PDA

View Full Version : How Hot is Hot?

Jraysray
05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Outdrive serviced and impeller replaced, thermostat replaced 160*. Lots of water flowing through exhaust but on the hose its creeping ~200*. I never let it run past that so I am not sure if it gets higher.

Got a small v8 and alpha. I started seeing temps get high after running hard last summer and would back off.

Question is- What should be the norm and high running temp? On average it usually ran around ~180*.

Air 22
05-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Outdrive serviced and impeller replaced, thermostat replaced 160*. Lots of water flowing through exhaust but on the hose its creeping ~200*. I never let it run past that so I am not sure if it gets higher.

Got a small v8 and alpha. I started seeing temps get high after running hard last summer and would back off.

Question is- What should be the norm and high running temp? On average it usually ran around ~180*.

If ya havn't done so already...Try removing the lower block freeze plugs(lowest drains on eng... port and starboard)...make sure water flows out...if not use a toothpick or something similar to break loose the debris so water can flow out. This is a common problem area where sediment, sand etc sits eventually clogging things up.

mrfixxall
05-23-2009, 06:40 PM

should be around a 140 in their,check the sensor,may be mis reading..do you have a raytech gun? cpmpare the readings with a ratrech gun to your guage.

yout temp should be around 165 hott!

Jraysray
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
If ya havn't done so already...Try removing the lower block freeze plugs(lowest drains on eng... port and starboard)...make sure water flows out...if not use a toothpick or something similar to break loose the debris so water can flow out. This is a common problem area where sediment, sand etc sits eventually clogging things up.

So pulling a freeze plug would be tough and replacing it would be rougher. Think there is crap floating around? Is there common collection points for trash in the system that I could check?

165* hot oh man......

Air 22
05-23-2009, 09:37 PM
So pulling a freeze plug would be tough and replacing it would be rougher. Think there is crap floating around? Is there common collection points for trash in the system that I could check?

165* hot oh man......

The lower drain plugs come out with a socket...5/16 or something..can't remember the size...once removed they thread back in:)...you can also replace with a plastic wingnut and o-ring and snug it up hand tight...easy:smash:

BlownCrewCab
05-23-2009, 09:43 PM
The freeze plugs come out with a socket...5/16 or something..can't remember the size...once removed they thread back in:)...you can also replace with a plastic wingnut and o-ring and snug it up hand tight...easy:smash:

allot of merc motors come with petcocks screwed in these locations, just loosen it and let it dribble out. Thats where I got my water pressure reading on mine.

PaulO
05-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Before you do anything, put it in the water and run it. Lots of stories of overheating on the hose only. I had one that did that and was always fine in the water.
PaulO

CHACHI
05-24-2009, 04:47 AM
It is a block drain, not a freeze plug.

You are correct freeze plugs would be tough to change.

Looks like a radiator drain petcock.

Ken

DonziJon
05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
The term Freeze Plug is I think a mis-nomer. The so called Freeze Plug is the inch and a half or so diameter DISC found in the sides of the block in a couple of places on each side.

The hole is intentionally cast in the block to allow access to the "gallerys" in the block, and is later "plugged" with the Disc. These are leftover from the Sand Casting operation during manufacture and have nothing to do with freezing...although they may pop out if the block freezes, they do not protect against freezing damage. John

Air 22
05-24-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.iboats.com/Sierra_18_4226_Drain_Plug/dm/cart_id.477848085--session_id.827994935--view_id.222375

Jraysray
05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Ok, drained the block via the petcock valve both sides. Still hot! Engine started to smoke and got up to 210. I reved it to 3000 and it dropped to 180 and bounced aroud. This really stinks. Need help. Water pump?

Air 22
05-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok, drained the block via the petcock valve both sides. Still hot! Engine started to smoke and got up to 210. I reved it to 3000 and it dropped to 180 and bounced aroud. This really stinks. Need help. Water pump?

how is your hose water psi? make sure its wide open...

you could try backflushing the engine...disconnect water hoses at the oil cooler and @ t-stat left side of housing..put garden hose in and flush to see if anything possibly comes back out...ie old impeller chunks etc...

If that doesnt work..try putting boat in the water to rule out hose psi problems? If she still run's hot in the lake then maybe u have a bad t-stat or ur impeller went bad on you and isn't pulling enough water. Ck all hose connections for leaks especially the water supply lines from the outdrive to impeller. If ur sure that is all good then maybe its the circulation pump(water pump) failing:boggled:..someone here should be able to assist further...:smash:

Cuda
05-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm guessing you don't have enough water volume at the hose.

Jraysray
05-25-2009, 02:55 AM
I dunked it at the ramp and the temp ran steady just below 180* so I feel better about that. I know that might seem high but it is what I am used to seeing except during winter when the water is cooler.

I am still getting smoke on the forward end of the engine. I cannot find a leak and I cannot figure out where the smoke is coming from. No real smell and its not steam so im puzzled.

Maybe something on the block burning off? should I let it run to see if it stops? The belts are good and no strange noise that I can hear while running. What should I be looking for?

MOP
05-25-2009, 08:29 AM
I see you do some salt running, I would be checking the risers. You seem to have water getting Ok but maybe not be getting enough water out due to rust flakes in the passages.

Phil