PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a skier with the rear "eye" on a C

Planetwarmer
05-31-2009, 03:36 PM
I have never pulled anything with my 22C, and would like to. Should I install a tow hook that comes standard on the newer 1s, or is it ok to use the lifting hook?

It really looks to me that the lifting eye is not made for lateral forces.

VetteLT193
05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
how big is the person you will be pulling?

My brother has used his before, it will be fine if you aren't pulling horse.

I haven't yet but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on myself @ 200 pounds.

If you see how many of the 'real' ski mounts are installed you might like the lifting ring better:smash:

Planetwarmer
05-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Probably tubes and wake boards with normal sized riders.

BUIZILLA
05-31-2009, 04:20 PM
if it'll hold 2500# lifting, why won't it pull 200# ?

zelatore
05-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Well, a serious skiier may only weigh in at 200 lbs, but he'll put waaay more force than that on rope. Ever been in a small boat when a good slalom skiier makes a cut and feel the boat dragged off course?

Still, I think it would be fine. The only concern I would have is that the eye is designed for a vertical load instead of a horizontal one. But again, I think it would be fine.

yeller
05-31-2009, 05:22 PM
I personally wouldn't use the lifting eye. Although it may work for a while, I would think it would eventually cause damage to the deck. The lifting ring only uses a 5/8" rod. Plenty for vertical lifts, but not enough for lateral pulls.

JimG
05-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Used mine a lot for pulling a skier/wakeboarder. A neighbor kid. No ill efects at all. Pretty tough thing, that lifting ring...:)

boatnut
05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I've used the lifting ring on 3 Donzis ('67 18, '69 18, '82 22) for over 30 years, all sizes/weights, wakeboards, slalom courses, etc. It will work fine. My current '97 has the ski tow behind the lifting ring as you mentioned and I think it is a total waste -- not needed. I would never add one as you don't need more junk on a classic or more holes in the hull/deck. As per Murphy's law, now that I have a donzi with a formal ski hook I never tow anyone behind it as I have another boat for that duty. Ed

yeller
05-31-2009, 06:39 PM
I've used the lifting ring on 3 Donzis ('67 18, '69 18, '82 22) for over 30 years, all sizes/weights, wakeboards, slalom courses, etc. It will work fine. My current '97 has the ski tow behind the lifting ring as you mentioned and I think it is a total waste -- not needed. I would never add one as you don't need more junk on a classic or more holes in the hull/deck. As per Murphy's law, now that I have a donzi with a formal ski hook I never tow anyone behind it as I have another boat for that duty. EdWell that does surprise me. There would easily be enough stress on the 5/8" rod to bend it. The only reason it doesn't is because of the S/S ring (at the base of the lifting eye). I figured eventually that ring would pop loose and you'd end up with a damaged deck.

But, FWIW, I'm the type of person that wouldn't have used the stock ski hook either. Just doesn't seem to have a solid enough backing. I'd like to see the ski hook attached to the reinforced transom.

The Hedgehog
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Well that does surprise me. There would easily be enough stress on the 5/8" rod to bend it. The only reason it doesn't is because of the S/S ring (at the base of the lifting eye). I figured eventually that ring would pop loose and you'd end up with a damaged deck.
But, FWIW, I'm the type of person that wouldn't have used the stock ski hook either. Just doesn't seem to have a solid enough backing. I'd like to see the ski hook attached to the reinforced transom.

I would think the exact same thing. There is a difference between pulling vertically on a 5/8 rod and horizontally. I probably would not do it with mine.

That being, these guys seem to have good luck with it.

BUIZILLA
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
many a Donzi has been towed by that lifting eye... for MANY miles and MANY hours on end coughcoughbudmanncoughcoughburp

Pismo
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
I would think the exact same thing. There is a difference between pulling vertically on a 5/8 rod and horizontally. I probably would not do it with mine.
That being, these guys seem to have good luck with it.

You are not pulling laterally on an unsupported free end of a 5/8" rod. The eye end is supported laterally by the steel collar which is supported by the deck which is plenty strong.

The Hedgehog
05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
You are not pulling laterally on an unsupported free end of a 5/8" rod. The eye end is supported laterally by the steel collar which is supported by the deck which is plenty strong.

