PDA

View Full Version : What to expect if I buy a used Donzi???

RW2003
05-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Ever since I was a kid I've always been fascinated with fast and loud cars and boats. I'm in my mid-40s now and have never owned a boat... in fact I really don't have much boating or water experience at all. I did rent a 16' motorboat "bowrider" last year while on vacation in Mass. and had some fun with the family (4 adults and 1 child) for a few hours in CC bay.

I always read through the classifieds on here and on Ebay just to get an idea of what Donzis are out there for sale and what the prices are.

I figure a good starting point may be a 18" or 22" Classic or similar boat.

So let's say I find a decent used boat, 10+ years old, in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. Maybe like these...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57512
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57621
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57455

I'm in northern NJ... so I'm close to the Hudson river/NYBay area. Jersey Shore is also kind of close.

What am I getting into???

I'd love to hear about what kind of regular maintenance and costs these boats need. What is it like to trailer the boat to/from the water? Is it hard to get the boat in/out of the water with the trailer and the ramp?

How much gas do they go through? Is a V6 or SBC or Ford good? What about the BBC or Ford? Is the increased gas consumption worth it?

Suggestions on a good place to in the Norther NJ area to learn how to handle a boat???

Any comments would be appreciated!

THANKS!!!

MOP
05-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Being your first performance boat I would take it slow! Go with a small engine in a 16 or 18, V8's generally hold a little better value. Get a seasons worth of driving experience then do your dreaming and moving up or what ever next winter. Buying any boat can have its pit falls, hopefully you will find one you like near to another member that knows what to look at/for. You can always get piece of mind hiring a surveyor.

Phil

olredalert
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
-------You sound like a nice intelligent guy so I will tell you to find someone either off this board or somewhere else (second choice) and get some seat time in the "passenger" seat of a DONZI as soon as possible. Maybe go to one of the closer DONZI get-togethers as everyone will welcome you like a long lost cousin. We all love passengers to abuse and you will get a feel for what you are getting into. I dont in any way mean to imply that there are any big surprizes. There really arent. Its just that the guys here can put your head in the right place as far as size, H.P.,style, intended use, and the myriad of small (sometimes but not often big) problems that you can encounter. Go in knowing that owning a DONZI isnt a money making deal. Owning a DONZI is like owning ROLEX watch. You will suddenly have friends you never even knew you had. To me thats a whole lot better than a bunch of zeros after a # in your bank account. You will be a part of an extended family. With time you may be the guy giving this same info to another newbie down the road.........Bill S

DonziJon
05-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the Donzi Forum: Mattyboy (A forum member) is in Northern New Jersey. He is VERY Knowledgeable .....Oh Wait..I think he sold his Donzi and has a "TOON" Boat now. He's in Greenwood Lake. :yes: BTW: Don't ever mention Sailboats while in his presence. :smash: John

PS: A "TOON" boat is one of those aluminum pontoon boats, usually with a nice canvas roof to keep the sun off. They are nice for just cruising around with the family and friends.

Your first ride in a Donzi will probably Scare You To Death. That's what attracted me the most. :)

gcarter
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Donzi's have had a reputation for fun, speed, racing, good looks, and a mystique that's pretty unique.
However, they aren't built for durability, or longevity any more than most any other performance boat manufacturer. So here we are today with many of these boats 20 to 40 years old.....some have been well maintained and modernized while otrhers haven't. Many are "restored" which means no more than a paint job and maybe some new upholstery when in reality, it needed the cockpit floor rebuilt, new stringers, transom, and a new fuel tank.
You'll find pricing all over the place with some owners thinking their beat up old Donzi is totally unique, irriplaceable, and priced four or five times its real value.
It's important to learn what to look for. There're certain characteristics of certain models and eras that you need to be aware of.
There're lots of imformation found in the search feature.
Take your time, keep looking. There ought to be some bargains available in these times.

jl1962
05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
1- Get yourself to Lake George in 2 weeks - bum as many rides as you can. Should be 30+ Donzis - see how well you like it.

