PDA

View Full Version : Slave solenoid.......

CHACHI
05-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Splashed the boat, went to start it, when I turned the key to the start position a clicking sound seemed to come from the port side top of the engine.

Cycling the key to the start position the starter finally caught.

I tried a few more time, same process and finally the starter caught.

After 3-4 times of this excersise over a 20 minute period, it now does nothing when I turn to key to start it.

Is this a typical symptom of the slave solenoid?

If so, where should I be looking for it?

Thanks,

Ken

Cuda
05-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Splashed the boat, went to start it, when I turned the key to the start position a clicking sound seemed to come from the port side top of the engine.

Cycling the key to the start position the starter finally caught.

I tried a few more time, same process and finally the starter caught.

After 3-4 times of this excersise over a 20 minute period, it now does nothing when I turn to key to start it.

Is this a typical symptom of the slave solenoid?

If so, where should I be looking for it?

Thanks,

Ken

Bad connection, probably a ground. No telling where, get out a multitester and start at the engine ground.

BigGrizzly
05-24-2009, 08:35 AM
It is usually a solenoid or connection if the starter does no turn over ie move. However On the Corsican Once long long time ago the bad starter was an issue, just like that.

DonziJon
05-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I had this problem with the Minx a couple of years ago. I went through the WHOLE DRILL with removing ALL the connections one by one and using a wire brush and sandpaper to clean them up.. Still no go. No problem. I bought a NEW slave solenoid and put it in. Still nothing. I spent all day in the stinkin sun (90*+) under an umbrella "diddling" with it.

In frustration, I put the OLD solenoid back in. Bada Bing. It worked, and the OLD solenoid is STILL working fine a few years later. :bonk:

This Slave Solenoid is up on the right front of the 350 under a little cardboard cover. There's another bigger solenoid on top of the starter. John

CHACHI
05-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Poodle wins, loose wire connection on the slave solenoid.

Ken

Pismo
05-25-2009, 04:28 PM
One or the other solenoid. Make sure you get the right one. Many solenoids are ground thru post, many are ground thru mounting bracket. You need to figure out which you have and match it. The guy at the parts store will stare at you like you are speaking Mandarin when you try to explain this to him. They vary a great deal. My Merc 228 with a Chevy 305 motor we found had a Ford ground thru bracket solenoid which was in none of the merc parts charts. I went thru several until I learned all this.