PDA

View Full Version : HP and outdrives

caliglas
05-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I have a Minx with a 350 mag that I would like to replace. This is my 2nd Minx. The first had a 350 hp (so I was told) that rocked big time. The 350 mag in this Minx sounds more like a stock motor. I found a new 5.7 ready to drop in with 325 hp. I talked to a mechanic who said the Alpha drive would be no problem unless I leave the water without letting off the throttle all the time. I probably spent half my time out of the water in my last Minx.:) I forget what drive I had on that Minx. Am I ok with an Alpha or should I spend the money and time redoing the transom and get a Bravo. I don't plan on driving half as crazy as I use to but...... Thanks,
Jerry

Planetwarmer
05-12-2009, 01:20 AM
I have a 1987 22C with a 454mag and Alpha 1 (all stock). This is the only year that Merc paired the two. I drive the boat as I would drive any boat and have had no problems (knock on wood). If it were me, I would run your boat as is, unless you have a lot of time and several grand, or a lot of money to blow for someone else to do this little project.

If you leave the water, just match the revs to what your speed will be when you enter the water. Don't just push the go-lever all the way down and hang on for dear life. Also, don't slam the throttle coming out of the hole. Really just common sense stuff.

My boat has lasted since 1987 with tha Alpha/Big block combo and has been fine. As with anything, if you mistreat it it will break.

Drive it, maintain it, and enjoy it. You will be fine.

BlownCrewCab
05-12-2009, 05:56 AM
if you want to swap to a bravo all you have to do is drill 2 holes...there is no patching. same cut out, just two more top holes.

MOP
05-12-2009, 07:52 AM
My 22 came with the Tempest 300/Alpha setup, when I built the new engine if I knew then what I know now would not have made the Alpha/Bravo switch. First off the Alpha according to Mr. X is 2mph faster due to the lower unit size, the conversion costs (if using new) about $7,500. You can shop used and do much better but it could turn out to be whatever, that being said if you do blow an Alpha the SEI's are real cheap. Do the math it is a no brainer staying with an Alpha. My entire Alpha setup ended up on my kids 24 Searay/the baby sedan not the express, he is has put a ton of hours on it out fishing some of which is offshore with nothing more than gear oil changes. So if I had it to do over I would have kept the Alpha, even if by chance I blew one every season I would still be ahead several THOUSAND $$ and 2mph faster!

Phil

Pismo
05-12-2009, 08:30 AM
The Alpha will be absolutely fine.

caliglas
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks. I'll be sticking with the Alpha.