2- Figure out where you will do the majority of your boating - lake, bay, river, protected water, open water. Size your boat accordingly.

3- Figure out who you will be boating w/ - wife, kids, solo?

4-Take it slow........... :yes:

txtaz
05-31-2009, 07:14 AM
All good advice here. I just want to add that owning a boat (any boat) will cost you money and continue to cost money. Concern about fuel cost will become the least of your worries.

Prepare yourself mentally that you WILL break down. Don't worry, boating people will be there to help out to give you a tow, advice, help etc. Now Donzi people will make you a check list, include references to the best in that area, give your boat a wash on the tow in, feed you, order parts Fedex overnight (or have them in the garage), put you up over night, fix the boat in the morning etc, etc, etc. This is a great group of people to be associated with.

Welcome to our addiction.

Carl C
05-31-2009, 07:43 AM
I would go with an 18 or 22 Classic. These are unique boats with really cool handling characteristics that take time to master. They are not beginner's boats but you should be OK if you take it slow. They take a lot of driver input but to me that is what makes them so fun to drive. You can also get into trouble if you have the trim or tabs set wrong. Once you get some seat time though I think you will have a blast driving it and you will find that it is a very forgiving hull for it's size and speed. I equate it to driving a dirt bike or quad at high speed; It takes total concentration because your running surface is unpredictable but it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Even a big motored 22 is a small boat so gas use will not kill you. I drive mine hard and get about 2 mpg. (not that I've ever really checked!)

mattyboy
05-31-2009, 10:10 AM
everything here that has been said has it basis in fact here are some other not so good facts.

anything from the late 60's to the late 80's that has not been restored is going to need fuel system work no mater what, most likely coring and transom work but maybe not.

classics have no storage
a 16 or 18 is small when the water gets big on the hudson or bay
a 22 is bigger and handles bigger water but not much bigger than a 16 or 18
low freeboard can be an issue

you have to answer theses questions

where will i boat for the most part
will i get a slip or trailer
what to I want out of the boat, speed, crusing, comfort, water sports
who will be with me when i boat

my suggestion is get a boating course in they have them everywhere now
there are many lakes and bodies of water that can be used to get your feet wet so to speak but do it on off hours they are less crowded and less pressure filled early on a week day , launching trailering docking can be real tension conventions especially at a crowded weekend marina

if I can help in any way let me know

Donzi Racer
05-31-2009, 10:40 PM
What has been said here is all good advice but if you are even thinking about a Donzi, God help you when you ride or better yet drive one. I have taken people that have never been in a boat out and they want to know how to find one of these here DONZI's. Whatever you have to do to one, is worth it, it is a Donzi!!! We started in 1967 with our 1st and can you tell, I kind of like them? hmmmm? I would definitey take their advice and go to the Lake George event. That is one I have always wanted to attend but have not yet. They will have such a diverse selection of models and different years, you will have a blast and if you let them know you are new to this, you should get all kinds of rides and maybe even a driving lesson or two. GOD help you then,again. We love the older classics but there is a lot to be said about the mid to late 80's boats. They hold up fantastically. Where else can you find 20 30 even 40 year old models that are still in very good shape. Watch for the ones that have been taken care of and had some of the restoration already done that is required over the years. The big blocks do cost a lot more to keep fuel in them than the smaller engines but when going with a 22 foot boat the big block is the way that most are. The 18 is a good starting point but almost everyone that starts that way is looking for a 22 within a few seasons. In the area where you are the 22 sounds right. Also a 1986 to 1988 Minx is a great boat for what you are looking for. Great rough water boat and almost always a small block engine with better fuel mileage. Your price range is perfect where you can find a good boat and maybe even have a little cushion left over for any neccesary maintenance or repairs. If my car breaks down, I cuss, when my Donzi needs something I know pretty much that will not be giving me any more trouble anytime soon and I am not that concerned. Did I just say that? Well anyway it is an easier justification since I get so much enjoyment out of it. Life is too Damn short not to have as much enjoyment as we can and any of the Donzi's we have had are great for that & one of the best stress relievers I know. And that makes us live longer. YEAH!!! New ad for Donzi Boats, " Donzi-Good for your Health!!!! The main thing is see a few different models before making up your mind. LAKE GEORGE event is just made for what you need to see and experiance before you get serious. Hope to have you in the family soon. It is Great!!! Tom " Just a Racin"

