PDA

View Full Version : Another ZX down!!

SilverBack
05-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Well...the boat is getting closer and closer to being dialed in but I think that my supercharger has let go too!! I didn't need the bad luck!! I called Mark Boos and the boat is going back in the shop Monday.

It was running better than ever and the new prop was performing perfectly. I never even got it warmed up good and I am pretty sure that the supercharger let go!!

Hedge Hog...call me as soon as you can!!! We need to compare notes!!

The Hedgehog
05-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Well...the boat is getting closer and closer to being dialed in but I think that my supercharger has let go too!! I didn't need the bad luck!! I called Mark Boos and the boat is going back in the shop Monday.

It was running better than ever and the new prop was performing perfectly. I never even got it warmed up good and I am pretty sure that the supercharger let go!!

I will call in a bit. Sorry to hear that.

Last Real Texan
05-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Was second guessing myself on the whole deal of sending mine back for a once over with procharger...well not any more. It is in line in Lexana waiting on a full inspection, I will have them replace the seals at least and hope it is all good, but and not really sure if it will even help. I have heard stories of procharger heads going in for service with nothing wrong only to come back and implode with a fresh bill of health from procharger. Seems the procharger gods are not happy with the big power ZX boys these days:smash:, I guess it may be time to start thinking about the 12 rib conversion for this unit as well and try to get some of the strain of the bearings from the tight belts...It is always something with these blower motors...for all you stockers out there take note , be prepared for the maintenance nightmares that go with big power if you are thinking about ampinng it up a notch:hangum:...so there is a lot to say for stock power..it almost always seems to get you home.

Silverback, sorry for your loss! what exactly happened?

Tex

BigGrizzly
05-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Sorry for this, I though the lower would go first. It may not be as bad as you think. Garry told me yesterday as we are getting it together, he said the blades on the M3 are much nicer but more fragile than the M1. And in no way am I allowed to run without an air filter. Dirt and loose pieces in the engine compartment are deadly. I am in the process looking for a giant M1 style blower. However Power isn't my goal for this engine. If I go for power The engine research is already done. Garry's 900 is bullet proof. There are about 30 of them running around. Last year, We had a 2000 hp viper twin turbo let go because of road debris. Thank god for the inter cooler, stopped the stuff dead in its tracks. Without even looking the owner said " trash the cooler don't even look at it and put a new one on it". Air filter is going to be fun on this one, more pipes then in a pluming factory.

The Hedgehog
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Sorry for this, I though the lower would go first. It may not be as bad as you think. Garry told me yesterday as we are getting it together, he said the blades on the M3 are much nicer but more fragile than the M1. And in no way am I allowed to run without an air filter. Dirt and loose pieces in the engine compartment are deadly. I am in the process looking for a giant M1 style blower. However Power isn't my goal for this engine. If I go for power The engine research is already done. Garry's 900 is bullet proof. There are about 30 of them running around. Last year, We had a 2000 hp viper twin turbo let go because of road debris. Thank god for the inter cooler, stopped the stuff dead in its tracks. Without even looking the owner said " trash the cooler don't even look at it and put a new one on it". Air filter is going to be fun on this one, more pipes then in a pluming factory.

You going in with one of Garry's 900's? That would be HUGE.

We all need to see a pic of your air filter. It if is proprietary then I will be happy to pay you or Garry. Just let me know.

The Hedgehog
05-30-2009, 09:43 AM

Keith, it sounds like you are on top of it. Now go pull the blower outlet tube and check the oil in the unit.

BigGrizzly
05-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I really don't want one of the 900. It pushes a 30 foot Phantom to over 120 in a hurry. You need one and I get a 0% commission, but They let me watch the dyno.:yes::yes: As for the Filter I'll shoot you a picture when it is dialed in. Garry looked at it and said "only you would come up with something that simple". We shall see if it is as good as it is suppose to be and fits with the CMI Elbow tops:) I don't tell all my secrets on the net and you shouldn't tell either. Next your tell about my drive savers.

The Hedgehog
05-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I really don't want one of the 900. It pushes a 30 foot Phantom to over 120 in a hurry. You need one and I get a 0% commission, but They let me watch the dyno.:yes::yes: As for the Filter I'll shoot you a picture when it is dialed in. Garry looked at it and said "only you would come up with something that simple". We shall see if it is as good as it is suppose to be and fits with the CMI Elbow tops:) I don't tell all my secrets on the net and you shouldn't tell either. Next your tell about my drive savers.

So far I really like the drive savers. I will start a whole thread on the soon. They make my XR with 32" prop shift like a cruiser around the dock. I used to grit my teeth when I shifted. Now it is all good. I am putting the other one on the X-18 in a few minutes.

catch 22
05-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Sorry to here this, you guys are SCARING THE S$$T OUT OF ME. How old is the head unit/hours? I called pro charger the other day to ask them about mine, and they told me if it's not broke we don't need to see it. Mine has been on for 41/2 years now. Good luck.

The Hedgehog
05-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Sorry to here this, you guys are SCARING THE S$$T OUT OF ME. How old is the head unit/hours? I called pro charger the other day to ask them about mine, and they told me if it's not broke we don't need to see it. Mine has been on for 41/2 years now. Good luck.

I would send it to them at least by the end of this season. Let's see what they say about the 3 units that we have already sent to them.

MOP
05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
And some wonder why I chose to build a way over built 383 with very moderate HP and then hook it to a Bravo diesel X. Can you read my thoughts "Max durability" I hate when things break mine should out live me!

BigGrizzly
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Hold it MOP, I have 800 hours on a blower motor. the only issues I have had with the unit is trans MY Fault, I jumped to hard, drive, turns out was caused by the trans issue and was original, 208 years old , a starter -original, alternator and solenoid, both caused by starter melt down. BTW the starter engaging at 4000rpms is worth 150 rpms:bonk: The reason am doing the engine now is a preventative measure, and an excuse to clean things up. Plus an economy experiment, at this point I think that it might have been a waste of time and money. we shall see. Tuesday is drop dead date for the engine. If I never see a Nascar rookie engine again it will be too soon.:nilly::nilly: One small NOTE, everyone who has let go has been over 850 hp. and in truth only one of then actually broke. and all did not have air cleaners.

The Hedgehog
05-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Hold it MOP, I have 800 hours on a blower motor. the only issues I have had with the unit is trans MY Fault, I jumped to hard, drive, turns out was caused by the trans issue and was original, 208 years old , a starter -original, alternator and solenoid, both caused by starter melt down. BTW the starter engaging at 4000rpms is worth 150 rpms:bonk: The reason am doing the engine now is a preventative measure, and an excuse to clean things up. Plus an economy experiment, at this point I think that it might have been a waste of time and money. we shall see. Tuesday is drop dead date for the engine. If I never see a Nascar rookie engine again it will be too soon.:nilly::nilly: One small NOTE, everyone who has let go has been over 850 hp. and in truth only one of then actually broke. and all did not have air cleaners.

The filter, we need to see the filter!!!1

BigGrizzly
06-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Easy boy, Tex, called me yesterday, and the usual how you feeling stuff, which he usually doesn't do came the same question and how did it fit with the CMIs, trust me you two will be the first to see it. I have to keep my testers happy. You two have gotten the first of everything so far.