PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Racing - House of Blues

Dr. Dan
05-26-2009, 07:55 AM
:popcorn:Well, I ran the Donzi to New York this weekend to get a real diagnosis on what let loose prior to the weekend at AOTH IX. The official report is: It appears a roller lifter failed (disintegrated) taking out the cam shaft and the timing chain with it. So we are going for a complete disassembly and rebuild.

Won't know 100% what direction I am going until everything is physically inspected. :spongebob: But I am pretty sure we are going with the Bionic Blue Motor - T800 Terminator Model. This one mends itself if anything breaks and no longer requires vast quantities of Cash outlay, instead it is direct wired into your Bank Account and it sucks it dry automatically without any recourse.:doh:

Once I finish my latest addition to the Family - I will get a chance to regroup and make some real decisions as to what I am putting in there. I am planning on keeping it, and I may take advantage of the down time to have the Engine Glass work done and the new full steering added to the King Cobra.

In an ideal world I will keep the HP500EFI and just get it all freshened up so its "Stock" again. But in my world - it could end up being an entirely different story.

So Byron and Charlie were correct in their Parking Lot diagnosis... Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I have a feeling I am about to get taken to school and the bank during this next Phase of my Blue Pill.

Now I understand the true meaning of being a member of the "Mercury Racing House of Blues"

Doc of the New Terminator :lame2:

fasttrucker
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
You should take it to cms in baltimore, let him make it bullet proof.

BigGrizzly
05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Doc follow your heart and your head. I won't recommend a builder because like everybody, I think my people are the best. Now I will not bad mouth oil but synthetic oil some times does this to rollers. However in your case your engine has been together for hundreds of hours and I believe you have always used synthetics. So I will just chalk this up to one of those things that happened.

glashole
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
should have parted it out when you had a chance

roadtrip se
05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Doc and I have used Valvoline Racing "VR Brand" 40W. Good old fashioned dino oil, Grizz. Not synth...

Oh Evil Twin... time to chat bro. Always here to "help" you out...

RickSE
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Doc,

Hadn't someone already been inside your motor before you bought it? If so I wonder what they did??

Sorry about your loss.

BUIZILLA
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
can you email me some lifter and cam pic's?? or send me the hurt parts??

love to see 'em..

did it hurt the block tunnel?

Rootsy
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Hmmmmm.... Doc... You aren't very far from Ray Barton.... Come on.. Give Mr X a run for his money.... Just think... Hemi 22....

VetteLT193
05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
That sucks... although it follows the 200 hour pattern. Seems like 180 hours on a 500 you need to start parts shopping and right at 200 do the top end. :smash:

I wonder if anyone out there has shaved the heads down and put a milder cam in to net the same power on higher octane? that would really save the life of the valve train.

Carl C
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't know about the 500 but the 525 has .610 lift on intake and .632 exhaust. That's a lot of cam! Factor in the constant high rpms these motors see and it's no wonder the valve train is the weak point. I wonder why no 4 valve double overhead cam big block yet. So I should not run synthetic or synthetic blend in the 525?

SilverBack
05-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Doc...I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I really hate that this happened to you!! I have heard that the valve train on the 500 EFI has valve train issues. I think Tex had to go through his lifters and springs. I basically copied his engine in the end and run a 500 efi cam. I used an aftermarket valve train with the same lift and duration and ramp. If you didn't hurt any of the bottom end..you should be able to replace the valvetrain with afteramarket or Mercury Racing stuff and get back going. I Know that when I priced the cam from Mercury it was over 900 bucks. I am way too cheap for that.

Good luck and I am sure that it will all work out!!

BigGrizzly
05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Canooke, you can be a real gashole some times:nilly::nilly:

MDonziM
05-26-2009, 04:45 PM
:popcorn:Well, I ran the Donzi to New York this weekend to get a real diagnosis on what let loose prior to the weekend at AOTH IX. The official report is: It appears a roller lifter failed (disintegrated) taking out the cam shaft and the timing chain with it. So we are going for a complete disassembly and rebuild.

