PDA

View Full Version : 1965 sweet 16 balsa core repairs

chaneyboy
05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
I have a 1965 sweet 16 that I have removed the old rotted balsa core from and would like to knwo if anyone has a lin to the cradle schematics to build for the top deck so that i can remove it and repair it so that that the top will fit correctly back on without any distortion from the new fiberglass drying-thanks

Speed Racer
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Doh!!

I actually HAD one... Unfortunately, the yard that did the work for me cut it up into scrap after the boat got done..

Here is a link to some shots of the re-core job done on mine...

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg/DonziInProgress#

Good luck !!!

GG

chaneyboy
06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Thank youvery much for those pictures Gary-That boat is sweet lloking now! If you dot mind me asking, what did it cost to have the reab work done...including the incredible paint job? thanks again, Loren

chaneyboy
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I live in Waldorf , Maryland about 20 miles south of Washington DC.I am thinking of having a professional do the work...although I have a very good idea as to how to build the cradle from your picures.

chaneyboy
06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
her are a few pictures of my 65 sweet 16 in its current condition

chaneyboy
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
more pixs

chaneyboy
06-01-2009, 06:24 PM
a few more

chaneyboy
06-01-2009, 06:31 PM
more parts

MOP
06-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Artie one of our members from Babylon NY had one of those Waukeshaw setup complete, it had power trim that was part of the shield. It had a piston that came out and pushed on a ball on the gear case. Moody Blue bought the trim unit, I thought it was a sweet setup.

MOP
06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
It is fairly easy making templates for the deck, you do need two people one to hold the plywood and one to do the marking. Setting up a solid table to set it on is another thing to build ahead of time! I would consider going to the newer composite coring instead of balsa, though I feel balsa is easier to work with.

BERTRAM BOY
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I recored my 16 without using a jig. I supported it very well with sawhorses and other supports. Here's the link.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36261

Speed Racer
06-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I would have loved to use the sawhorse method, but as you can see in the early photos of lifting the thing, it had NO shape or strength, so it was impossible to figure out the proper shape.
I worked with a company called CSR marine here in Seattle, who mostly do Racing Sailboats.. I think I have between 8 and 10 into the glass and paint.

To be honest, I am not sure. One thing I promised myself is that I will NEVER add the receipts up.

All I know is that it is paid for, and as good or better than a new boat!

hardcrab
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
was this boat an e-bay sale in Pasadena Md ?

Conquistador_del_mar
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I would have loved to use the sawhorse method, but as you can see in the early photos of lifting the thing, it had NO shape or strength, so it was impossible to figure out the proper shape.
I worked with a company called CSR marine here in Seattle, who mostly do Racing Sailboats.. I think I have between 8 and 10 into the glass and paint.

To be honest, I am not sure. One thing I promised myself is that I will NEVER add the receipts up.

All I know is that it is paid for, and as good or better than a new boat!

As the deck's bulge would sag over time, this would force the hull sides out a little. If someone with a perfect deck were to make exact width measurements along a longitudinal line down the deck center every 6" or so, another guy could set his deck upside down to be recored and copy those dimensions in his setup before coring the deck. This of course would be contingent on the decks coming from the same molds or copies of the same molds originally - which I believe they were. Make sense?
Garry is right in that you don't really want to add up the receipts like I did on my 1971 18' 2+3 restoration - lol. Bill

chaneyboy
06-02-2009, 04:18 PM
HI Hrdcrab, No this was not from Pasadena, I saw the one you were talking about, becuase i almost bought it because it looked so much like mine. I did however have it on ebay about 3 months ago. I am in Waldorf, maryland which is about 20 miles south of DC.

chaneyboy
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Bill, Thanbk goodness , the deck has not begun to sag yet. The top fits nice and tght even though I took these pictures without realizing that I did not put the top back on all the way. I have had the top of this boat a few time wen I was going to attempt to do the work but got cold feet at the last secong becuase I was afraid that the shrinking or drying of the resin would skew the top out of shape. I have already move the boat into my garage and becun to set up an area to start the repairs. I am a skilled carpenter and have very machanically incline but when it come to a nice old classic like this , I wanted to make sure I get things right about what I dont know. I cant believ all te great advise that has come from this website-thanks everyone!

chaneyboy
06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Garry, What year & size is your Donzi? It looks to be a bit larger than the 16. Maybe its the angle but your nose seems to be longer and the cockpit area seems to be futher back in the boat.