seano
05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/1153626783.html
have at it boys...not mine...

Donzi Racer
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/1153626783.html
have at it boys...not mine...

I am going to see it tomorrow or Saturday if anyone has interest, let me know and I will be glad to shoot them pics and answer any questions that I can. We already have a triple in the works, although we do have an extra engine and drive hanging around. ha ha Looks like this one was originally a Grumble Green color with a Black stripe. Does that make sense? Tom

penbroke
05-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I am going to see it tomorrow or Saturday if anyone has interest, let me know and I will be glad to shoot them pics and answer any questions that I can. We already have a triple in the works, although we do have an extra engine and drive hanging around. ha ha Looks like this one was originally a Grumble Green color with a Black stripe. Does that make sense? Tom

I'm not looking to buy but I'd love to see the pics.

One's too many and a hundred's not enough...

Frank

rustnrot
05-07-2009, 09:29 PM
While I too would like to see pics, there is no need for them. Gel is shot, hull needs to be split to remove old leaking gas tank and replace rotted stringers.

Good thing it will not have rotted balsa in the hull but if it is in the deck it will be rotted. Throw away the gimbal, fill the hole and buy a new engine/drive/trailer and for $20-25k doing the work yourself it'll be a nice boat that'll be worth $15k when your done!!

Just Say N20
05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Throw away the gimbal, fill the hole and buy a new engine/drive/trailer and for $20-25k doing the work yourself it'll be a nice boat that'll be worth $15k when your done!!

Nicely said. :yes:

sweet 16 1966
05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
rustnrot- truth hurts. Although- to those who have more time than money- and extra parts, it may fit someones needs.
I went to the masters this year and thought about you when I saw what i guess were Marks 3 projects from the exit below washington rd at the warehouse. hope all is well.

Donzi Racer
05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm not looking to buy but I'd love to see the pics.

One's too many and a hundred's not enough...

Frank

Frank, I agree completely with that. I was telling young nephew this evening, that it would be cool to have one triple in white with Grumble Stripe and another all Grumble with a black or red stripe and interior. I know it is hot, put a towel down. hahah Tom

Donzi Racer
05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
While I too would like to see pics, there is no need for them. Gel is shot, hull needs to be split to remove old leaking gas tank and replace rotted stringers.

Good thing it will not have rotted balsa in the hull but if it is in the deck it will be rotted. Throw away the gimbal, fill the hole and buy a new engine/drive/trailer and for $20-25k doing the work yourself it'll be a nice boat that'll be worth $15k when your done!!

Rust, that shows how much you know, the deck is already split and there is no gas tank. ha ha Tom

Donzi Vol
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Frank, I agree completely with that. I was telling young nephew this evening, that it would be cool to have one triple in white with Grumble Stripe and another all Grumble with a black or red stripe and interior. I know it is hot, put a towel down. hahah Tom

That would be pretty cool. We're gonna have to find some $$ laying around somewhere, though.

Hey CrewCab, you want another one to work on when our triple hatch is finished? :wink:

MOP
05-08-2009, 07:05 AM
I am with Tommy unless you have $$$ to burn rehabbing these "found in the weeds Gems" is far from worth it, unless you are a Donzi philanthropist!

mattyboy
05-08-2009, 08:07 AM

I can't believe what i am hearing here guys, it is not about the money it's not a business.It is not about some red or black entries in a cash journal, IS IT ???????

seems i recall a barrelback in about the same shape someone took the time to bring her back to life, now she is probably the nicest classic on the planet, not sure what the resale value would be but i do know it is worth more than all the tea in china to it's owner. how do you put a value on the joy and pride it gives you once you're done

always found it kind of ironic with the whole Cinderella story in the end the beautiful stage coach turns into a pumpkin, well i am sure alot of us would be happy that our boats could be transformed into a pumpkin ;)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6387&d=1095889441

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=684&d=1077508080

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=685&d=1077538343

;)

Donzi Vol
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
[quote=mattyboy;512030]I can't believe what i am hearing here guys, it is not about the money it's not a business.It is not about some red or black entries in a cash journal, IS IT ???????

seems i recall a barrelback in about the same shape someone took the time to bring her back to life, now she is probably the nicest classic on the planet, not sure what the resale value would be but i do know it is worth more than all the tea in china to it's owner. how do you put a value on the joy and pride it gives you once you're done

always found it kind of ironic with the whole Cinderella story in the end the beautiful stage coach turns into a pumpkin, well i am sure alot of us would be happy that our boats could be transformed into a pumpkin ;)"

I couldn't agree more. I don't know what it is about them, but seeing a Donzi that looks just like it did when it rolled off the line in 1966 is a pretty cool thing. Tom Smith's boat is that way, and our triple hatch will be that way...eventually. Thank goodness my dear uncle is persistant that we keep it original...sigh...

seano
05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I think any true Donzi "collector" will see some value in this barrelback given the rarity of them. You may see other Donzis running around the lakes and bays, but can you remember the last time you saw a triple hatch?

If you look at it from a PnL perspective, well...you should be owning any boat, much less a Donzi given the fact that it is by definition a depreciating asset.

Donzi Racer
05-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I think any true Donzi "collector" will see some value in this barrelback given the rarity of them. You may see other Donzis running around the lakes and bays, but can you remember the last time you saw a triple hatch?

If you look at it from a PnL perspective, well...you should be owning any boat, much less a Donzi given the fact that it is by definition a depreciating asset.

You just do not see many Barrel Backs, add the fact that it is one of about 100 made as a triple hatch and it was the very 1st 18 classic and they should at least hold their value. I realize that they can cost a fortune to redo but when you get done, you have something very special and for much less than a new 18. I have learned so much being part of the DOnzi Registry family. It amazes some of us when some people spend $20k to 30k on a engine & drive package to make their favorite Donzi go quite a bit faster. Others find it difficult to understand why anyone would want an older boat when they could go out and write a check and get a brand new one. Then there are quite a few of us that for whatever reason love to see the old ones in the water doing what they are supposed to be doing. Being enjoyed! I get the biggest kick seeing a long time Donzi boat lover being able to finally get the item of their infatuation from over 40 years ago. Finally I wish I had plenty of $ to get all the old Barrel Backs in ship shape. I have the time, just not the $. Soo if anyone has the $, just give me a ring. ahahhaahahahah We will do lots & lots of them. Just my 2c plus some. ha ah I should be going over to see the triple tomorrow. Somebody STOP ME!!!!!! Tom

PS if you spend $20k getting them ready, & sell them for $15k, how do you make any $? VOLUME!!!! hahahahahahahahahah

xzizx
08-29-2009, 02:02 AM
>That one in the pictures is just
plain breathtaking.