PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of switchable exhaust

Planetwarmer
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
I am just curious. I'm afraid that if I put switchable exhaust on my boat, my wife wont ever allow me to switch it to "loud". Any of you ever have that problem? When do you guys ever use it on "quiet mode"?

gonzojessie
05-27-2009, 04:22 AM
I switch mine when we are pulling up to store or cafe on our lake since there are a lot of people eating outside by the dock, I swith it to be polite to the other people, or when we pull into our slip because at 10 to 11 pm there are a few people that live on sailboats etc, and I know I hate to get knocked out of bed by loud pipes outside my window.

Carl C
05-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I'm paying a lot of money to keep mine working with the new 525. It will only be good at idle. I use it to be able to talk while off plane, idling around the marinas, pulling up to and talking to other boaters whom I've just smoked ;), idling through yacht clubs admiring the big boats and as a courtesy when near law enforcment (off plane). Tell your wife it is only safe to use at idle which is true with a high performance engine or with CMIs.

CHACHI
05-27-2009, 05:49 AM
I use them all the time for reasons already stated.

It is much nicer to start the boat in the boathouse in quiet mode at 6 in the morning.

Ken

Pismo
05-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Best form of muffling, all or none.

Morgan's Cloud
05-27-2009, 07:09 AM
If they all function with the same efficiency as Corsa'a Q & Q + , don't believe for a minute that when you're in the 'quiet' setting it's the same as 'through the prop' !

Otherwise , what gonzoj said !

VetteLT193
05-27-2009, 07:16 AM
I am just curious. I'm afraid that if I put switchable exhaust on my boat, my wife wont ever allow me to switch it to "loud". Any of you ever have that problem? When do you guys ever use it on "quiet mode"?

Just tell the wife it's bad for the boat to be in quiet mode, so you can't do it that often. :eek:

It's a win - win like that, then any time something breaks just blame it on quiet mode. :)

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Actually it is bad for a warmed over engine at higher rpms. My blower motor it is 3200 rpms.

gold-n-rod
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I use it at one of my favorite launch sites because I'm trying to stay in the good graces of the guy who lives directly next to it.

Also, I boat most every Saturday and Sunday am. I keep to the 9 am rule on the lake; closed until 9 and then RRRRROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR! :shocking:

Last Real Texan
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Actually it is bad for a warmed over engine at higher rpms. My blower motor it is 3200 rpms.
+1 for me it is 3000 RPMS

Tex

The Hedgehog
05-27-2009, 08:06 AM
+1 for me it is 3000 RPMS

Tex

My cans are still sitting in storage! Gotta love TN!

SilverBack
05-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I am the oddball here....I have turn down mufflers and regular high performance mufflers. The boat sounds great but is really more quit in the cockpit than a regular through the prop exhaust. I really need to do a video for you guys if I can figure out how to do it. My wife could have and would have hated my boat with almost any other setup. She loves it now and wants to go out in it as much as I do. I would rather have her asking when we are taking it out than hating to go. However some people do like the raspy wide open pipes....each to their own.

DickB
05-27-2009, 09:56 PM
My wife is not a boater (never learned to swim). About the only thing she likes about my boat is the sound through the hull. She says she can always tell when it is me, and not some other boat, pulling in. We are on a cove, so boats are generally heard before they are seen. Through the prop is a nice choice to have for those occasions such as approaching a loon or being respectful of the neighbors. And sneaking up on her and her boyfriend, should that ever be required.