, serious stuff. The fact that I was enjoying myself immensely while in control of the 1,050 raging horses stabled a few feet behind me was superfluous. Unfortunately, the Donzi representative with me wasn't so comfortable. He knew that I wasn't a graduate of "Donzi U, the hands-on training program with a professional driver from the Donzi staff. The driving school is offered to every buyer of a Donzi performance boat. The rep had every right to feel nervous. Over the years, I've punched in plenty of throttle time aboard one go-fast or another, but this ZR is

Carl C
06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
More:
The rep had every right to feel nervous. Over the years, I've punched in plenty of throttle time aboard one go-fast or another, but this ZR is beyond go-fast; it's pure performance.

This new model is the production version of Donzi's 38ZR Competition Race Boat. To date, the 38 holds five national championship titles and two world championship honors. While plowing furrows in the protected waters of Biscayne Bay, I kept my cool at the wheel, because at 90 mph you don't want to do anything foolish, like hiccup. http://www2.worldpub.net/images/motorboat/articles/features/2005/06/fea_donzi2_165x108.jpgDuring the sea trial, the boat topped out at 90.3 mph with the ZR's twin 525-hp Mercury Racing EFI engines, Bravo XR drives and four-blade props. But the Donzi rep was disappointed; he thought the boat could do better. So, the 38 went back to the factory, where it was re-propped with five-blade wheels. The modification squeezed top end up to 93.6 mph.

Carl C
06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
That tells you something about this boat builder. To Donzi, an extra mile per hour is like a minute saved by a marathoner; it's that important. That dedication to excellence extends to the way Donzi puts the ZR together. Beneath those cornea-peeling graphics lies a lightweight fiberglass laminate with a vacuum-infused coring. The glass-encapsulated composite stringer system boasts a full-length centerline keel stringer, something typically found only on raceboats. The hull-to-deck joint is glassed as well as chemically bonded. This ensures stiffness, which prevents the performance-destroying flexing that can plague this breed. http://www2.worldpub.net/images/motorboat/articles/features/2005/06/fea_donzi3_165x108.jpgMUSCLE: Staggered Mercury Racing engines.Speeds in the 90-mph range aren't all that surprising with so much horsepower on the transom. But the Donzi's performance is distinctive for a few reasons. If you've listened to many go-fast boats at idle, you know the engines can be discordant; they sound like they need to be opened up to clear their throats. But performance boats aren't always racing. They're used for trips around the bay and cruises to dockside bistros where rough-sounding engines are annoying. The Mercury Racing EFI engines on the Donzi are as smooth at idle and mid-range rpm as they are at wide-open throttle. One reason is Mercury's SmartCraft PCM 038 microprocessor, which optimizes the fuel control for each cylinder independently, allowing them to run more efficiently at low revs. Then there are the Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads, designed exclusively for Mercury Racing, that contribute to the exquisite balance a high performance engine needs

Carl C
06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
The Donzi also has a great hands-on-the-wheel feel. On many go-fasts, the wheel takes on a life of its own when the boat is driven at high speeds. Regardless of the sea conditions, it constantly needs minute adjustments to keep the boat on track. That wasn't the case on the ZR. The wheel was as rock-solid at 20 mph as it was at 90. That's the result of an ideal hull/engine/drivetrain marriage. On the Donzi, there's a nice balance accorded by the staggered engine installation (it provides a lower, more forward center of gravity) and Mercury Racing's Integrated Transom System (ITS), which includes a built-in tie-bar attachment and integral power steering cylinders.

At the helm, the skipper is snug in one of two bolstered seats. The windshield artfully funnels the wind aft. At speed, passengers in the backseat might be surprised at how pliable their facial expressions can be. Then again, that pleated aft bench is very comfortable. There are handholds for all. The cabin, with its double berth, is great for a midday rest. Weekend outings are doable on the ZR, which also has a galley module, compact refrigerator and enclosed head with freshwater sink and shower and an optional vacuum-flush toilet.
The gear-heads among us will love the access to the machinery. Essentially, the whole aft deck (topped by a full-length sunpad) comes up on twin hydraulic rams. Even with all that space-jamming horsepower, you'll be able to get in there, crawl around and reach anything essential. The wiring and plumbing is routed, color-coded and chafe-protected. This new ZR will wow them dockside. But if you're even thinking about fire-walling those throttles, first sit down with one of the nice professors from Donzi U.

boxy
06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
90.3 mph

Carl, that is the ZR, not the ZR Comp. The Comp boat should run few MPH faster than the ZR

Carl C
06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Shoot, you're right. It's a "production version" of the comp. Still pretty impressive performance for a full cabin version. Actually they had this one up to 93.6 with a top end prop (post #6).

boxy
06-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Typhoon's staggered 700 4 step boat ran 112. If it is a newer 4 step hull I think you might see high 90's, an older 2 step hull should run mid 90's. The 38 ZR will run 94 if it's propped for top end, we did in the staggered 525 boat in the 1000 Islands.
Ping Frank at Typhoon for hard answers.

Shoot, you're right. It's a "production version" of the comp. Still pretty impressive performance for a full cabin version. Actually they had this one up to 93.6 with a top end prop (post #6).

I know ... :D :D

Planetwarmer
06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
94 mph, That is IMPRESSIVE!:eek: Other than looks, what is the difference between the ZR and the Comp? I wonder how the 38 ZR Comp would stack up against a Cig and a Fountain of similar size with the same power and drives.

Donzi seems expensive compared to something like a Baja. If we all weren't so biased, is Donzi truly that much better? I really know nothing about the bigger Donzis. Ive never seen one in person!

RickSE
06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes, I seem to remember that the original Comp's would run in the low to mid-90's w/525's. The new Comp's may be a little lighter and have a new bottom so they may run a little faster.

The Comp is a sit down boat. Original ones had no cabin but you can get one with a minimal cabin now. These boats came staggered or side by side.

The non-Comp 38 is a stand-up boat. Comes with a full cabin but you can order them with a strip down cabin which takes weight out of the boat.