PDA

View Full Version : Nice Alfa

DonziJon
05-24-2009, 03:32 PM
We were tooling around the VERY Upscale neighborhood of Watch Hill, RI today. ("Cottages" on the coast.) You've all had this happen: You're driving along minding own business and you catch a glimpse of a CAR out of the corner of your eye. :smash:

Time for a U-Turn. Wife says what ARE you doing? The car was parked in front of a European Car repair garage just off the street and had New York plates and inspection sticker.

Alfa Romeo, 8C Competizione. Appropriately....RED Coupe. PERFECT: 20" wheels with humongous disc brakes. Diffuser plates ..or whatever they are called under the rear end..etc etc. I've never seen one of these. I didn't even think Alfas came to this country anymore. It had to be near new.

Very nice highlight to the afternoon ride. :yes: :yes: John

BUIZILLA
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
this should ring a bell.. :lookaroun:

VeloceToday.com » Blog Archive » The Alfa Romeo 8C is Really Here! (http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/1399#more-1399)

DonziJon
05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
this should ring a bell.. :lookaroun:

VeloceToday.com » Blog Archive » The Alfa Romeo 8C is Really Here! (http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/1399#more-1399)

Excellent Buiz: That's The One. SO: How much power....performance..and how much $$$? :lookaroun: John

DonziJon
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Us modern folks have this lil gizmo called a camera you tease you... :yes::boggled::tongue:

YES: I need to be SPANKED :bonk: I usually have my camera with me but who coulda known I woulda veered into something like this. One out of 80 in the US?

The pictures Buiz showed did a better job than I would have been able to do with my camera. The car was nosed up to the garage front door. There were a couple of OTHER nice cars out next to the Alfa........but alas they didn't get my attention. John

BUIZILLA
05-24-2009, 06:45 PM
welp, since you asked..

Auto Design » Blog Archive » ALFA ROMEO 8C COMPETIZIONE ON THE ROAD. (http://autodesign.socialblog.us/2008/11/30/alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-on-the-road/#more-119)

300 KPH ?? :yes:

DonziJon
05-24-2009, 07:10 PM
welp, since you asked..

Auto Design » Blog Archive » ALFA ROMEO 8C COMPETIZIONE ON THE ROAD. (http://autodesign.socialblog.us/2008/11/30/alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-on-the-road/#more-119)

300 KPH ?? :yes:

Thanks again Buiz. EXCELLENT. I read part of your link but I have been SUMMONED upstairs for Family Bonding Now.....Will come back later to read more. :bonk: John.

Lenny
05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry John, but that T33 Stradale outclasses that new car 100 times over.

IMO

BERTRAM BOY
05-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Lenny, how about these?

Lenny
05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
They'll do :yes:

jl1962
05-25-2009, 08:19 AM
+1!!!!!
:)

McGary911
05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I was once about 2 inches from buying a 3 liter GTV6. That thing had the sweetest V6 scream ever. Almost as good as a Dino. Maybe even better. Only reason I didn't get it was that all the switches and stuff seemed really cheap.

Oh, and spyders handle like an F-150.

zelatore
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I was once about 2 inches from buying a 3 liter GTV6. That thing had the sweetest V6 scream ever. Almost as good as a Dino. Maybe even better. Only reason I didn't get it was that all the switches and stuff seemed really cheap.

Oh, and spyders handle like an F-150.

Who built the 3.0 GTV6? The only factory 3.0s were sold in South Africa as a homaligation special. Everybody else got 2.5 V6s, although the Milano (the same chassis) was available with the 3.0, and of course the 164s had it in both 2 and 4 cam versions but they were fwd cars (although the engines were 95% the same and could be installed in the GTV6/Milano with a little work)

I used to race a 2.5 GTV6 a year or three ago. The look was stock except for being lowered, a 3" flowmaster out back, and R-compound rubber on stock wheels. I could drive it to the track and nobody would give it a second glance. After one session wringing it out to about 7500 rpm everybody in the place would wonder over to my pit to see exactly what was going on under the hood. Sounded more like a bike than a car turned up that tight!

