PDA

View Full Version : Where are your FAVORITE Bar-B-que spots

Lenny
05-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Read that, where y'all, wherever you live, have you had an awesome BBQ experience (as in food) that was worthy of mention if "others" were travelling through your State and needed to get hooked up ?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/22/barbecue.quest/index.html

Very curious and I will bookmark them in my 'berry. )

Obviously Texas has their share, but there is no way I could even name one... :(

Help, :nilly: planning a November "freakshow" affair again :D :yes:

gcarter
05-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Lockhart, Texas, just south of Austin, is the home of the oldest, continuously operating Barbeque joint in Texas, maybe in the country. It started just after the turn of the 20th century and has had only about four owners.
I'ts actually smoked meat as their smoker is about 40' long with a open pit in the floor burning post oak, then through the closed grill part which is brick and about 4' high and then is exhausted through a roof mounted exhaust fan.
My family has been going there since the '40's while my grandfather lived in Lockhart. Some of my earliest memories were going to Kreuz's (pronounced "Krites"- like kites) although now it under a different name.
Kreuz's started life as a meat market, and still was the last time I was there. Sometime after opening they started smoking meat....beef roasts and their own pork sausage.
It was never really a restaurant, they would cut and slice some meat for you at the counter, and serve it on butcher paper with crackers or bread. In the old days, there were butcher knives chained to long benches where people would sit and eat.
Some time in the '70's they took over the storefront next door and expanded into it. Now it's a bit more like a restaurant as you can buy beer and soda, jalapino peppers, and a few other things to go with your barbeque. There really nothing else like it.

Here in Florida, there's Sonny's...and they're everywhere.
Also here in Lake County, Florida there's a small chain called "Red Oak Grill" or something like that. They have a total of four stores and people are always lined up to get in, so I would assume it's good.

gcarter
05-24-2009, 05:49 AM
I guess I should have read your CNN article first......
I just hate CNN, or "Comunist News Network"

Well, at least they spoke the truth as far as Kreuz Market goes.

roadtrip se
05-24-2009, 09:54 AM
My backyard. I'll put my dry rub ribs up against anybody's!

Oh, you mean, somebody else does the cooking? Railhead in Fort Worth.

Jraysray
05-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Lockhart, Texas, just south of Austin, is the home of the oldest, continually operating Barbeque joint in Texas, maybe in the country. It started just after the turn of the 20th century and has had only about four owners.
I'ts actually smoked meat as their smoker is about 40' long with a open pit in the floor burning post oak, then through the closed grill part which is brick and about 4' high and then is exhausted through a roof mounted exhaust fan.
My family has been going there since the '40's while my grandfather lived in Lockhart. Some of my earliest memories were going to Kreuz's (pronounced "Krites"- like kites) although now it under a different name.
Kreuz's started life as a meat market, and still was the last time I was there. Sometime after opening they started smoking meat....beef roasts and their own pork sausage.
It was never really a restaurant, they would cut and slice some meat for you at the counter, and serve it on butcher paper with crackers or bread. In the old days, there were butcher knives chained to long benches where people would sit and eat.
Some time in the '70's they took over the storefront next door and expanded into it. Now it's a bit more like a restaurant as you can buy beer and soda, jalapino peppers, and a few other things to go with your barbeque. There really nothing else like it.

Here in Florida, there's Sonny's...and they're everywhere.
Also here in Lake County, Florida there's a small chain called "Red Oak Grill" or something like that. They have a total of four stores and people are always lined up to get in, so I would assume it's good.

George,
please post a directional link to this place. I would like to stop in there when we head out to Lake Travis in a couple of day's.

McGary911
05-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Yep. Here in Jacksonville, you have Sonny's, Bono's, and Woody's. You want the best, you go go Mojo's. There's 2 of them. Brisket is the best ever.