Won't know 100% what direction I am going until everything is physically inspected. :spongebob: But I am pretty sure we are going with the Bionic Blue Motor - T800 Terminator Model. This one mends itself if anything breaks and no longer requires vast quantities of Cash outlay, instead it is direct wired into your Bank Account and it sucks it dry automatically without any recourse.:doh:

Once I finish my latest addition to the Family - I will get a chance to regroup and make some real decisions as to what I am putting in there. I am planning on keeping it, and I may take advantage of the down time to have the Engine Glass work done and the new full steering added to the King Cobra.

In an ideal world I will keep the HP500EFI and just get it all freshened up so its "Stock" again. But in my world - it could end up being an entirely different story.

So Byron and Charlie were correct in their Parking Lot diagnosis... Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I have a feeling I am about to get taken to school and the bank during this next Phase of my Blue Pill.

Now I understand the true meaning of being a member of the "Mercury Racing House of Blues"

Doc of the New Terminator :lame2:

Doc,

Sorry to hear the news. I'm sure you will figure out the best solution. No need to regress from a full roller motor but I've heard solid lifters can be better for high rpm use.(but require adjustment)
Let me know when you come back up this way, my work should be done soon and I could get to Mamaroneck in a flash, or show you around the LI side. - Marshall

Air 22
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Doc and I have used Valvoline Racing "VR Brand" 40W. Good old fashioned dino oil, Grizz. Not synth...
Oh Evil Twin... time to chat bro. Always here to "help" you out...

Save some effort and get Trippers "Shopping list":nilly:...he can always make another one....:smash:

Then again... you could "Run Silent Run Deep" thus causing the Flower Pot to actually grow something besides Daisy's....:)

Doc....we were just getting to "Run" what 10 min on day 1 @ AOTH??..You give me the "lets go" signal...were runn'n 75ish.....and ya blow it:hangum:....geeeezzzus:nilly:

My SEATOW bill is arriving via flatbed...:tongue: Or a nice run in the Pantera we can call it even...:yes:

All kidding aside..that 500 has served you well the last 4 years or so...and you have "Run" it...:)

Knowing you probably better than most....Your new PKG will ROCK and be second to none...:cool: I look fwd to your future prospects..:smash:.:pimp:

roadtrip se
05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
and the season is shaping up quite nicely, I must say...

Some of that nice new-fangled soil that holds water until the plants need it, a little miracle grow for the petunias, and you all should see the tomato starts.

Of course, a good solid foundation is the most important part of a strong flowerpot. The fall harvest will be fantastic, if everything comes in on time.

Dr. Dan
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
:smash: The HP500EFI is outta the Donzi - it's awaiting further decisions by it's Terminator Team. We are pretty sure it's gonna be a little bit more of a "Deeper Shade" of Blue this time around.

Everything is on hold until I get the Pantera home this weekend. One boat at a time. My Staff is working out the details on a complete rebuild. I'm sure whatever I decide, I will lie about it here first! :screwy:

Right after Todd lies about his and Carl C actually attends an Event, and Byron stops rebuilding his every Winter and the Lip****z Boys go slower than 90mph.

I think George Culotta and I are going to start a very exclusive club, the $100,000 Classic Club. I foresee a couple of future members in the wings...
Mr. X - Mick Ong - Roadtrip - etc. it's really not a difficult club to join all ya have to do is run your boat and break it. Pretty simple concept, oh yeah and ya have to actually rebuild or repower it several times to make sure the Break Out Another Thousand - comes in increments of 5's and 10's at a time? :spongebob:

The boat will be down for the 2009 Season - I may have the Glass Work done in the Engine Bay and Transom, and we will look at the entire Drive & Steering Equation. Now's as good a time as any to really step into it.... I mean really get into it.

