PDA

View Full Version : Lake George ?

Last Real Texan
05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Is there really a 45 mph speed limit up there? and if so do they give the dustoff guys a break for the weekend...kind of like a hall pass for the day?

Tex

mattyboy
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
LRT

yes there is a 45 mph speed limit on the lake and the noise ord. are enforced, usually not a problem for the run as we have alot of older smaller classics

they really don't care about the speed as long as you are not running in reckless manor
the noise bothers the locals more

Last Real Texan
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
LRT

yes there is a 45 mph speed limit on the lake and the noise ord. are enforced, usually not a problem for the run as we have alot of older smaller classics

they really don't care about the speed as long as you are not running in reckless manor
the noise bothers the locals more
Good info..thanks

roadtrip se
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
is not to be the last member of the herd. Worked for me and of course blending in with all of the other red classics did not hurt....

So Tex, are you bringing a Classic to the LG run? Enquiring minds want to know...

glashole
05-29-2009, 01:17 PM
might be able to find some room in the blackhawk if you don't have one by then

Last Real Texan
05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the offer...if it fit the schedule I would come and see what this whole Lake George event is all about...
Was just curious for the future.

tex

mattyboy
05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
LRT,
depending on when and where you are on lake george it depends on how much attention you will get. horror stories are common from people going up there oblivious to the rules and when they launch at a DEC ramp are shocked that they get tested. I also get a kick out of the well in all my years up here in a donzi and i never got stopped why did it happen this year.

well all those years in a SB stock boat this year you are riding around in a 540 BB in "stock" form might have something to do with it ;) .

having our event sanctioned as a regatta and run in cooperation with and the approval of the LGPC and DEC should benefit us. but those benefits won't help outside of the event time frame

remember there are some extremely fast boats up there all of which have some kind of mufflers so if you know you are too loud get a pair of slip ins

the fast boats up there are usually not bothered as long as they are not reckless or being yahoo's

boxy
05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
The trick is to stay behind the Canadian boats.. Kinda like the guy in the Trans Am on I-75, bear bait...

Ya, cause that worked so well last year .... :nilly::nilly:

The Hedgehog
05-29-2009, 02:34 PM

I am trying to get him to sack up and get one.

I am producing a set of "How to blow money" DVD's. It will be kind of like the opposite of Suzie Ormand. He can sneak that in with all of the David Ramsey tapes. I am looking for a speaker right now. I was going to do it myself but figure that a Hedgehog on 15 beers on a Friday night might not have the credibility required.

Tex: Just pulling your chain because Roller Girl is lonely!:smash:

Kirbyvv
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
If they don't hear you, they usually don't bother you. Matty is correct, noise is more of an issue to the lake patrol and residents.

DonziJon
05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
The last time I had the Minx at Lake George a few years ago, ...not part of any organized meet, I had to REGISTER my boat and put a "Visitors Sticker" on the boat...even though I am Registered in my home state.

I think it was around $20. We only spent 3 days on the lake. I think the regisration was valid for A Week and for some reason, I assumed the idea was to discourage outsiders from coming. It was in September and the lake was pretty quiet. John

mattyboy
05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
The last time I had the Minx at Lake George a few years ago, ...not part of any organized meet, I had to REGISTER my boat and put a "Visitors Sticker" on the boat...even though I am Registered in my home state.
I think it was around $20. We only spent 3 days on the lake. I think the regisration was valid for A Week and for some reason, I assumed the idea was to discourage outsiders from coming. It was in September and the lake was pretty quiet. John

the lake is basically a state park well not even really it is a private park the land surrounded it are also part of the park and the comission runs the park. local residents are also required to get a permit to have a boat on the lake so it is not just for visitors it's for everyone that uses the lake the week pass goes for 11 bucks and the season pass is around 25 last time I bought one 2 years ago

DonziJon
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
the lake is basically a state park well not even really it is a private park the land surrounded it are also part of the park and the comission runs the park. local residents are also required to get a permit to have a boat on the lake so it is not just for visitors it's for everyone that uses the lake the week pass goes for 11 bucks and the season pass is around 25 last time I bought one 2 years ago

I noticed a lot of Virgin land on the east side of the lake and the little park camp sites with Little individual docks on the islands. Anything larger than a Classic would challenge a larger boat owner. I think it was about 10 years ago. I launched at a little marina in Bolton's Landing next to the causeway near THE big Ritzy Hotel ( ? ? ) so the Sticker cost was probably rolled into the launch fee.

