PDA

View Full Version : Got wood...

superhatz
05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't know where my other thread went but some of you may remember my mahogany got water logged...er stained.

So...I stripped the varnish and sanded it down. Re-stained it, bleached it and applied Smiths Penetrating Epoxy....sanded that and applied 4 coats of Dupont automotive clear.....wet sanded and buffed. It's looking sweet...about 50 hours later!...:nilly:

I also got the rear hatch covered in tuck and roll to match the rest of the interior....:)

I'm stoked.

:party:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Aaron,
That ought to do the trick. Hard to beat a good automotive clear for lasting protection along with epoxies. I have not really figured out what they made that triangular piece from - sort of a chopper gun fiberboard? That insert now looks like a nice dining table. Bill

superhatz
05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Aaron,
That ought to do the trick. Hard to beat a good automotive clear for lasting protection along with epoxies. I have not really figured out what they made that triangular piece from - sort of a chopper gun fiberboard? That insert now looks like a nice dining table. Bill

Yeah, the original piece was kind of cheezy...I like the mahogany....gives me some "street cred" with the wood boat crowd....er sort of.

I'd like to bring my Magnum to some classic boat shows and see how much grief I get...:)

Conquistador_del_mar
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, the original piece was kind of cheezy...I like the mahogany....gives me some "street cred" with the wood boat crowd....er sort of.

I'd like to bring my Magnum to some classic boat shows and see how much grief I get...:)

Are you going to lay a bead of something when you install it? I suppose you are having to be very careful when lifting that big sheet to make sure the surface does not get stress cracked? I saved my old sheet from the Magnum just in case it might be needed some day.

smidgen too
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Aaron, Damm that's nice :yes:, how is Jeff going to top that :nilly:. Bill thats why Clem did not copy the wood insert for the Aero, to much work, a nonskid surface was easy !!!!

superhatz
05-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Are you going to lay a bead of something when you install it? I suppose you are having to be very careful when lifting that big sheet to make sure the surface does not get stress cracked? I saved my old sheet from the Magnum just in case it might be needed some day.

Yeah, I'll use the same marine caulking...that worked well. I just didn't get the edge of the veneer sealed well enough. I put several coats of the penetrating epoxy and made sure it soaked in to the edge....and then the clear....should be good. If it isn't, I will have a ceremonial burning of the wood...film it and put it on You-Tube.

Seriously, I probably have 60 hours in this fuggin' wood....I better start pullin' chicks!!

superhatz
05-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Aaron, Damm that's nice :yes:, how is Jeff going to top that :nilly:. Bill thats why Clem did not copy the wood insert for the Aero, to much work, a nonskid surface was easy !!!!
Thanks Mark. Jeff is going to cry like a little girl when he see this.
And...on top of that, his boat still won't be as fast as mine....even with the rebuilt 'Vette motors.....:boat:
I'm looking forward to the reunion. Am I going to get my azz kicked driving a Tundra in Detroit?......:hangum:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-06-2009, 12:41 AM

The Aero I bought does not have a non-skid bow deck - would it originally? It is slick now.

Yeah, I'll use the same marine caulking...that worked well. I just didn't get the edge of the veneer sealed well enough. I put several coats of the penetrating epoxy and made sure it soaked in to the edge....and then the clear....should be good. If it isn't, I will have a ceremonial burning of the wood...film it and put it on You-Tube.

Seriously, I probably have 60 hours in this fuggin' wood....I better start pullin' chicks!!

Most people have no idea how much time and energy can go into some of the various aspects of restoration. I'll bet that I already have 80 hours into just getting the bow deck straightened out on the Magnum. At least your work is something that really shows. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
05-06-2009, 12:43 AM
And...on top of that, his boat still won't be as fast as mine....even with the rebuilt 'Vette motors.....:boat:
I'm looking forward to the reunion. Am I going to get my azz kicked driving a Tundra in Detroit?......:hangum:

Fabulous looking piece of woodwork! I guess you drive a Tundra, too? Mine is a 2001, and it has been nothing but perfect after 97,000 miles.

superhatz
05-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Fabulous looking piece of woodwork! I guess you drive a Tundra, too? Mine is a 2001, and it has been nothing but perfect after 97,000 miles.

Yeah...I've got an '07 with the 5.7L....it yanks the Magnum right along. I've had 2 Tacomas and an '06 Tundra. The '06 was stolen and recovered...I traded it in after that....it was violated and I couldn't get over it. I like the new truck but the transmission program sucks....I'm hoping they come out with an update.

HallJ
05-06-2009, 06:44 PM

I have fallen into the fetal position!:nilly:

superhatz
05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I have fallen into the fetal position!:nilly:

Start sucking your thumb too.....'cuz it's on!!!

:)

MOP
05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
[quote=superhatz;511510]I don't know where my other thread went but some of you may remember my mahogany got water logged...er stained.

Here Ya Go! Bet you forgot the title!!!
Live & Learn!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54273

HallJ
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Phil, I think he was just trying to forget about the past:garfield:

superhatz
05-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Phil, I think he was just trying to forget about the past:garfield:

Yeah, you know me Jeff....always thinking positively....:boat:

HallJ
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
When ya gonna throw that sucker on the deck?

Jeff

superhatz
05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Okay, since I'm geeking out and you guys seem to care.....:boggled:

I had the engine hatch covered in tuck and roll to match the interior....it now looks like an original pad....:)

Sweet.

mphatc
05-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Aaron,

That's beautiful! Now that you have prefected the shape and finish, I need one and a few others here with Mag 27's do as well!

No need to hurry, I won't need mine till next spring! So you have plenty of time!

Mario L.

superhatz
05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Aaron,
That's beautiful! Now that you have prefected the shape and finish, I need one and a few others here with Mag 27's do as well!
No need to hurry, I won't need mine till next spring! So you have plenty of time!
Mario L.

Hah...that's funny Mario! Like you, I have a shop full of cars and anxious customers....it's springtime apparently....:nilly:

:)

cutwater
05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Looking great Aaron. Still might be my favorite boat of all time. Gotta get one someday :alligator