PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering issue?

The X Man
05-27-2009, 08:26 AM
I've got an old volvo cable activated power steering setup on an 18, but am having problems with it. it's a late 70's set up that came with a 280T I bought. When I turn the wheel to the right, the power steering is activated immediately, but when I turn the wheel to the left I have to turn the wheel a ways before the power steering comes on ( it doesn't turn the drive at all until it hits the spot to activate the brazil valve). It does not appear to be slop in the drive, it appears to be in the steering system. It seems like the steering cable has to move quit a bit before it activates the brazil valve when turning left. It makes it tough to keep straight at high speeds when it is rough and you need to make minor adjustments. I'm thinking of pulling it and replacing it with something else, unless there is a fix I can perform. Anyone know anything about these power steering systems?

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 08:49 AM
You mounted the cable too tight it needs to be free floating, been there and done that.

Kirbyvv
05-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I've got a similar issue going on. Are there any adjustments that can be made?

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
If you cable tie too tight it does not allow the valve to move correctly. If you make really tight it will pull and snap back.I will show you in a couple of weeks.

Kirbyvv
05-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Griz, see we needed a way to put you in an engine compartment one way or another.

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 09:30 AM
When I get there I am a director not a worker. Poodle and Cliff keep me out of the bilge, It is too hard to get me out when I get in. At home I go in about 10:am and the wife uses the hoist to pull me out about 5:00 pm:(

zelatore
05-27-2009, 12:16 PM
When I get there I am a director not a worker. Poodle and Cliff keep me out of the bilge, It is too hard to get me out when I get in. At home I go in about 10:am and the wife uses the hoist to pull me out about 5:00 pm:(

I like that plan. Now if I could just recruit one of the neighbor's kids to fetch parts and tools, I could avoid all that PITA crawling in and out of the boat. Think of the increase in productivity!

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Zel, can you say stimulus package $$$$$. A minor set back, your shiny piece will be there Tuesday or Wednesday.