PDA

View Full Version : new dash

zelatore
05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
While I was off playing last the last two weekends (and not getting anything done on the Donzi) the parts for my new dash came in.

Went with Livorsi from Harbormaster. 100 mph GPS speedo ('cause I'll need it, right? :wink:), 6000 rpm tach, fuel level, water temp, voltage, oil pressure, fuel pressure, & boost/vacuum + their military toggle switches. The sounder is the unit I had in before, just a generic thing. I'll probably end up replacing it eventually with a Livorsi as well to get a better match. (the hole just to the right of the dash is where the sounder had been before.

I ordered the engine turned stainless as a 24x8 sheet from FPM metals and had my brother cut it on a waterjet at his place. I should have ordered a thicker piece of metal, as it was too flimsy once I put the gauges in it - it wanted to bow when I started clamping them down. It might have pulled back OK once it was in the boat, but instead I took a piece of 1/16" aluminum I had on-hand and made a backer for it. Of course, I didn't realize it would be too flimsy until after I had built it all up, so I ended up taking it all back apart to make a template, cut it, then glue it together with 4200.

I had to cut the dash opening bigger to accommodate the new layout of course, but that wasn't any big deal. At least until I broke a blade on my sazall and scratched the fiberglass right through the painter's tape I had laid out. Not bad...I doubt anybody will notice it except me.

I put the GPS antenna on the centerline under the windshield, and the recall switch over on the right side above the captain's call switch.

And since I had a few scraps left over, I made a small plate out of on of the large cut-outs to mount the key switch and it's circuit breaker to the right of the wheel.

I eliminated the the 12v outlet, though I might bring it back someday.

Eventually, the Stainless Marine mechanical indicators will go right in the curve of the dash to the right of the wheel and I'll move the tab rockers to the horizontal flat above the throttle. It's going to be a PITA to mount the indicators since I'll have to make a curved filler to let them lay flat against the curve of the dash.

Still plenty to do - I haven't installed the senders for the fuel pressure or boost yet, and I haven't tested anything since I haven't got the batteries back in the boat yet either. I also have to have a sign shop make me some labels for the switches. This project took longer than expected (what else is new?) since I basically had to make a second dash out of scrap aluminum, but at least I'm moving forward again!

Hopefully, I'll get it wet next weekend!

gcarter
05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
It looks great Don!:yes:

Have you noticed one company apparently makes all the 2" dash mounted sounders?
You can probably get a new bezel and face from Livorsi and save some money.
I did that on the Minx only it was Gaffig.

Sweet Cheekz
05-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Well done :)

Air 22
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Sweet....nice job:pimp::yes::)

The Hedgehog
05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Really nice. I love the dash.

BigGrizzly
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
I am impressed. You will have another shinny part for the other end of the boat by Friday.

zelatore
05-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks guy!

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention KYDonzi again - he did a similar dash in his 18 that got me thinking about this. There's a pic of his on the board somewhere.

Griz, I'd love it if the prop got here by Thursday. I'm hoping to sneak out of the office early Friday to get a head-start on the weekend's projects. Between breaking and fixing the lawn mower, a bunch of other domestic BS that needed doing, and basically doing the dash twice, I didn't get near as much done on the boat as I wanted to last weekend.

RedDog
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I really like the dark faces on the gauges :)

HOWARD O
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Looks sharp!!! :yes:

CHACHI
05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Don, all wired up?
Looks nice, dropping some coin this year, no?

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Eventually, the Stainless Marine mechanical indicators will go right in the curve of the dash to the right of the wheel and I'll move the tab rockers to the horizontal flat above the throttle. It's going to be a PITA to mount the indicators since I'll have to make a curved filler to let them lay flat against the curve of the dash.

I also have to have a sign shop make me some labels for the switches.

The dash looks great. Instead of fitting the indicators on the curve, have you thought about this type indicator that you could mount on top of the dash. They seem to make an easy line of sight visability, plus they would be an easy install comparatively. http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=10311
I will be interested in seeing what labels you end up getting made. On my Cobra car, I memorized the switches to keep from having to place labels. Just a couple thoughts, Bill

zelatore
05-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Don, all wired up?
Looks nice, dropping some coin this year, no?

Ken

All wired up except the fuel pressure and the boost/vac gauge signal wires. I haven't put the senders in for them yet.

You know, it doesn't seem like I've actually done much, but when I stop to think about it since I got the boat I've installed a new Garmin GPS, a mahogany steering wheel, depth sounder, pop-up cleats, extra 'goal-posts' on the trailer, and the s/s logo on the transom all last year. Then starting last fall/winter I've done Zieger full dual-ram steering, Stainless Marine manifolds, tips, and battery hold-downs, the gauges and dash, pulled the motor for paint and installation of the Procharger, and painted/updated the engine room. Plus I've got the parts for the Stainless Marine mechanical indicators waiting to go in as soon as I get the chance.

Holy Crap! :eek: Looking back at all that it's no wonder my back and my Visa have been in a contest to see which hurts more!

zelatore
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
The dash looks great. Instead of fitting the indicators on the curve, have you thought about this type indicator that you could mount on top of the dash. They seem to make an easy line of sight visability, plus they would be an easy install comparatively. http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=10311
I will be interested in seeing what labels you end up getting made. On my Cobra car, I memorized the switches to keep from having to place labels. Just a couple thoughts, Bill

Thanks Bill, Not exactly up to your standards but it'll do for me.

I looked at those indicators. Certainly easier to install, and maybe even easier to read, but the style doesn't do it for me. Besides, I've got all the gear for the standard stuff sitting in the garage already.

I'm planning to keep the labels pretty basic. Just white text on a black field. I thought about leaving them blank for a clean look but given how bad my memory is I'd probably have to re-learn the switches every time I got in the boat. :bonk:

mrfixxall
05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Zel,you could always have lettering lazer etched in to the panel with the switches..

zelatore
05-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I found a pic of KYDonzi's dash...I had forgot he did black faced gauges as well. Mine certainly looks similar.

Ghost
05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks great. (And your list DOES sound like a lot, don't sell yourself short.)

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Bill, Not exactly up to your standards but it'll do for me.

I looked at those indicators. Certainly easier to install, and maybe even easier to read, but the style doesn't do it for me. Besides, I've got all the gear for the standard stuff sitting in the garage already.

I'm planning to keep the labels pretty basic. Just white text on a black field. I thought about leaving them blank for a clean look but given how bad my memory is I'd probably have to re-learn the switches every time I got in the boat. :bonk:

You must have me confused with someone who is anal about perfection - lol.
Actually, I agree about the rising trim indicators - they look a little funny standing up, but I guess they are easy to read, etc. I have to admit that many times I have turned on the wipers when I meant to turn on the lights in my Cobra , so I know what you mean. Bill

gcarter
05-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Your local sogn company can make and install vinyl lettering for the switches. Pretty reasonable prices too.
They can even put your favorite Donzi logo on the dash also!:)

zelatore
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm all over it George. About 4:00 yesterday I escaped from the office and ran down to a sign shop with some drawings. I should get proofs by email today and hopefully pick up the finished labels Thursday or Friday.