PDA

View Full Version : U-19 vs Classic 18

DonziBuoy
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
I apologize if this discussion has been here before, but I would like to hear from those who have sampled both boats. I am looking at a couple of U-19s for purchase, and would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Jim (Donzi Buoy- 18 Classic, 27 Formula fastech)

blackhawk
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Hmmmm....A Donzi vs a "copy" thread on a Donzi forum? :popcorn:

I start by saying I don't have any experience driving a Classic 18 but I have ran with quite a few.

I have been around the U boats since they came out in 1996. I have a ton of hours both as a passenger and behind the wheel.

The U boats got a bad rap from a review in a boat mag(can't remember which one) because they labeled the boat "dangerous". Truth is the boat they tested didn't have trim limit switches and they went into a turn with negative trim and put the boat on it's side.

The boat does chine walk when trimmed out, especially in flat water, but with seat time you'll figure out a small "bump" of the steering wheel cancels it out.

The U19 really shines in rough, sloppy water. Very easy to drive and rides and flies VERY flat. Also holds a turn like it's on rails.

My Donzi had much better gel work and fit/finish than my U19 but the actual build was just as good(or better). It is a very strong boat.

Honestly I miss my U19. They are a blast to drive.

Let the flaming begin! :D

Planetwarmer
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I saw 1 under a cover driving (riding on its trailer) down I-44 at night the other day (night). It looked like a good boat to me.:boat:

Donziweasel
05-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I have always like the U's. Different handling characteristics than a Classic, but a well built boat. Seen some nice ones.

DonziJon
05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Back when I was looking for my first Donzi, I also looked at The U-Boats. I ended up buying a 10 year old Donzi Minx for about 2 Grand less than a New U-17..I think it was. I have no regrets so far..12 years later.

It's kinda like buying a motorcycle...IF you Really want a Harley....then buy a Harley. There is No Substitute for the Real Thing. :) John

Just Say N20
05-07-2009, 09:42 PM
It's kinda like buying a motorcycle...IF you Really want a Harley....then buy a Harley. There is No Substitute for the Real Thing. :) John

That's the bottom line. :yes:

chappy
05-08-2009, 07:46 AM
The U-19's with the Duoprop intrigued me. Always wanted to drive one with that setup.

blackhawk
05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
That's the bottom line. :yes:

I agree you won't have recognition or history of the Donzi.

But the U19 is still a great boat and offers modern styling, Volvo drives and great performance.

blackhawk
05-08-2009, 08:12 AM
The U-19's with the Duoprop intrigued me. Always wanted to drive one with that setup.

Mine had a SX drive and my friend had a Duoprop. He had slightly better acceleration, expecially down low. He would race ski boats from a dead stop! :eek:

mattyboy
05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
the U boats were built to compete with the donzi classics, after OMC sold the Donzi line they wanted a small end hi po boat.
as far as that goes they perform well and sorta have that classic lines .
it all depends on what your looking for, the donzi "thing" and all it brings the mystique the dock talk the history the people or just a good reliable boat that performs well??