Donzi Vol
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
If you ever get to upper East Tennessee, you've gotta get to Ridgewood BBQ. It's been there since the '70's and it is amazing. It's in Elizabethton, TN on the way to Bristol. It is a regular stop for many of the Nascar drivers on their way up to the track. There are also pictures of many sports starts and celebrities who have dined there. Their BBQ pork comes from sliced hams rather than pulled butts. They use a thick brown sauce, and it is amazing. I haven't had the brisket, but I hear it's great as well. Oh, and if you like bleu cheese dressing, you can get it by the bowl full along with saltine crackers. You'll have to call me for directions, though. Real hard to find...and those are the best places :wink:

Mr X
05-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Picture says it all.

gcarter
05-25-2009, 08:29 PM
George,
please post a directional link to this place. I would like to stop in there when we head out to Lake Travis in a couple of day's.

Google;
Smitty's Market
208 S Commerce St,
Lockhart, TX‎ - (512) 398-9344‎

It's an experience!:yes:
The reason for the name change is the two brothers that own it had a difference of opinion, as I understand it.

BUIZILLA
05-25-2009, 08:34 PM
If you ever get to upper East Tennessee, you've gotta get to Ridgewood BBQ. It's been there since the '70's and it is amazing. It's in Elizabethton, TN on the way to Bristol. It is a regular stop for many of the Nascar drivers on their way up to the track. There are also pictures of many sports starts and celebrities who have dined there. Their BBQ pork comes from sliced hams rather than pulled butts. They use a thick brown sauce, and it is amazing. I haven't had the brisket, but I hear it's great as well. Oh, and if you like bleu cheese dressing, you can get it by the bowl full along with saltine crackers. You'll have to call me for directions, though. Real hard to find...and those are the best places :wink: when I was doing my own Bristol event for several years we used them for catering 2 years in a row.... really outstanding stuff.. one of our friends moved to Eton and opened an Italian/pizza joint there... Eton is also home to Tri City Plating, the BEST chrome place in the east country for car parts.. :yes: Eton also has a humongous car cruise night on Saturday's, tons of cars from all over the mountains come for over 100-150 miles just for this event each week. I've seen more nice cars here in Eton than the largest Super Chevy turnout at the speedway... :convertib:

CJmike
05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Salt Lick BBQ just outside Austin Texas is one of the best on the planet.

Also Carls Perfect Pig outside Nashville and LC's BBQ in Kansas City.

All tasty joints that I would make it a point to stop at. But the Salt Lick is by far my favorite and the standard I hold all other BBQ places too.

BUIZILLA
05-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Moonlite BBQ Inn

Owensboro, KY

home of world famous Mutton BBQ

Lenny
05-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Picture says it all.

Hilarious T. :yes:

Donzi Vol
05-25-2009, 10:23 PM
when I was doing my own Bristol event for several years we used them for catering 2 years in a row.... really outstanding stuff.. one of our friends moved to Eton and opened an Italian/pizza joint there... Eton is also home to Tri City Plating, the BEST chrome place in the east country for car parts.. :yes: Eton also has a humongous car cruise night on Saturday's, tons of cars from all over the mountains come for over 100-150 miles just for this event each week. I've seen more nice cars here in Eton than the largest Super Chevy turnout at the speedway... :convertib:

Cool stuff! What's the name of the Italian place? Is it still in the area?

The Hedgehog
05-26-2009, 08:17 AM
I have heard about Ridgeway and want to try it.

Texas? I hear that they tout it there. I am surprised that they did not have Dreamland in Tuscaloosa. It is usually a top 5er. Down in the central Alabama they have Barbeque stands on the corner. Those folks are serious. In Memphis during Memphis in May is not bad either.

One of the things I like about being in the South is that it is everywhere. I lived in southern Indiana for a while and had to look hard to find good Q. I am back in Tn now and it is readily available. I could always use more. I think that I only had some good Q three times in the last week.

I have been known to produce some pretty good ribs on my grill but I am probably not in the realm of CJ Mike or SE. I have not tried CJ Mike's but would imagine that anyone that fires up the grill in the middle of a Minnesota winter has got to be good.