Later, both me and my brother build 3.0 GTV6s as street cars. While the 2.5 in my race car was faster, the 3.0s were much better street motors since they made more torque in a usable RPM range.

Sometimes I miss those cars....Nothing since has sounded that good!

(Nothing against a nice V8 rumble, it's just different)

BTW, the Alfa 4s sound pretty good as well. If I do another Alfa, it will be an early step-nose Guilia GT/GTV. Although I'd probably go ahead and do a 2.0 in it.

You know that's what I was saving up some cash for when I got side-tracked by this funny little boat, right?

Speaking of which, I'd better get back out there and get a little more work done on that funny little boat before the sun sets on me....

zelatore
05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
BTW, Ghost, if you're reading this, I'm letting him slide since he brought up memories of my other Alfas. :wink:

Ghost
05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm sorry John, but that T33 Stradale outclasses that new car 100 times over.

IMO

Lenny, how about these?

I'm with you--the old ones sure are better as eye candy if nothing else.

BTW, Ghost, if you're reading this, I'm letting him slide since he brought up memories of my other Alfas. :wink:
Hehe--no sweat, it had crossed my mind, but I let it go too. (Just as I let "Guilia" go, because knew it was a typo and not a misspelling.) :)

...Sometimes I miss those cars....Nothing since has sounded that good!

BTW, the Alfa 4s sound pretty good as well. If I do another Alfa, it will be an early step-nose Guilia GT/GTV. Although I'd probably go ahead and do a 2.0 in it...

Funny you say that. My 2.0 spider sounded great, and distinctive. On Home Improvement (the "Tim the Tool Man" show) once in the early 90s, they had Mario Andretti on and they had him guess three exhaust notes. I about jumped out of my chair when I heard one of them, telling my girlfriend "hey, that's my Alfa!" I don't KNOW whether they used the real thing or not, but on the show, sure enough, that's what they said it was.

BTW, the sheetmetal on the Giulia is gorgeous. It's everything the folks could have hoped for and more when they carved out the 60's-70's BMW's, the Jensen Interceptor, and even the humble Datsun 510. I swear it even has a hint of Jag XJ to the style, like this:

http://lessofjohn.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/1750gtv.jpg

OR, depending on which one you look at (like this modified one below), it maybe even has some Aston-Martin DB4GT in it.

Great looking car. I don't know much more about it than how it looks, but it always LOOKED right to me.

http://www.autozine.org/Classiccar/Car_Photo/Alfa/Giulia_GTV_big.jpg

zelatore
05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Ahem....Giulia. (excuse me while I slink off into a corner)

Of course, I'm pretty much a sucker for any Alfa. I even like the TI. I'd love to do a replica of a TI Super. Believe it or not, it was supposed to be the most aerodynamic of all three Giulia bodies; convertible (Spider), coupe (GT/GTV), and sedan (TI).

As for the GT, I'll take a '69 please. Single headlight/step nose. Lowered. With Panasports (When I'm elected king, I'll issue a proclamation that all vintage Alfas must have Panasports!). In Belgian Yellow please.

BTW, here's a TI for those that don't know what it is. Not a 'beautiful' car, but still a good looking piece IMO.

justleft
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
There's a black 8c on EBay for $ 120,000 (reserve not met)

zelatore
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
There's a black 8c on EBay for $ 120,000 (reserve not met)

If that were for an original 8C, it would be a smokin' deal!

The original '30s 8C2900s are (were....not sure about today's economy) well north of a million.

"One drives, of course, an Alfa Romeo; one is driven in a Rolls-Royce, but one gives only a Delage to one’s favorite mistress" -Peter Ustinov

Lenny
05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I always liked these.