So I am going take my time, learn my new boat and relax. The Donzi has been a great toy and will continue to be - it deserves the best effort in what today's engineering has to offer.

Whatever direction I do go - I will make sure it's unique and not easily duplicated, I mean with everyone going Blue - wheres the nobility in that anymore. At one time it was unique, today it's becoming yesterdays news all over again. I hate blending in with the masses -

I once told a close friend - if I ever go to change the Drive Out - that is when it's going to get a little nucking futz. So let's see what's on the horizon -

One thing is for sure, with conversations with many of you, and some highly skilled Gear Heads, not the least of which are Mike D'Anniballe, Jack Boyd, Holden Kramer and a few others, it's going to be another adventure.

Stay Tuned for more Episodes of the Mercury Racing - House of Blues.

Doc of Engines Past :angel:

Carl C
05-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Doc, it's good to see that you have not lost your need for speed as you had indicated a while back. I am near that $100,000 Classic club. Easily over $80,000 and counting............

mike o
05-27-2009, 07:47 AM
:smash: The HP500EFI is outta the Donzi - it's awaiting further decisions by it's Terminator Team. We are pretty sure it's gonna be a little bit more of a "Deeper Shade" of Blue this time around.

Everything is on hold until I get the Pantera home this weekend. One boat at a time. My Staff is working out the details on a complete rebuild. I'm sure whatever I decide, I will lie about it here first! :screwy:

Right after Todd lies about his and Carl C actually attends an Event, and Byron stops rebuilding his every Winter and the Lip****z Boys go slower than 90mph.

I think George Culotta and I are going to start a very exclusive club, the $100,000 Classic Club. I foresee a couple of future members in the wings...
Mr. X - Mick Ong - Roadtrip - etc. it's really not a difficult club to join all ya have to do is run your boat and break it. Pretty simple concept, oh yeah and ya have to actually rebuild or repower it several times to make sure the Break Out Another Thousand - comes in increments of 5's and 10's at a time? :spongebob:

The boat will be down for the 2009 Season - I may have the Glass Work done in the Engine Bay and Transom, and we will look at the entire Drive & Steering Equation. Now's as good a time as any to really step into it.... I mean really get into it.

So I am going take my time, learn my new boat and relax. The Donzi has been a great toy and will continue to be - it deserves the best effort in what today's engineering has to offer.

Whatever direction I do go - I will make sure it's unique and not easily duplicated, I mean with everyone going Blue - wheres the nobility in that anymore. At one time it was unique, today it's becoming yesterdays news all over again. I hate blending in with the masses -

I once told a close friend - if I ever go to change the Drive Out - that is when it's going to get a little nucking futz. So let's see what's on the horizon -

One thing is for sure, with conversations with many of you, and some highly skilled Gear Heads, not the least of which are Mike D'Anniballe, Jack Boyd, Holden Kramer and a few others, it's going to be another adventure.

Stay Tuned for more Episodes of the Mercury Racing - House of Blues.

Doc of Engines Past :angel: Im wondering, understanding the dustoff is a classic event only. If there is a special exception with the LG Classic event organizers, for the $100k house of blues members... That when mechanical issues forces $100k members to resort to using a non classic back up UNIT? Of coarse, sorely for the purpose of becoming familiar with and relaxing in...........

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 08:42 AM
TRUST me, DOC has already been offered seats in other boats. If the rules got bent then people will start yelling click and other stuff. Of course if they do Pearson would change the ruls just to shut them up with the yuck fou. You gota love that guy.:yes:

mike o
05-27-2009, 09:13 AM
TRUST me, DOC has already been offered seats in other boats. If the rules got bent then people will start yelling click and other stuff. Of course if they do Pearson would change the ruls just to shut them up with the yuck fou. You gota love that guy.:yes: I totally understand. I have read where non classics donzi owners have been informed the LG dust off is a classic event only. :yes: Really..... only looking foward to seeing the backup somewhere, someday, thats all. It's SWEET.:yes:

HOWARD O
05-27-2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.ilmor.com/marine/710.html

VetteLT193
05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
LGCDC is a classic only club. The dustoff is a Classic only event.