RedDog
05-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Hands down, the Rendezvous in Memphis has the best ribs in the country
http://www.hogsfly.com/TheRestaurant.php

The staff is also something else - Donzi Deb ordered lamb chops on our first visit; the waiter said "No, you're havin' ribs"

http://www.hogsfly.com/images/photos/pho_staff.gif

The Hedgehog
05-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Hands down, the Rendezvous in Memphis has the best ribs in the country
http://www.hogsfly.com/TheRestaurant.php
The staff is also something else - Donzi Deb ordered lamb chops on our first visit; the waiter said "No, you're havin' ribs"
http://www.hogsfly.com/images/photos/pho_staff.gif

Some don't like it because it has a big name. I think that their ribs are awesome.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Some don't like it because it has a big name. I think that their ribs are awesome.

I grew up in Memphis (1960 to 1971) and was always hearing about the Rendezvous. When I tried it out a couple times, I was a little disappointed - maybe bad nights for them?
I have had some of my best Bar-B-Que from little roadside outlets here in Texas - you never know what you might get, but some of the guys have some unreal meats, sauces, and sides. Bill

Ghost
05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Anyone got a favorite vinegary North Carolina pork BBQ? Bullock's in Durham is the big touristy one I know of. It's good, but there must be tons of great places out there that are better. I like Bob's at the Butner/Creedmoor exit on I-85, but that may be just a childhood bias. Best I've ever had is just when my uncle cooked a pig for 36 hours or so, and did everything himself. I'm all ears if anyone has places they like.

Mike

Team Jefe
05-26-2009, 11:13 AM
OK, Trip may heve the best Que in Mitchitucky, but for TX....I say its a toss up....

North of I-10 - a little Spot in PlainView that a certain Farmer owns.

South of I-1-0 - Casa Del Jefe...yeah it sounds Mexican, but it has some great Que, awesome Cajun influence with seafoods and other nibblin'...and a proprietor who basically opens his home to you...Very cool, kinda like a Bed and Breakfast meets Frat house.....Don't miss it. Their saying is: " We'll treat you so many different ways, you're bound to like some of them".:lookaroun:

p729lws
05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Loved Rendezvous in Memphis... Marlowes around the corner from Graceland was even better...

Loved the I.B. Forum in Dago ...

In T-town it's Dreamland...

Try Brickpit if you find yourself in Mobile, AL...

See King Rivers at King's BBQ in Pensacola (take out only)

Sonny's is great for a chain restaurant...

We just got a Famous Dave's. Anyone tried them yet?

If you want a cedar smoked cajun rib roast meet me in the backyard Saturday...

Dan

Ghost
05-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Loved Rendezvous in Memphis... Marlowes around the corner from Graceland was even better...

Dan

We've had a Famous Dave's for some years. Been twice, and didn't write home about it. Nice to be able to get SOMETHING close by, but just ok IMO.

Barry Eller
05-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Anyone got a favorite vinegary North Carolina pork BBQ?

I was born in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina. I have my own NC BBQ Sauce, but we have a good NC style, with vinegar cole slaw too, here in Gulf Breeze.

They have a family style to go deal with 1 lb of pulled pork that I order and use my sauce on. I only do this when I don't have time to smoke my own pork.

It's called Billy Bob's Beach Barbecue. http://www.billybobsbarbecue.com/

Barry Eller
05-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Dan

Dan, you forgot the "Blue Dot" for Rib Sandwiches http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Blue_Dot_Barbecue

CJmike
05-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Little Brisket and pulled pork I did this last weekend.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/CJMikeK/IMGP1729.jpg

CJmike
05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Famous Daves started up here. Dave is a real BBQ guru. He loves the stuff. I imagine when he is doing the cooking its really great stuff. His resturants are good. It is a place to go get consitant food. Consider the amount of places he has open and they are all good is an accomplishment in and of itself. Certainly not the place you will walk away from thinking you had the best BBQ in your life but certianly won't feel like you just got cheated.

