PDA

View Full Version : Water in bilge for boat that lives in the water

rbarna
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
My boat is going to live in the water for a few months. It's got an inch or two of water in it.

Is this OK?

If it rains, this will increase and the bilge will run.

Should I be pumping out 100% of the water? How?

Thanks!

-Ross

VetteLT193
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
It is impossible to get all the water out.

But, if I left my boat in the water I'd add a 2nd pump that was farther aft. The placement of the one in my Minx is so far forward the water is as you describe... you can get more out if you have the pump placed better. It's also a nice idea to have one pump attached to one battery and a 2nd pump attached to the 2nd battery. A whole lot safer that way being redundant.

I'm thinking about adding the 2nd pump anyway, even though the boat stays on the trailer most of the time.

Morgan's Cloud
05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
You're a little bit unclear here ... If it rains , it accumulates a bit more... no problem there . But are you saying that it is actually coming in somewhere else ?

Like vette said , no matter what , you're never going to be able to get it all out ... Unless you dry you bilge before putting it to bed like I do ... :bonk:

rbarna
05-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Only comes in from rain. Boat is watertight at the waterline :)

Morgan's Cloud
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Can you re-waterproof your cover ? I just did it for mine ...

Between that and no leaks anywhere else you ought to be able to keep a dry bilge all season !

rbarna
05-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Well my engine hatch drains into the bilge... guess I need to plug those holes and put a drain hole and plumb it out the transom?

VetteLT193
05-19-2009, 02:00 PM
MOP has a method to plumb the water out and into the bilge drain line. PM him, he's always helpful.

MOP
05-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Well my engine hatch drains into the bilge... guess I need to plug those holes and put a drain hole and plumb it out the transom?

The darn hatch will sink your boat it is a rain catcher, one rain storm while I was up at 1K it rained so hard both of my bilge pumps came on and that was with a good cockpit cover. What I did for a few years was to use painters masking tape the blue stuff, but that got old and if you forget you drown the boat. If you PM me an email address I will send you a couple of photos of how I added drains, also I will give a tip or two of how not to screw up like I did!!!

Phil