PDA

View Full Version : 26zx speed?

gero1
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
just wondering what the real speed numbers are for a 26zx with a 496ho 425hp vr the 502 mag. both are stock

Trueser
05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Depends on how many Donzi chicks you have along.

farmer tx
05-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Fifty:boat:

gero1
05-22-2009, 06:42 AM
shirly it will go faster than fiffy. some one on this board has one of these boats!!

MOP
05-22-2009, 06:53 AM
You need to talk with Frank!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=218013

gero1
05-22-2009, 06:54 AM
they are both twin step bottoms

BUIZILLA
05-22-2009, 06:58 AM
that's what she said... :nilly:

VetteLT193
05-22-2009, 07:32 AM
shirly it will go faster than fiffy. some one on this board has one of these boats!!

It will go faster than 50 with you behind the wheel for sure :)

This review: http://www.goboatingamerica.com/boattests/DM_article.asp?id=2620

says 55 MPH with the stock 496. The HO will obviously be faster...

MOP
05-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I have only driven a couple of step hulls but from my experience the steps increase speed quite a bit, I had driven one buddies non step Cruiser Inc a few years. Last year I drove the basically same boat same power with the step, speed was up and the ride seemed better. The owner of the newer boat said don't whale it in turns it can get crazy! From hearing and reading about how they can do 180's in a heart beat, it would seem that there needs to be some sort of skeg or better yet a tunneled section added aft. Several people have thrown their passengers around or out doing fast turns!

BigGrizzly
05-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Bryan Truvell had one with a labbed prop, don't remember the speed.

MOP
05-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I comes down to the engine how well it will run, you could always do a "Hedge" job on it!

The Hedgehog
05-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I comes down to the engine how well it will run, you could always do a "Hedge" job on it!

You guys can dig up Tuvell if you want and he probably can tell you what it does with a 502 mag and different props or you can go the "Hedge" job.:pimp:

My boat had a 454 Mag before I started my project. It ran to 55 right off the bat and would creep up to north of 60 if you sat around and let it run. Under powered step hulls do that.

A 502 mag will get you to mid 60's nicely. For stock(ish) combos, I would go with a worked over 500EFI (maybe beefed up to around 600 hp). You can also do the same with a 502 mag but it is not quite as pretty. That will get you to a respectable 75+ and do it right. The boat runs 72 with a stock 500EFI.

I have seen some great deals on these. I saw a clean one go for around 30k with full hydraulic steering

Last Real Texan
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Here we go with the step hull trash talking again....YOU have to learn to drive it yes...but for gero1 coming from a black hawk boat this will be a piece of cake....just don't trim in down in the turns and all is well.I have made some pretty tight sweeping turns at over 75 and had no problems at all, just trim it right....or watch your ass end come around quick!:smash:

Step hulls rock! and are typically 5 mph faster on the same model step vs no step...

Go the 26-28ZX single route and never look back!

Tex

The Hedgehog
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
The dark side of the force is calling gero!:pimp: Join the big single fray and get talked about like us.

The funny thing is that after AOTH, Tex and I kept talking about how much we liked your boat. I am good on boats right now, but I think that Tex's head has been spinning.

SilverBack
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
My boat is not a 26 ZX it is a 25 ZX with no steps but it did 65 stock with a 502 Mag and a Bravo 1 and a Mirage plus. I don't think that there was much difference between the step and non step ZX with stock power. I don't even think the 27 ZR is too much faster than 65 with a 496 HO from people that I have talked to. I think that a shorty and a labbed prop would make up the difference between all of them. I think that I would play with that stuff before getting into the engine. Once the you start down the road to the Dark side there is no turning back!!!:hangum:

roadtrip se
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
to make a 26 rock. Period.

Tuvell's was a 69 mph boat with a 502. It could make that number in any conditions offshore on the Chesapeake, BUT I would think it would be incredibly dull on a KY/TN lake.

500EFI boat. I split a pair of 500s with a 26ZX guy. He claimed 74mph out of the box. Now, we are starting to talk.

Magic number would be 80+, and that means you are going to be shopping power, sooner or later.

Not going there on the step versus flat bottom boats, as I've done both.

gero1
05-22-2009, 11:13 PM
too young to grow up and too old to go slow.......26 formula or 26 zx???? any way u look at it the bh will be posted for sale by sunday i kinda hear the dark side calling

Lenny
05-22-2009, 11:47 PM
What is with everyone wanting to go "bigger" ???

The 16's and 18's 22's, basically THE CLASSICS, is how we all got here.
Do we need a NEW Forum ??? ... for the bigger step Boys ???

:D

Donziweasel
05-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Lenny, members, and thier backs, are aging and having families......:bonk:

Germandonzi26
05-23-2009, 03:42 PM
In what unit expects her?
Nautical miles or miles (Street)

Our maximum speed is:
62 Knot
69 Miles
114 km/h
GPS testet (one person, low fuel and no beer on bord)

496Ho, Bravo1 1:50 Gear ratio and 4-blade Bravo 26Pitch Prop.

But we want more.
Next jear: 502 with Whipple :cool!: maybe 650 - 700 HP

The Hedgehog
05-23-2009, 07:52 PM
In what unit expects her?
Nautical miles or miles (Street)

Our maximum speed is:
62 Knot
69 Miles
114 km/h
GPS testet (one person, low fuel and no beer on bord)

496Ho, Bravo1 1:50 Gear ratio and 4-blade Bravo 26Pitch Prop.

But we want more.
Next jear: 502 with Whipple :cool!: maybe 650 - 700 HP

That is what I like to hear!:rock::germany:

SilverBack
05-24-2009, 08:05 AM
to make a 26 rock. Period.
Tuvell's was a 69 mph boat with a 502. It could make that number in any conditions offshore on the Chesapeake, BUT I would think it would be incredibly dull on a KY/TN lake.
500EFI boat. I split a pair of 500s with a 26ZX guy. He claimed 74mph out of the box. Now, we are starting to talk.
Magic number would be 80+, and that means you are going to be shopping power, sooner or later.
Not going there on the step versus flat bottom boats, as I've done both.
What are your thoughts on step versus non step?? Did you have the same basic boat with and without?? Have you ridden in a 27 ZR? With the same power how do you think it compared to a 26 ZX??

BigGrizzly
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, it depends on the size. According to a designer and late VP of Donzi and several others I have talked to below 25 feet it is a waste. Doug Valentine told me that the 38 ZE was the first step he liked. he said IT handled like a straight V hull but with the high speed straight handling speed of the step. Now there is a fact that steps hook. Parnell told me at Cumberland that he did not like steps. I have driven both the step and non step in the same size 24 foot range with larger power and prefer the non step for handling. Bear in mind that there are as many different step designs as there are boat manufacturers, so a direct comparison is impossible. It is true that they are getting better and smaller steps too.

roadtrip se
05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
but please, do not fire up the flame guns...

I owned three stepped, Fountain boats, a 27, and two 32's. I have also spend a significant amount of time in stepped Donzi 26 and 28 ZX's, and a little time in the 38 Comp.

First, the Fountains. These boats were very efficient. Biggest indicator? Chop the throttles and these boats took forever to slow down and settle to the water. Secondly, I liked the way they carried the nose. Great boats that could take a lot of power.

Second, the stepped Donzis. They tend to ride with a lot more hull in the water, to the point of being a wet ride in the slop, especially on the 38 Comp. Obviously, the Comp benefits from the steps in performance. The early Comp looks a lot like a 38 Fountain on the bottom, which I always got a chuckle from. The 26 and 28 are HEAVY boats. Great rough water boats, but I doubt the steps really do much, because I have yet to feel one truly air out. Best running 28 I have been on? Trueser's Scorpion. These things need power to wake up. I have no experience with the 27ZR.

Okay. Flame away...

As for the 16-18 versus 22 classics, I am just too dam big for the small boats. I would rather load up a 22 with power, and not worry about getting thrown out as much. I do love them all and having had an example of each now, the Scorpion 18 was a riot, I'll take a 22 any day...

Finally, I think there is room for everybody here. And many lessons to be learned. A lot of the stuff that I have tried on the 22, and will continue to try as I go into the next re-rig, are from things I tried as a big boat guy and continue to learn from watching the big boat guys. And if you really want to unleash a bag of fun, we could start talking about the tricks the Cig and Stuphen boys use, the results of which were quite impressive to watch this year at AOTH. Any way, performance is performance. If I want slow, I'll go launch the Formula.

BigGrizzly
05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
After Cumberland in the rough, I still think I made the right choice for the nasty stuff with the Corsican, it was a blast. I made most of the log jams like a slalom course couldn't do it with the Criterion, nor would I want to.

roadtrip se
05-24-2009, 09:48 AM
38ZRC wet???

Sit in the middle next time...

LKSD
05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
on the 26zx boats Real world speeds about 63-66 gps on the 502 or 496 mag hos out of the box. The 454 mags were about 59-61mph. If you do exhaust work & some propping another 2-3mph may sometimes be gained. They do still handle well with big power. Been there done that.. Jamie / Lakeside

Last Real Texan
05-26-2009, 08:15 AM
but please, do not fire up the flame guns...

I owned three stepped, Fountain boats, a 27, and two 32's. I have also spend a significant amount of time in stepped Donzi 26 and 28 ZX's, and a little time in the 38 Comp.

First, the Fountains. These boats were very efficient. Biggest indicator? Chop the throttles and these boats took forever to slow down and settle to the water. Secondly, I liked the way they carried the nose. Great boats that could take a lot of power.

Second, the stepped Donzis. They tend to ride with a lot more hull in the water, to the point of being a wet ride in the slop, especially on the 38 Comp. Obviously, the Comp benefits from the steps in performance. The early Comp looks a lot like a 38 Fountain on the bottom, which I always got a chuckle from. The 26 and 28 are HEAVY boats. Great rough water boats, but I doubt the steps really do much, because I have yet to feel one truly air out. Best running 28 I have been on? Trueser's Scorpion. These things need power to wake up. I have no experience with the 27ZR.

Okay. Flame away...

As for the 16-18 versus 22 classics, I am just too dam big for the small boats. I would rather load up a 22 with power, and not worry about getting thrown out as much. I do love them all and having had an example of each now, the Scorpion 18 was a riot, I'll take a 22 any day...

Finally, I think there is room for everybody here. And many lessons to be learned. A lot of the stuff that I have tried on the 22, and will continue to try as I go into the next re-rig, are from things I tried as a big boat guy and continue to learn from watching the big boat guys. And if you really want to unleash a bag of fun, we could start talking about the tricks the Cig and Stuphen boys use, the results of which were quite impressive to watch this year at AOTH. Any way, performance is performance. If I want slow, I'll go launch the Formula.
Next year get a ride on Hedges 26 and feel the rush of being shot out of a cannon.....it will blow your mind how quick that thing gets to 90...

Tex

SilverBack
05-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Next year get a ride on Hedges 26 and feel the rush of being shot out of a cannon.....it will blow your mind how quick that thing gets to 90...

Tex

What do you mean 90??? It will be running up to 105 next year at AOTH!!

Trueser
05-26-2009, 04:28 PM
What is with everyone wanting to go "bigger" ???

The 16's and 18's 22's, basically THE CLASSICS, is how we all got here.
Do we need a NEW Forum ??? ... for the bigger step Boys ???

:D

LOL

I heard of a few more ship jumpers recently. I think a ZX section would be a great addition.

roadtrip se
05-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Tex

Saw it run on the way to Lee's Ford and I believe it.

Pretty solid 502 in that there boat.....

SilverBack
05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Saw it run on the way to Lee's Ford and I believe it.

Pretty solid 502 in that there boat.....

Todd..not to be too picky but he has a really fun 540 CI engine in that thing!!

micahmiles
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
My stock 2000 26ZX with 502 HO power runs 67-69 on GPS in fresh water on light lake chop. I believe the stepped hull does like a little chop better than sticky flat water. The 26ZX is a great heavy boat for the lake. Mine is for sale (with only 83 hours), as I've recently moved up to a 33ZX Daytona. My 26ZX pics are here.... http://thedonzi.com

gero1
05-28-2009, 10:36 AM
glad you joined, i am sure some one on here knows all about your 33. see you at 4 today to check out the 26

The Hedgehog
05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
glad you joined, i am sure some one on here knows all about your 33. see you at 4 today to check out the 26

Maybe you can get one in time for the 09 ZX roundup!

Other Donzi's will be welcome there of course.