PDA

View Full Version : Jumping boat wakes....

gcarter
05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I found this on that newer "Other Site".
It's pretty self explanatory.
Just pay particular attention to how fast this example happened.
I don't push any envelope, but I know there're folks here that enjoy it. I'm not suggesting you stop, just be very careful.
Please!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

chappy
05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for posting George.

Amazing footage.:eek:

Very lucky.

Just in case anyone is on the fence as to spending the four plus minutes watching the video, it's worth it.

mattyboy
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
a perfect example of brains and balls too much of one and not of the other

Lenny
05-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Considering how "lofty" that hull is/was it is of no surprise. In flat water it was all but flying. With a 10 degree deadrise this should have been somewhat expected imo...

Looking at the slow mo footage I think a helmet would have been nice as it looks like he hit his head on the MERC.

MOP
05-12-2009, 04:39 PM
It looked like he was not even wearing a life vest, that is not the way you cross a wake. Almost guaranteed disaster! A lot of the bass boat I have seen are over powered to begin with, then in the hands of a fool and you get a perfect video!

Lenny
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
He was unconcious in the water Phil for 10 minutes. Face up. Lived to tell about it. The life vest is what saved him as well as the kill switch lanyard.

mattyboy
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
He was unconcious in the water Phil for 10 minutes. Face up. Lived to tell about it. The life vest is what saved him as well as the kill switch lanyard.

I can't see that with his video boat so close it should have not taken 10 minutes to get him out of the water.

yes the vest and lanyard saved him from himself. look at the last flyby before the accident it was chine walking and it looks like he was working the wheel pretty well as he passes the video boat , plus the channel looks real tight at first i thought he was gonna hit a marker. Looks like he hit his head on the dash first then the side of the boat and he was out cold looked real limp when he went overboard

justleft
05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I used to run 20' Hydrostream pad bottom. He knew how to fly it on smooth water.

But ya knew that there was going to be trouble, every pass the lake was more choppy and the wind was picking up.
In the second to last pass you could see he was all over the place. Should have said enough.

He is lucky to be alive !! Looked like he did a major head plant right before being ejected.

DONZI
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
From cheers to horror !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQs9tloTzTM

McGary911
05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Why would anyone jump a wake in a bass boat? They're made for the flattest of flat......

Lenny
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
On the other video, I have to wonder, when a guy can run an 18 (or whatever) in 2's that are superimposed on larger/longer swells at 60 why does someone blow back a hull on a 2' footer and a 30+ foot boat ???

This was not offshore... second video from DONZI

...just glad I was not on it or knew the helmsman.

???

mattyboy
05-12-2009, 09:28 PM
On the other video, I have to wonder, when a guy can run an 18 (or whatever) in 2's that are superimposed on larger/longer swells at 60 why does someone blow back a hull on a 2' footer and a 30+ foot boat ???

This was not offshore... second video from DONZI

...just glad I was not on it or knew the helmsman.

???

I would imagine it was more like a 3 footer and the water would have been very confused with all the wakes of other boats running by, tripped the transom probably caught a k plane and rolled

looks like a longer lighter azz end heavy low free board boat compared to the others that went by the formula, senza? and older hustler and the baja looked to be going slower and did catch that much air

is the capt of each video boat responsible for the damage caused by his wake??? or does the other capt's responsibility to pilot his boat at a speed safe for the conditions??

Lenny
05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
is the capt of each video boat responsible for the damage caused by his wake??? or does the other capt's responsibility to pilot his boat at a speed safe for the conditions??

Not here Matty, stupid or outclassed is just that. Everyone has a right to be on the water, and run/perform within any guidelines present, but some idiots are just attracted to the nectar. CAN not US...

ZERO liability on the Yachtsman driving his boat. We have ski's masturbating behind EVERY large wake here always. Nothing to do with the large boat Owner.

Ranman
05-12-2009, 11:11 PM
...is the capt of each video boat responsible for the damage caused by his wake??? or does the other capt's responsibility to pilot his boat at a speed safe for the conditions??

I see this question asked over and over all over the place and people's misunderstanding of the rule is quite broad. The important thing to remember is that a skipper is only responsible for the damage his wake causes IF the damage is caused by his NEGLIGENCE.

For example, if you and your buddy beach your boats on a nice small island directly across from a main shipping channel and a big cruiser going up that main channel throws a 6' wake that comes ashore and smashes your boats together causing damage, the skipper of the cruiser is NOT responsible for the damage. He is operating on essentially a highway. It's reasonable to expect that boats with wakes will travel up the channel and that those boats beached across from that channel will experience wakes washing ashore and therefore should take appropriate measures to avoid possible wake damage.

Now if that same skipper in the cruiser fails to slow down for a no wake zone and his 6' wash smashes some boats and docks, he becomes responsible due to his negligent operation in a no wake zone.