What exactly is a 'classic'

Donziweasel
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Original Donzi models: 16, 18, hornet, minx, gt21, 22, 28..

Critter? Doral? Spitfire? Corsican? 7 meter? 14 baby? F-14? Spirit?

mattyboy
05-27-2009, 06:12 PM
this is in line with what the Lake George Classic Club deems a classic

http://www.donzi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=514

sorry I haven't updated the list with production numbers designers and such but that would be to easy for the people taking the trivia challenge this year it will be updated after the trivia challenge ;)

I thought about bringing the toon but then I came to my senses

BigGrizzly
05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
No suggestions from me If Doc needs help, he knows the numbers, He never does things 1/2 a$$ed

Dr. Dan
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
:popcorn: Thanks for all the suggestions, fact is I support the Classics Only Run , I think it's cool. It's the only Event that is like that, there are plenty of mixed runs in the Donzi Community, no one , least of all me is gonna have another Heart Episode if I can't run with the Classics. Fact is the run itself is not that long and its really a great Event to see all the little Classics running down the Lake.

Lake George has always been very special to me, it's where Eddie got me pumped to come and meet alot of you for the first time, its where I watched and met for the first time Brad and Amy and George and Bonnie... we realized just how slow our boat was as we watched them all ride into the Horizon while running up to Rogers Rock. Now I can say that those 2 couples are closer to me than my own Blood Family - which is another topic altogether.:doh:

But Lake George is special in my heart, the people are great, the friendships are life long and it's just a really good time to renew the stories, watch Scott abuse me or Dwight...or tell stories of the Queens X Way and chopping down trees to make room to weld his broken axle.

The Spring DustOff is sacred in my eyes, the Lake is like from a movie. I will hopefully bring the new ride, and Norm Dascher and I can do our little Pantera thing - I will be happy to give rides. It's all going to be new to me so you're gonna have to cut me some slack. Although a Boat is a Boat, its a single engine non-stepped hull and that is about where the similarity ends.

I am very happy to add to the collection, its never going to replace my 22, and the 22 will never be an entry level offshore hull.

This is a great year for Liz and I, I have been given a 2nd chance at life - I enjoy attending the Events, I enjoy sharing my precious time with all of you. Someday when I do finally cash in whatever chips I have left with in life, the most valueable ones will be the ones I shared in my memories with all of you.

Be Well - Enjoy Each Day

Get Over the Drama in Life - Be Thankful for What You Do Have Today!

And to quote one of my all time favorite friends ( Brad ) "It's All Good" :angel:

Danny the Cardiac Kid :wavey:

tamburello
05-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Well said Doc!:yes:

- Jeff

mike o
05-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey great. Time to start getting in line for a ride. :yes: I guess Maryshannon is #2 (if possible). Maryshannon riding with a Poodle and Sully driving. A kids dream.:hyper::hyper::hyper: .

BigGrizzly
05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Doc, unfortunately, I can relate to this on several levels.

Air 22
05-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Doc..just so u can prepare...there will be "eye's and digital camera's on ur Pantera trailering, ramp, docking, and driving skills:nilly:...score cards will be flashed for each event in the new Pantera...As one of ur closest friends.. someone has to maintain a standard...lol so fear not...we will be watching:smash::nilly:

The only "Slack" that u will be cut is how many rides you can possibly give your new toy..:kingme:

I'm on that list of rides...just before Poodle...:tongue:

Travel safe with that monster...Ur Harley will now have something to pull...:drive:

fasttrucker
05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey, I want a ride too.....
I was told that I would not get a ride.:(All I asked was if the new boat had a porpoise and what pitch the prop was.I told the doc that if he brings the boat here to north east maryland.I would look to see and.................:bonk:
Trucker of unintented sarcasimim+humble apoliges.:toiletpap