PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 Re-install

CJmike
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Okay what am I missing. I talked to Tex the other night and he said it was fairly straight foward. I got the drive hanging off my engine lift so it fairly easy to move around. I can get it all lined up and get all the bolts started into the holes. But it just won't slide that last inch or so in. I tried moving it around. Up and down. Tried spinning the shaft thinking it wasn't seating into the coupler. I don't know I am at a loss. Just seems to get stuck at that point everytime.

Any tips are greatly apprecciated.

mrfixxall
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Okay what am I missing. I talked to Tex the other night and he said it was fairly straight foward. I got the drive hanging off my engine lift so it fairly easy to move around. I can get it all lined up and get all the bolts started into the holes. But it just won't slide that last inch or so in. I tried moving it around. Up and down. Tried spinning the shaft thinking it wasn't seating into the coupler. I don't know I am at a loss. Just seems to get stuck at that point everytime.

Any tips are greatly apprecciated.

sounds like the drive aleignment is off!! rotate the engine and see if it slides in, somtimes the coulper may be cocked and that will need to be replaced.it also helps for the drive to be in gear and the shifter in forward position,as your sliding the yoke into the splines turn the prop and it should lock and slide on to the spliines..also the last 1/2 inch or so theirs a rubber seal that presses against the drive around where the yokr goes into the drive and seats againgyt it to keep the water out of the boat. what im saying its kinda spring load..

fogducker III
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Do you have the shift linkage "open" so it engages with the cable..? Also, I believe the Bravo should be in Neutral as opposed to forward well installing the Alpha.........?

CJmike
05-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Engine is aligned. Did that a week or so ago. Alignment tool slide in and out easily. I have the shift attachment point ready to accept the cable. That is exactly the point it sticks. The cable is just about to engage the holder and the drive stops sliding in right there.

I might be missing somthing but mine does not have a rubber seal. It seems to have an aluminum collar that goes around the input of the drive.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/IMAGES/COMMON/2424.png

MOP
05-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Did you grease the Orings the sit inside the gimble?

The O rings can make it a pain if they are dry, I used to grease the bore in the gimble and the Orings.

Separate issue: Was the drives shift cable disconnected at the converter?

Our Merc guys will not put a drive on with the cable hooked to the converter, they say that it is to easy to kink the cable requiring replacement.
I have followed their advice and have found it makes hooking the cable real easy and fool proof.

Phil

CJmike
05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Yep, greased the bore. Greased the o-rings. Shift cable was not connnected. I am thinking I was not getting the splines lined up. I was turning the prop shaft but it may not have been getting aligned with the splines on the coupler. I will try again tonight.

Carl C
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
It sounds like your shift cable may not be engaged. I just put my Bravo back on yesterday. You need to pull the shift cable clamp thing all the way forward from the drive so it will open up. Then make sure the shift cable end goes between the two Jaws of the clamp. Leave shifter in neutral while you do this. I'd also lose the stand unless you have a bad back or something. It's not that heavy and you need to pick it up a bit and wiggle in into place. Just rest the skeg on a piece of wood. If you are only an inch away then your splines are already lined up. Good luck.

I just saw the part about your shift cable not being the problem. If everything is aligned right and greased you should be able to wiggle it in.

DonziJon
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
FWIW: When installing my Apha I: After the drive is ON the studs, and the flanges are still seperated by about an inch, and the shift cable thingy is lined up, the thing preventing the drive from Slipping the rest of the way IN is the O-Rings on the universal shaft which need to slip into the gimbal bearing. Like MOP said the O-rings and the bore of the gimbal bearing should be greased.

At this point... I lean back, and give the top of the drive a Good Swift Kick with the heel of my shoe. This works every time it's tried, and pops right in. :yes: Just a thought.

I hang the drive on an engine lift....Far superior IMO than trying to manhandle the drive into place which weighs 85 pounds. I do this job without outside help, and did it for 10 years without the lift. (It's more manly), Now I'm too old and I do it the easy way. John

BigGrizzly
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
ALSO remember in gear when not running the shaft will only engage in one direction if turned briskly.

CJmike
05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Might be that it just needs a good swift kick then. I'll grease it up some more. Check the splines. Spin the motor if need be. If all that doesn't work then I'll give it the boot. I was just hesitant to do that with out some prior experiance.

ITTLFLI
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Not sure where your trim rams are but sometimes they will hangup on the drive housing....

MOP
05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
If it is really just one inch I would say the tip of the spline has already started into the coupler, tape a small piece of cardboard on the back and mule kick it!!!

fogducker III
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I am sure you don't, but make sure you do NOT have too much grease on the tip of the drive shaft, just lightly grease the splines. Too much and it can have a "hydro" effect........:wink:

mrfixxall
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
one more thing came to my mind,check the splines for a slight twist in them,or even a piece of crap could be stopping them from going on

CJmike
05-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Drive is on. I was just being to gentle with it. Once I could see clearly in the day light and based off the mule kick comment I was able to caress it into place.

Thanks guys.

MOP
05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a hunch you were started into the splines it was just the darn Orings, they are a pain at times be super important. I had a friend years back go POed and pulled them off the shaft, even though it had a new gimble bearing it sounded like it was going to beat things up inside. He pulled the drive back off and put the rings in with a good gob of grease, the not only protect the bore from rusting to the shaft they also hold center. Next time you have a bearing in your hand slide it onto a shaft wiht no Orings, it is a bit sloppy! If water gets past the Orings the shaft may have to be torched from the inside the boat so you could beat it out with a real big hammer, we have all done a few of those over the years.