Bubba Dog
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Anyone got a favorite vinegary North Carolina pork BBQ? Bullock's in Durham is the big touristy one I know of. It's good, but there must be tons of great places out there that are better. I like Bob's at the Butner/Creedmoor exit on I-85, but that may be just a childhood bias. Best I've ever had is just when my uncle cooked a pig for 36 hours or so, and did everything himself. I'm all ears if anyone has places they like.

Mike

Hey Ghost, If you like our pork BBQ, try Smithfield Chicken N BBQ, originated in Smithfield,NC, better than Bob's in my opinion. Bob's is exit 191, SCNB is at exit 213. I haven't tried this yet, but SCNB has a web site and ships it all over the country. Bubba

Ghost
05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey Ghost, If you like our pork BBQ, try Smithfield Chicken N BBQ, originated in Smithfield,NC, better than Bob's in my opinion. Bob's is exit 191, SCNB is at exit 213. I haven't tried this yet, but SCNB has a web site and ships it all over the country. Bubba

Dude, thanks!! I'm gonna give them a shot. -Mike

p729lws
05-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Dan, you forgot the "Blue Dot" for Rib Sandwiches http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Blue_Dot_Barbecue
Barry, is that the place in the hood w/ no bar and no wait staff? Maybe I'll bribe the secretary to making a run...

Paradise has the blues band that makes a batch of gumbo during their set on friday and saturday. might be fun.

p729lws
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Famous Daves started up here. Dave is a real BBQ guru. He loves the stuff. I imagine when he is doing the cooking its really great stuff. His resturants are good. It is a place to go get consitant food. Consider the amount of places he has open and they are all good is an accomplishment in and of itself. Certainly not the place you will walk away from thinking you had the best BBQ in your life but certianly won't feel like you just got cheated.

We had a Smokey Bones that closed down and Dave's moved in. I'm sure we'll give it a try. We have a Shane's Rib Shack here in Gulf Breeze that's pretty good also. I think it's a small chain....

Dan

p729lws
05-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Little Brisket and pulled pork I did this last weekend.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/CJMikeK/IMGP1729.jpg

Mike, Nice set up on the egg w/ a temp sensor for the product and another for the grill. Is anyone else using the wireless temp sensors?

Dan

Jraysray
05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
There is this little old Columbian woman that lives next to me. Hands down the best brisket ever. I have made her promise that she would step me through it with her FROM THE START!

That means me cleaning the smoker and all. I have watched her before and it’s a 10 hour process easy. Wax on Wax off....... Will make sauce to meat to potatoes salad and RICE...... rice? yes rice.... gawd its good.

I wonder if this would be cheating......

I'm going to go knock on her door and ask for some.. No chit its 10:19 PM. Good thing she likes me.

Jraysray
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Check it out! She gave me Brisket, Beans, Potatoe salad, Cole slaw, Sauce no rice but did add so Jalapeno Cheese Roles....... 10:44 PM to boot.

She was watching some judge this/that shows. Guess I will have to mow the lawn for her! Like I’m 12 once more!

Ghost
05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Check it out! She gave me Brisket, Beans, Potatoe salad, Cole slaw, Sauce no rice but did add so Jalapeno Cheese Roles....... 10:44 PM to boot.

She was watching some judge this/that shows. Guess I will have to mow the lawn for her! Like I’m 12 once more!

1. You lucky dog.
2. No fair posting that at midnight snack hour.

Barry Eller
05-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Barry, is that the place in the hood w/ no bar and no wait staff? Maybe I'll bribe the secretary to making a run...
Paradise has the blues band that makes a batch of gumbo during their set on friday and saturday. might be fun.

Yep, The Blue Dot is in the "Hood". That is why he closes early.

The "Sauce Boss", Bill Wharton, is good. I heard him at the Flora-Bama a few years back. I have a "Margartaville Late Night Cafe" CD that he sings 2 songs on. "Let the Big Dog Eat", and "I've got a Great Big Fanny". Good stuff.

Could be fun, Denise asked last night if I wanted to go.