PDA

View Full Version : GT21 from Germany

axelkloehn
05-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Hi guys,

I live in Hamburg/Germany and just registered in this forum because I have bought a GT 21 hull from german ebay for 1500,-- :) which needs to be restored.
It looks like someone wanted to convert it into a family-boat with a huge sleeping area and cockpit-door... oh my.... :mad:

From the rear cutout I guess it had a jetdrive- can anybody tell me what year it might be and what engine-drive-combo it had originally?

I don't find any hull-nr., where is it located?

I want to put a Bravo 1 or Alpha 2 with a 350 GM, that makes sense instead of a jetdrive, or..? How fast might it be, I guess more than 55 mph is unrealistic...

Thanks for your help,

cheers, Axel :germany:

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi Axel , and welcome aboard from another member who's not part of the continental U.S. and has one of the 'odd ones' :tongue:

You have your work cut out there .. no doubt about it , but it can be done.
As I was once told .. 'fibreglass is infinitely repairable'.

Once the others see this post they'll be able to give you more accurate info as to the possible year of your boat , but if it was built after 1970 the number should be in the stbd side of the transom under the rub rail area.
If it was before 1970 , lord knows if you'll ever find one . With the condition of what you now have , I'd guess that it probably was on the transom but may have been filled in and painted over ... Considering the work you have to do , you might consider getting out some sandpaper and rubbing down that area and see if a number starts to appear under the layers of paint.

I'm not too familiar with transom cutouts for jet drives , but that hole looks huge .. is there the corresponding hole in the bottom of the hull about 2 feet infront of the transom ?

Many years ago John Chisholm , the then owner of Donzi , told me a story about a jet powered GT21 that they had built but it's unlikely that that is the same boat ... but then , ya never know , it's a small world !

Considering the side of the world you're on , I'd drop a Volvo package in it and seriously consider the DP unit !
I just put one in mine and it is a completely different (and civilised) boat now.
You're going to need a minimum of 300 hp at the prop though, to keep you a little bit happy in my opinion.

We love big restorations around here so don't be shy :biggrin.:

Steve

axelkloehn
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes,
it has the corresponding hole in the bottom of the hull about 2 feet in front of the transom.
Hope to find out more about that wild thing soon and how it made its way over the big lake... :)

cheers. Axel :germany:

gold-n-rod
05-14-2009, 08:18 AM
It looks like someone wanted to convert it into a family-boat with a huge sleeping area and cockpit-door... oh my.... :mad:

Hey Carl, it looks like Axel has found one of your old boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bonk:

:wink:

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey Carl, it looks like Axel has found one of your old boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bonk:
:wink:

:shocking:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

MOP
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
The hole in the transom looks more like it is for an OMC stringer drive, keep us posted on how it comes together and yes most of all good luck and enjoy!

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Initially that was my first thought too , but again , that hole is too big for the ole OMC if you ask me . That's why I double checked with the hole in the bottom for the water pickup.

Axel ..... Is that white paint on top of blue or blue paint on top of white ?

axelkloehn
05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
...the mint blue is the original color (hull mint, deck white with mint stripe). It was completely painted over in white (with a brush or roll... :bonk:).

Sure I'll keep you guys informed about the restoration... :)

Axel :germany:

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
See pictures from post #6 onwards.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39950&highlight=GT21

Have a search around here for other GT21 photos. They are really beautiful classics .

Shredhed
05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I just boaght a GT! I thought I had my work cut out for me! I'll post pictures after long weekend! Good luck Axel!!

mattyboy
05-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Axel,

nice boat the original color would be barbados blue, Germany is becoming a Donzi hot bed I recieved a few emails from a guy over there who just restored an 18 not real sure where he is in germany but maybe you guys can get a gathering together i'll see if i have his info If you have any questions fire away :)

Matty Veth
LGDCC

I guess i have some family over there in Europe making motors for thrusters on some big boats ;) I should look them up

http://www.veth-motoren.com/images/file/Veth-Jet%20Brochure%20English.pdf

axelkloehn
05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
...yes,

give me some info about this guy with the 18" in germany, our country is not so big- and he needs some water to ride his 18", so it should be in my area.

Does anyone know what jetdrive was installed in a GT21? It looks as if it was originally installed on mine, no later conversion... Really want to find out the original powertrain, I've never seen a GT21 with jet.

Can't find any hull-nr., even after sanding the location where it should be. Does this mean my GT21 is built before 1970?

Axel :germany:

mattyboy
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
a berkley jet i would think

the stamped HIN came about in Nov of 1972

check under the deck up by the bow eye also on the backside of the dash written in black marker

matty

mattyboy
05-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Axel

send me an email and I will send the info I have on the 18 to you

mnmveth@optonline.net