Makes sense

MOP
05-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Like said above many many miles of towing many things COUGH COUGH!! One thing to look at and to keep an eye on is the plate mentioned above! Rarely they will get loose that can cause some minor damage, the screw hole got to Hel not a biggy just rotate the plate and drill new holes. If you wan to go into over kill through bolt it then you can tow a semi!!!

yeller
06-01-2009, 02:38 AM
You are not pulling laterally on an unsupported free end of a 5/8" rod. The eye end is supported laterally by the steel collar which is supported by the deck which is plenty strong.Yea, but that collar is only held in place with #8 screws. I didn't think that would be enough, but it looks as if many have proved me wrong.

MOP
06-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Yea, but that collar is only held in place with #8 screws. I didn't think that would be enough, but it looks as if many have proved me wrong.

I had mine out when the transom was done over, the glass up there is pretty thick I would guess at about 3/8". That is pretty substantial, I have seen a few boats towed that is a lot more stress then even a very heavy skier.

A note to all Donzi owners! The lifting rings brackets are not sealed inside the boat, water runs down the shank of the lifting eyes and works its way into the transom wood. The transom wood in mine showed dark staining from the bolts down. IMO it is a very good idea to clean the top of the bracket and apply sealer to prevent future problems.

Trueser
06-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Used mine all the time on the 22 we had. On the Z29 the glass guy used it to pick the back of the 29 off the trailer.

As long as it's in good shape and tight I would use it!

Just Say N20
06-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Interesting observation; when "thinking about it" the consensus is that it shouldn't work. In actuality it works just great.

I too used the rear lifting ring on two 18s for years for everything from pulling great slalom skiers, to barefooting, to tubing, with absolutely no problem at all.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

boatnut
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
A note to all Donzi owners! The lifting rings brackets are not sealed inside the boat, water runs down the shank of the lifting eyes and works its way into the transom wood. The transom wood in mine showed dark staining from the bolts down. IMO it is a very good idea to clean the top of the bracket and apply sealer to prevent future problems.

Thanks -- that is a good tip. I have noticed especially on my newer '97 (I'm old so '97 is new to me) that Donzi did a poor job of properly sealing fastners/holes everywhere -- everytime I look I find another place that water can weep into deck coring etc. I will seal that bracket. As for the discussion on the lifting ring and deck support, in my opinion if you properly secured the bottom of a short (as it is in the aft lift ring) 5/8" rod or bolt of good steel you could put it up into the air and tow skiers with it and it would not bend. Bending a 5 or 6 inch 5/8" rod takes more force than you get from a good slalom turn -- Ed

BigGrizzly
06-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I have used that lifting eye since 1966 and on every Donzi I have had. Sorry for the lat responce but I was on the lake having fun yesterday.

Planetwarmer
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
considering the fact that my 22C is a 1987, I'm sure that the previous 2 owners pulled someone a time or two.

Thanks for all of the input. I will seal the area and insure the screws are tight.:boat:

Pismo
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Yea, but that collar is only held in place with #8 screws. I didn't think that would be enough, but it looks as if many have proved me wrong.

If there were no screws it would work fine. Think where the forces are coming from.

gcarter
06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Why not entertain the idea of making a harness tied to the two transom rings? Most are 3/8" SST backed on the inside w/3/4" plywood.
It obviously removes ANY load from the lifting ring.
After all, we use the bow ring for winching on the trailer, not the lifting ring.

VetteLT193
06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Why not entertain the idea of making a harness tied to the two transom rings? Most are 3/8" SST backed on the inside w/3/4" plywood.
After all, we use the bow ring for winching on the trailer, not the lifting ring.

not all of us have transom rings...

thriller
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeller,,
Get back to work in the backyard..Must be like 30.C. outside..
Got a buyer fior the Bronco yet?
ps
I do not use my lifting ring..pure decoration in 24k Gold:)
I do however use the ski ring on transom for tubing..Can you say facewash:)

MM:)

gcarter
06-01-2009, 06:57 PM
not all of us have transom rings...