I remember the marina owned launch ramp was SO Freakin Steep that the bow was in the "V" trailer chock while the rest of the boat is still floating around WELL above the trailer fenders, making it pretty difficult to center the boat on the trailer. One of the dock attendants watched with amusement while I tried to center the boat.. (hauling out). After a few minutes, he produced a special long pole (boathook) to center the boat while I slowly drove the truck foreword winched in to the chock, while the boat settled on the trailer.

Memorys of Lake George. Stayed at Cary's just south of Bolton's Landing. Nice place with fireplaces and a dock suitable for a Classic. :) John

roadtrip se
05-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Lake George is a great place. Kind of an alpine feel to it. The water cops are an issue, but more of a nuisance than anything else. The folks at the hotels and restraunts are some of the friendliest you will ever meet and the water is challenging. Gorgeous place.

Once you go, you will regret not showing up, like I am going to this year.

You are on your own, when riding with the Canadians.

Last Real Texan
05-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Lake George is a great place.

You are on your own, when riding with the Canadians.
worried about being kidnapped and not getting back across the border with out a passport...Everytime I comeback from my trips to Egypt,Turkey,Romania,Switzerland,Belgium,and the Netherlands I am always told when going through customs "Sir can you please follow us over here and explain how you entered and left 6 different countries in 4 days? and you do this every two months, care to explain?"

Getting used to it but it is getting old.

It may be worth the hassle to go to Lake george

mattyboy
05-30-2009, 09:55 AM
sometimes lake george can feel like a different country, especially when it comes to getting pizza and ordering the size pie by the number of slices???

WTF am I instanbull?? but after a ny city boy forgets about italian food it is one of the nicest places to take a break from it all and hop in the boat and run the lake.

the lake has many personalities, the main lake whipped up by a wind out the north can give any big water boater a run for his money that and throw in the wakes of some old steam ships. then you can venture off the main lake and up into the narrows and idle thru campsites and picnics on the many islands and then find the long flat water to let it rip all the way to rogers rock.

you just have to come to grips with some things, like if you are fast that is ok but if you are too loud you could get some unwanted attention. Also the old timer you meet at the dock with his old woody just might wax your tail at 90 mph on his way home to watch judge wapner ;) or you could get stung by the king sting. know where to go and where not to go and you'll be fine.

the Lake is a resource for everyone up there they respect it and just ask you to respect it too and enjoy yourself.

BigGrizzly
05-30-2009, 09:57 AM
May be the fact that you stand out in a crowd is the issue. The fact your a long tall Texan could be an issue. Maybe you need to spend more time with Tripper and Truvell, at least you won't have to look down all the time.:):) Looks like if I am to get the Criterion finished it is going to take an all nighter or two.

Air 22
05-30-2009, 11:55 AM
As one of few who actually grew up on Lake George and went to school there..I can say without hesitation it is one of the most beautiful lakes in the US. A glacier formed lake 32 miles long that actually flows North. It has some of the cleanest, clearest water you will find anywhere except for Tahoe.

The law enforcement on the water can be tough. They have radar guns and decible meter's...as Matty said...don't attract unecessary attention...things go well. I've boated there 42yrs and no problems...:)....

The lake offer's every boating condition one can expect...so be prepared..:smash:.The views are spectacular...Lake George is the "Queen of American Lakes":yes::) and we absolutely love it!:)

BUIZILLA
05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
is that pic from the bluff by your dad's house looking south into the Village?

Air 22
05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
is that pic from the bluff by your dad's house looking south into the Village?

Jim..this shot is taken just North of my Dad's on top of Buck Mountain looking South. My dad's place is on Pilot Knob the very next Mt. to the South...you can see it just to the left of pic...the area under cloud shade and down the South face is his location..:)

boxy
05-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Jim..this shot is taken just North of my Dad's on top of Buck Mountain looking South. My dad's place is on Pilot Knob the very next Mt. to the South...you can see it just to the left of pic...the area under cloud shade and down the South face is his location..:)

Trying to resist...... :D

The Maple Sugar Express is hoping to make another run.