PDA

View Full Version : Magnum 27 Hatch

Staffan Berg
05-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Mario, Aaron (24degrees) and olredalert

I found some "talk" on offshore.com
(are U unfaithful ?)

Mario L wrote "My boat has the same scoops as Lil Smidgen, which are still available today."

Where can I found the nice scoops mounted on the hatch ?

And one question that I have had for 10 years.

In the front area of the deck, there is a small stainless steel hatch on the Magnum 27 Sport.
What is it used for ?

All information is appreciated.

Best Regards

Staffan Berg
05-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Hpe you understand:
I am looking for information about the engine hatch scoops

(Sorry - my first language is swedish)

smidgen too
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM

(are U unfaithful ?)

Mario L wrote "My boat has the same scoops as Lil Smidgen, which are still available today."

In the front area of the deck, there is a small stainless steel hatch on the Magnum 27 Sport.
What is it used for ?

Best Regards
We bought the Li'l SMIDGEN hatches , they were custom made by Wally Harpers patern shop here in the Detroit aera when he owned the SMIDGEN. When this Magnum became the SPIRIT we bought them from that team for our Mag. The hatch on the deck is the anchor locker. I worked for the Seco tool company {Carboloy} here in the U.S.A. for 35 years so I new what you ment.

superhatz
05-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Staffan....are you talking about these hatches? If so, I believe they were added to boats with Volvo speedmasters (e-drives)....they had a higher x-dimension.....Mark am I right?....or maybe just boats that had taller intakes, like on the LT-1......Donzi seemed to do this with some 18s.

:)

superhatz
05-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Staffan....here's a pic of the original anchor that would hang in the front hatch....hallj made one....:)

smidgen too
05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Staffan....are you talking about these hatches? If so, I believe they were added to boats with Volvo speedmasters (e-drives)....they had a higher x-dimension.....Mark am I right?....or maybe just boats that had taller intakes, like on the LT-1......Donzi seemed to do this with some 18s.

Aaron You may be on to somthing, I wasn't thinking of the #1st LI'L SMIDGEN.:bonk:Back then [1973] the hot ad on were tall flame arresters, I dont think they raised the engines up for speedmaster E drives. We can ask Jack Mathes at the reunion at Jacks.:yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2009, 01:18 AM

Aaron You may be on to somthing, I wasn't thinking of the #1st LI'L SMIDGEN.:bonk:Back then [1973] the hot ad on were tall flame arresters, I dont think they raised the engines up for speedmaster E drives. We can ask Jack Mathes at the reunion at Jacks.:yes:

Since we are talking about the 27 engine hatches, could one of you guys tell me what clearance to expect with a BBC with a decent height intake? I was already planning on making them (one for my 27 Magnum and one for the 27 Aero - both missing) higher than the straight across hatches I typically see like Aaron just posted. I just don't know how high I should make them. Any help would be appreciated. I know - I should probably figure out the engine package first and then design them to fit. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2009, 01:25 AM

(are U unfaithful ?)

What is it used for ?

Best Regards

Staffan,
There is a man on this forum who makes scoops - he might be able to help you. I can't remember his handle off the top of my head, but I could probably find it if you want to talk to him. I will not be using the anchor storage or anchor from my 27' Magnum restoration, but you would be better off having one made than shipping the one I have most likely. Aaron's picture with the ruler dimensions is just like mine. Bill

superhatz
05-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Staffan,
There is a man on this forum who makes scoops - he might be able to help you. I can't remember his handle off the top of my head, but I could probably find it if you want to talk to him. I will not be using the anchor storage or anchor from my 27' Magnum restoration, but you would be better off having one made than shipping the one I have most likely. Aaron's picture with the ruler dimensions is just like mine. Bill

Bill....I'd buy your anchor....:)

Morgan's Cloud
05-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey .. look at that ! !

A 27 Sport with a 'traditional' full bow rail ...

superhatz
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey .. look at that ! !
A 27 Sport with a 'traditional' full bow rail ...

I personally love the bow rail look...here's another cool one....

Staffan Berg
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you guys for all your knowledge. (have not heard anything from forrester lately - I miss all your comments)

I will be looking for a scoop for the engine hatch, but I am not in a hurry.

Aaron - I line up in the queue for a copy when U decide to make a photobook of all your Magnum pictures.