RW2003
06-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Wow! Thanks to all for these great replies. You seem like a great group of folks and with your encouragement I'm going to keep up my quest for a Donzi. I'd love to get into this as a hobby that I can share with my young son as he gets older. I'll try to save some cash in the meantime while I continue to look and learn. Lake George sound like a great event to attend... gotta see if I can schedule it in.

Please keep the great comments coming!

Morgan's Cloud
06-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Donzi's have had a reputation for fun, speed, racing, good looks, and a mystique that's pretty unique.
However, they aren't built for durability, or longevity any more than most any other performance boat manufacturer. So here we are today with many of these boats 20 to 40 years old.....some have been well maintained and modernized while otrhers haven't. Many are "restored" which means no more than a paint job and maybe some new upholstery when in reality, it needed the cockpit floor rebuilt, new stringers, transom, and a new fuel tank.
You'll find pricing all over the place with some owners thinking their beat up old Donzi is totally unique, irriplaceable, and priced four or five times its real value.
It's important to learn what to look for. There're certain characteristics of certain models and eras that you need to be aware of.
There're lots of imformation found in the search feature.
Take your time, keep looking. There ought to be some bargains available in these times.

George never fails to impress me with his candor ! :yes:

Now if I may ......

You said that you had little or no previous water experience and that's important to know .. Admittedly we all have to start somewhere but I adamantly maintain that a boat with a potential top speed of 60mph is NOT a suitable starting point.
At the risk of making a model of my life , I had 25 years of experience under my belt before getting my Donzi . And those boats ranged from rowing dinghies to 1000hp sportfishers and a few go fasts inbetween. The handling and maintenance experience garnered put me in good stead for my own boat, but the Donzi was still in a different class than all of the others.

I guess you get where I'm going here .... :boggled:
Now , flame away ....... :hyper:

bronco
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
my first boat is my 22c. its bbc. bravo 1.only had it in water 3 times.for the first boat i feel comfortable with the handling. i will take boating classes and learn control from an instructor. i am at a time now that cant decide if i should sell to pay bills or keep and struggle with bills. its a great boat and hope i can keep it.i am in new hampshire and am trying to make it to lake george. but will defitnetly be staying here and learning as much as possible.

HOWARD O
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Great advice! I've had quite a few boats, including a 16' Donzi, and have found that the 22' takes some seat time but it's great.

My only advice? When in doubt, hit the throttle and hold on! :nilly: :yes:

Good luck, in the end you won't be sorry.

Donzi Vol
06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Like many of said, they're tricky. I've been around boats all my life (Checkmate, Sea Ray, Four Winns, old fishing boat, big boats, etc.), but there's nothing like a Donzi. They're wonderful boats in that you can do all sorts of fun stuff while running around in them, but you have to be cautious as well. Our good friend BlownCrewCab (Mike) just about didn't sell us his 18' Donzi a couple years ago because of the power that was shoved into his 18 classic that he built. It's easy to get on one of those strakes while too hot on the throttle and about poop your pants! Of course now that I've had some seat time, we're trying to find every ounce of power that a 289 H/M has! hehe

So what I'm getting at is the same as everyone else. Don't go spend a bunch of money just to buy something that is going to scare the crap out of you when you hit the throttle while turning sharp over a big wake (ok, that's a bad combo no matter what). For you I would personally suggest a 22' if you feel like shelling out the cash. I personally prefer the 18', but it's an aquired taste. You'll need to be prepared to get wet now and again.

Keep the questions coming...we're all still learning (even if we won't admit it).

All the best,
David

Donzi Vol
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
My only advice? When in doubt, hit the throttle and hold on! :nilly: :yes:

Haha! I did that a couple weekends ago and my passengers were NOT pleased with me. Oh well, we lived...