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Alfa%20Romeo/69-Alfa_GTA_DV_08_AI_01.jpg

BUIZILLA
05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
a guy I used to work with in a speed shop, used to race that exact style car.. circa 71-72ish

DonziJon
05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm enjoying all this Alfa Talk....Brings back memorys. .I'm remembering ...or Tryin to remember........DISCO VOLANTE. Can't remember if that was an Alfa... or WHEN...Lookin for a Historian here to refresh my memory. :lookaroun: John

BUIZILLA
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/550/Alfa-Romeo-C52-Disco-Volante-Spider_4.jpg (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic.php?imagenum=5&carnum=550)

DonziJon
05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/550/Alfa-Romeo-C52-Disco-Volante-Spider_4.jpg (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic.php?imagenum=5&carnum=550)

I seem to remember the Dico was HOT in it's day. The picture doesn't ring a bell. SO: When was this? Are we talkin the same Disco Volante I'm thinkin about. It's tough getting old. :bonk: Need more info. John

zelatore
05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Let's see if I remember my Alfa history correctly

(it's been a while since I played with Alfas...)

I believe there were 3 Discos built. A coupe and two spiders. Space frame cars with one-off chassis and body work, but basically 1900 series running gear/suspension. Early 50's.

I tend to get the Disco's confused with the BAT cars. Also three built, but I think all in private hands. Mid 50's, also based on the 1900 series. I remember several yeas ago it was a big deal with Fantasy Junction here in NorCal had all three together and for sale as a package.

Personally, I think the tipo 33 Stradale was the ultimate road-going Alfa, but let's face it, you're only going to see one of those in the factory museum or Pebble.

The BAT cars-

zelatore
05-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I always liked these.

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Alfa%20Romeo/69-Alfa_GTA_DV_08_AI_01.jpg

yessssss.....that's what I want! Right there!

I drove and raced a GTV6. Decent car, and fun. Far more direct than anything new like my current BMW, even if the BMW will run circles around it in most case.

I also had a ton of Alfetta coupes/GTs/GTVs. Basically the predicessor to the GTV6 with the classic Alfa 2.0. Mid to late 70's (technically, I still own a few of these - they're rotting somewhere in Kentucky). Although not nearly as fast as the GTV6, these cars felt more nimble and direct due to less weight on the front end and made fair ITB cars. (GTV6s ran in ITS)

But if the Alfetta felt more direct than the GTV6, the early Giulia GTs/GTVs (predecessors to the Alfettas) like the one above just closed the door on the Alfetta in terms of sheer fun-to-drive. Of course, they're far more collectible and expensive, but still a guy with a little jing in his pocket could afford one compared to a Ferrari or similar. And you pretty much have to get into the 6-figure price range to find anything else that looks this good...:yes:

McGary911
05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Who built the 3.0 GTV6? The only factory 3.0s were sold in South Africa as a homaligation special. Everybody else got 2.5 V6s, although the Milano (the same chassis) was available with the 3.0, and of course the 164s had it in both 2 and 4 cam versions but they were fwd cars (although the engines were 95% the same and could be installed in the GTV6/Milano with a little work)

I used to race a 2.5 GTV6 a year or three ago. The look was stock except for being lowered, a 3" flowmaster out back, and R-compound rubber on stock wheels. I could drive it to the track and nobody would give it a second glance. After one session wringing it out to about 7500 rpm everybody in the place would wonder over to my pit to see exactly what was going on under the hood. Sounded more like a bike than a car turned up that tight!

Later, both me and my brother build 3.0 GTV6s as street cars. While the 2.5 in my race car was faster, the 3.0s were much better street motors since they made more torque in a usable RPM range.

Sometimes I miss those cars....Nothing since has sounded that good!

BTW, the Alfa 4s sound pretty good as well. If I do another Alfa, it will be an early step-nose Guilia GT/GTV. Although I'd probably go ahead and do a 2.0 in it.

You know that's what I was saving up some cash for when I got side-tracked by this funny little boat, right?

Speaking of which, I'd better get back out there and get a little more work done on that funny little boat before the sun sets on me....

Zel. It must have been a 2.5 then. It was a loooong time ago. :bonk: