PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Car question

VetteLT193
05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Anyone ever lose a serpentine belt w/o having a problem pulley?

Even though I'm pretty anal about maintenance, I don't have a log of changing the belt on my Town Car. 1996, 150k miles, probably original. I lost it on the way home from work. All pulleys seem to run free.

I assumed something went out, but nothing seems to be a problem.......

So, is it because I missed changing the belt? I've only lost one after seizing something.

justleft
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
150,000 :eek: 150,000 miles on a belt :nilly:

Make sure that all of pullys turn freely. A siezed water pump or alt or
idle pully will burn through that motha in an instanse.

But 150K is allot of miles.

VetteLT193
05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
150,000 :eek: 150,000 miles on a belt :nilly:

Make sure that all of pullys turn freely. A siezed water pump or alt or
idle pully will burn through that motha in an instanse.

But 150K is allot of miles.

nothing seized, I thought I changed it but it isn't in my log so I'm thinking it's gone pecan.

mrfixxall
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
nothing seized, I thought I changed it but it isn't in my log so I'm thinking it's gone pecan.

See if the tensioner wabbles,they get loose where it pivots and will throw the belt..also see if any of the pullys (plastic ones) are rounded off.after time from the heat their not flat on the serface where the belt rides and get u shaped and that will throw a belt..

VetteLT193
05-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks, I'll check both this evening. I can't believe I missed doing this:bonk:

BigGrizzly
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
It is usually the tentioner pulley that goes other wise it is just time, Like poodle says replace. truth is about 80,000 start carrying a spare.

VetteLT193
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
It is usually the tentioner pulley that goes other wise it is just time, Like poodle says replace. truth is about 80,000 start carrying a spare.

I'd usually just replace the thing but I guess time got away from me on this one. I tend to do things in chunks while things are apart but I haven't had anything wrong with this car in a long time so it's gone untouched... last job I can remember (besides oil and tranny fluid changes) was doing a full brake job but I did it before my 2 year old was born for safety :nilly:

All well, can't complain having too few problems.

I checked the tensioner last night, it spun freely, but I did not think to check back and forth play... job for tonight and tomorrow, along with a full check on everything else... plus, gotta get the Navigator fully checked for the haul up to AOTH :)