Nice photo

smidgen too
05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Since we are talking about the 27 engine hatches, could one of you guys tell me what clearance to expect with a BBC with a decent height intake? I was already planning on making them (one for my 27 Magnum and one for the 27 Aero - both missing) higher than the straight across hatches I typically see like Aaron just posted. I just don't know how high I should make them. Any help would be appreciated. I know - I should probably figure out the engine package first and then design them to fit. Bill
Bill, twin engine big blocks ? I helped make the original Aero engine hatch, it had about a 6" hight. It wasn't the best looking hatch but it gave you the clearance needed. All the stock Aero's had this hatch, on this race boat they added the scopes. The black Aero was the boat that the hatch was originally built for, twin 454 big blocks with a Edelbrock intakes. Clem than used it on most of his 27' Aero's he built.

olredalert
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
------Mark,,,Bills boat is a single. Theres another Aero in a driveway just outside of Richmond on Fred Moore highway that has always been a single BB. Ill try to get over that way sometime soon to see what kind of hatch is on it, as I cant remember right now. Obviously a single wont need as high a hatch as a twin. The owner hasnt moved the boat in the 13 years Ive lived here, but will talk about it if asked. Last thing he told me was that he had the hull blueprinted...........Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Bill, twin engine big blocks ? I helped make the original Aero engine hatch, it had about a 6" hight. It wasn't the best looking hatch but it gave you the clearance needed. All the stock Aero's had this hatch, on this race boat they added the scopes. The black Aero was the boat that the hatch was originally built for, twin 454 big blocks with a Edelbrock intakes. Clem than used it on most of his 27' Aero's he built.

I will have a single in both boats. Highly cool that you helped make the Aero hatch. I was leaning towrds making them rise in the center section to accomodate about 6" or so of extra height. Thanks for the info and pictures. Bill

smidgen too
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I will have a single in both boats. Highly cool that you helped make the Aero hatch. I was leaning towrds making them rise in the center section to accomodate about 6" or so of extra height. Thanks for the info and pictures. Bill
Here is the hatch that Sparky [Vicious Marine ] made, and uses on the Magnums he has worked on.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-27-2009, 12:47 AM
------Mark,,,Bills boat is a single. Theres another Aero in a driveway just outside of Richmond on Fred Moore highway that has always been a single BB. Ill try to get over that way sometime soon to see what kind of hatch is on it, as I cant remember right now. Obviously a single wont need as high a hatch as a twin. The owner hasnt moved the boat in the 13 years Ive lived here, but will talk about it if asked. Last thing he told me was that he had the hull blueprinted...........Bill S

Bill,
I have been wondering how much farther down in the engine compartment a single can be mounted compared to twins. I know there are many factors involved, but it has to be at least 5" - right?

Here is the hatch that Sparky [Vicious Marine ] made, and uses on the Magnums he has worked on.

Thanks for the pictures - that hatch has an angled fore and aft - unlike the Aero hatches - right? I have a slightly different concept in mind which I will try to show soon. Bill

smidgen too
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Bill,
I have been wondering how much farther down in the engine compartment a single can be mounted compared to twins. I know there are many factors involved, but it has to be at least 5" - right?

Thanks for the pictures - that hatch has an angled fore and aft - unlike the Aero hatches - right? I have a slightly different concept in mind which I will try to show soon. Bill
Bill here is one more hatch on a single engine Mag that a friend had many years ago. Many beer cans went into making this hatch. I think it became many beer cans again !!!!

Conquistador_del_mar
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Bill here is one more hatch on a single engine Mag that a friend had many years ago. Many beer cans went into making this hatch. I think it became many beer cans again !!!!

Yep, that is a classic aluminum box look that only a dog catcher could appreciate - lol. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Staffan....here's a pic of the original anchor that would hang in the front hatch....hallj made one....:)

Staffan and Aaron,
Here is the original anchor and SS hatch from my 27 Magnum. The anchor shaft is bent and one of the flukes is a little bent near the tip. Bill

superhatz
05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Staffan and Aaron,
Here is the original anchor and SS hatch from my 27 Magnum. The anchor shaft is bent and one of the flukes is a little bent near the tip. Bill

There ya have it.....I'm excited about an original anchor....I need a life!!!....:nilly: