PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Floor

rbarna
05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Seems the floor under the bow in the minx is banging up and down while underway. How is it supposed to be secured?

Thanks!

-Ross

VetteLT193
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Seems the floor under the bow in the minx is banging up and down while underway. How is it supposed to be secured?

Thanks!

-Ross

You talking about the coffin box that you shove your junk into and never find it again?

rbarna
05-20-2009, 05:17 PM
yep, the coffin box.

gcarter
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
There is a 2 X 4 layed across the stringers under the locker. Then the locker was tabbed to the stringers. But none of it rigid. Perhaps you could stuff some rather rigid foam under the locker and on top of the 2 X 4.

VetteLT193
05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
The worst part of the job is getting in there.

Make sure a friend helps you out. I tend to lean on heavy duty spray cleaner before applying anything sticky that is hidden... Like brake cleaner. then do what gcarter said. foam the sucker on.

If you are claustrophobic: forgettaboutit.

rbarna
05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
is removing it an option?

tamburello
05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
I have the same thing going on in my 18. Any idea what the fix is on a 1994 18 classic, is it similar to the Minx?

- Jeff

Donzi Racer
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM
is removing it an option?

You are killing me down here taking about removing parts off that beautiful Minx. I remember that was apart when they replaced the gas tank. Foam should do the trick. You are thin enough to get up there. Just be sure to have someone there to pull your ankles to get you out of there. ha ha Tom

gcarter
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I thought about this some more last night.....unlike 22's, which has a foot box that the ski locker is a part of, the Minx has a separate ski locker. It is attached to the tub w/some long #6, or so, screws and nuts just to hold it in place, then it was tabbed on to the tub before the deck was lowered into place.
It may be that someone has crawled into the locker w/o supporting their weight and broken the tabs and pulled out the screws.
If this is the case, it could easily be removed by crawling up in there with a right angle grinder, the appropriate screw and nut drivers, and cutting it loose. I think you'll have to rotate it 90* longitudinally before pushing it into the cockpit.
Oh yeah, remove the seats first!