PDA

View Full Version : I hope someone else has done this

chappy
05-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Have any other board members removed the deck vents around the hatch area to clean and put a coat of wax on underneath?

I was doing this the other day when I was told that I;

1) am insane.

and/or

2) have entirely too much free time on my hands.

I kinda brushed off the criticism and said it's just something I enjoy.:)

I hope some other members have done this, or I am going to really have to re-evaluate my place in the universe.:boggled:

VetteLT193
05-12-2009, 07:43 AM
there are times it's easier to remove stuff than get wax around everything... although on the boat I like to leave stuff attached because of water intrusion into the deck, etc.

MOP
05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree take them off, but remember this trick which when re-screwing them back on!!!! First with LIGHT pressure turn it backwards you will feel it jump into the existing threads then screw it in, doing that will keep you from damaging the threads in the glass. With self tapping screws you literally crush the material aside as you screw in, so if you do not use the original threads you damage the hole and need to refill it or go to a larger size screw. This holds true even with sheet metal.

DonziJon
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I have never known anyone who removes the hardware on their boat so they can wax under it.

I did know a guy who would periodically remove the wheels and brake drums, as necessary, from his 32 foot Diesel Pusher RV so he could blow the brake dust out of the mechanism with compressed air. YUP.. Not making it up. :bonk: John

BTW: His house was IMPECCABLE inside and out. You could eat off the floor anywhere in the house, including the cellar. I once scooped a Dust Bunny from under my couch and took it over to his house and dropped it on the floor where his wife would find it while I was there visiting. Precious.