PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel and Hub

rbarna
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
My steering wheel is rusted on with rusty bolts. Can't get them off.

There's a larger nylock nut in the center of the wheel that appears to hold the hub together.

Should I just take that off and get a new hub?

What type of hub is required?

Thanks!

-Ross

VetteLT193
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
My steering wheel is rusted on with rusty bolts. Can't get them off.

There's a larger nylock nut in the center of the wheel that appears to hold the hub together.

Should I just take that off and get a new hub?

What type of hub is required?

Thanks!

-Ross

Yes, pull the whole wheel with the hub. Mine needed to be pulled with a steering wheel puller, didn't take much but it wasn't coming off by hand.

The hub is a 3/4" tapered shaft hub (if I remember correctly). many steering wheels come with a hub, I shoot for one that has it to skip some complications with bolt patterns.

The Uflex ones come with the hub many times, but not all the time... like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SILVER-SPARGI-STEERING-WHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el111 6QQhashZitem3596606ffdQQitemZ230156169213QQptZBoat Q5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

There are higher end hubs too, depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Tidbart
05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Take off the nyloc nut, use puller to remove hub and wheel together. Get new wheel and new hub. Reinstall.
My new wheel came with a hub.
B

mike o
05-19-2009, 03:38 PM
The paint is starting to come of my steering wheel HUB. Can I get a new one for this wheel or should I try to paint it (aluminum)?

Tidbart
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
The paint is starting to come of my steering wheel HUB. Can I get
a new one for this wheel or should I try to paint it (aluminum)?

Wire brush it, mask it, prime it, paint it. I did it that way on the 18. Looked great!

gcarter
05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Many new wheels come w/a black plastic hub. W/o going to extremes, they solve a lot of problems.
I have bought more than one MOMO wheel (maybe listed at a low price in an unpopular color) on eBay just to get the hardware that came w/it.

MOP
05-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Has the boat seen much salt water? Also how much play is in the helm? I have worked on salt stuff most of my life, if #1 is yes and #2 some save your self a ton of work and cut the shaft behind the wheel with a hack or saws all and replace wheel & Helm.

Phil

gcarter
05-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Has the boat seen much salt water? Also how much play is in the helm? I have worked on salt stuff most of my life, if #1 is yes and #2 some save your self a ton of work and cut the shaft behind the wheel with a hack or saws all and replace wheel & Helm.

Phil
Don't you think he should try to pull it first Phil?
Besides, the SST helm shaft wouldn't be easy to cut.

mike o
05-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Wire brush it, mask it, prime it, paint it. I did it that way on the 18. Looked great!10-4.:yes:

MOP
05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Don't you think he should try to pull it first Phil?
Besides, the SST helm shaft wouldn't be easy to cut.

George if it was or is a salt boat and that is the "original" wheel then he can do what I say "last" after the puller either breaks the puller or pulls the hubs threads out. I had a firm practice in place at my shop, my guys when changing a cable the first time would also remove the wheel and coat the the shaft with OMC Triple Guard grease install a new nut and torque it. Though every manual you pick up states doing it that way NON come from the manufacturers that way, after a few years in salt they are near welded to the shaft. The Minx's are all 20+ old!

VetteLT193
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
George if it was or is a salt boat and that is the "original" wheel then he can do what I say "last" after the puller either breaks the puller or pulls the hubs threads out. I had a firm practice in place at my shop, my guys when changing a cable the first time would also remove the wheel and coat the the shaft with OMC Triple Guard grease install a new nut and torque it. Though every manual you pick up states doing it that way NON come from the manufacturers that way, after a few years in salt they are near welded to the shaft. The Minx's are all 20+ old!

My original wheel popped off with just a slight pull with the puller. Salt used and abused, hence the re-build.