That's easy to fix....it'll cost about $20.00 and take maybe 45 minutes.

bronco
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM
[quote=thriller;516368]Yeller,,
Get back to work in the backyard..Must be like 30.C. outside..
Got a buyer fior the Bronco yet?

hey,,, did someone say bronco. my 2 favorite things are broncos and donzis. i have a 66,75, (2) 79,s, 93 broncos. i have a 22c .
is there a link to this bronco???:nilly:

i only have the lifting eye,from reading this i feel comfortable using it to ski behind.

VetteLT193
06-01-2009, 07:45 PM
That's easy to fix....it'll cost about $20.00 and take maybe 45 minutes.

Money/time/effort is not the issue. I'd rather not have more stuff bolted to/through the boat.

Also: I'm not the only one here without them.

Planetwarmer
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't have transom rings. That is an idea though. I wouldn't mind securing the ass end while trailering. :convertib::boat:

The Hedgehog
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM

That would be the strongest way and would work fine for general skiing. Those pull wrong if you are a serious skiier. But then you would probably want a ski boat if you did that.

I guess that to avoid being flamed I will refrain from my wake board tower idea:popcorn:

yeller
06-01-2009, 09:33 PM
is there a link to this bronco???:nilly:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1178706795.html

gcarter
06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I guess that to avoid being flamed I will refrain from my wake board tower idea:popcorn:

It's been done, do something original HH..

Oh wait, this isn't the smacktalk thread is it?? :bonk: :bonk:

Isn't this the area for bizzare ideas, wakeboard towers, funny windshields, and multiple sets of trim tabs?

ZekesterbluH3
06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
DON'T!

The PO of my Hornet 3 obviously towed with the lifting hook...there are numerous spider cracks (I'll get a pic) emanating radially out about 3 inches all the way around, in the gelcoat and deeper...the #8s that held the collar were completely stripped out, and the ring was loose and vibrating...

If you are cool with that happening down the road, off you go...

that and if the 5/8 threaded rod that you have in shear lets go, it will make a bigger hole in your transom, and who knows where your skier will be....

ZekesterbluH3
06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Here you go.....

Planetwarmer
06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I guess it would be better to have a dedicated rope attachment point. Any suggestions?

yeller
06-08-2009, 02:07 AM
I removed the bottom two bolts for the lifting eye bracket and installed the ski hook in their place. I had to use a round file and elongate the holes slightly because the bolt holes were about 1/8" too far apart. This is the best spot for it in my opinion because it goes through the strongest part of the boat.

A word of caution though: You may have to do a minor bit of gel repair if the lifting bracket bolts were installed with 5200 like mine were. Wasn't anything major. Took me less than 1hr for the total repair (not including curing time).

joseph m. hahnl
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a rope tow eye on the Minx. The advantage to it is, the rope comes on and off with out fishing the line all the way through. :wink:

Just Say N20
06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
DON'T!

The PO of my Hornet 3 obviously towed with the lifting hook...there are numerous spider cracks (I'll get a pic) emanating radially out about 3 inches all the way around, in the gelcoat and deeper...the #8s that held the collar were completely stripped out, and the ring was loose and vibrating...

If you are cool with that happening down the road, off you go...

that and if the 5/8 threaded rod that you have in shear lets go, it will make a bigger hole in your transom, and who knows where your skier will be....

This is somewhat of a curiosity to me. So many have towed with this ring without the cracks you show in the next thread, that perhaps the PO was a "helpful neighbor" and towed a 50' cruiser back to port using the lifting ring.

ZekesterbluH3
06-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I think it was used to smuggle smokes and contraband licker...maybe he towed a barge....

or a really big skier?

yes after reading about the relatively indamaged rings, it makes you wonder..i never compared to another one, just assumed the damage was from a skier...

Carl C
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
I guess it would be better to have a dedicated rope attachment point. Any suggestions?

The 22s come with a tow hook now. Here is what they look like, it's right below the lifting ring. We were heading out to do some skiing this day;). You can buy them just about anywhere.

edit: Here is a better pic. Here they are at Overton's. You can order it at www.overtons.com (http://www.overtons.com) The factory one is the smaller 2 1/2" one. Only $20.