PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping your pride and joy...?

fogducker III
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
So Jacqui and I are heading out on a LONG road trip shortly, towing the boat, I am in two minds how to "wrap" the boat for the trip.........

I have the cockpit cover which is great and will work fine, I also have a full "travel" cover. It is not custom fitted to the boat and I am worried about "flapping" in the wind and chafing..........??

What do you guys think about the best course of action? I am worried about flying rocks etc so would like to protect the underside of the bow. I have seen and been told about nightmare stories of the cover doing more damage than foreign objects...............:shocking:

I thought about a GOOD wrap of the industrial shrink wrap over and under the "nose"...........:confused:

osur866
05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I personally tow without a cover unless in the rain, then I use the cockpit cover and tape it down, if I use the cockpit cover I cover the front two seats with big plastic bags to not chafe the tops of them and remove the back seats, just what I do. Good luck and see ya soon oops :wink: Steve

Carl C
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I personally tow without a cover unless in the rain, then I use the cockpit cover and tape it down, if I use the cockpit cover I cover the front two seats with big plastic bags to not chafe the tops of them and remove the back seats, just what I do. Good luck and see ya soon oops :wink: Steve

Ditto, no cover. Bring the cockpit cover and duct or wide painters tape to put across the front if you run into rain. It'll blow off if you don't tape across the front.

mattyboy
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
the people i know that use them swear by towing brooms/brushes keeps all that **** kicked up by the tires from hitting the boat or the trailer

fogducker III
05-04-2009, 09:03 PM
the people i know that use them swear by towing brooms/brushes keeps all that **** kicked up by the tires from hitting the boat or the trailer

Good point, my buddy tows a fifth wheel all the time and swears by them, maybe I will "borrow" his just as an added protection?

The problem I have about the travel cover is the "non-uniform" fit (I know, probably not a word!) ........ I am not big on tape..........I guess if I get the right tape it might work.........

PS. Steve, no Crown Royal for you...........:bonk:

mattyboy
05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
the 3m green painters tape and remove it as soon as you arrive.

I had a friend tow a toon boat one snap on the cover was loose by the time he got to lk george it looked like someone had been hitting the boat with a ballpeen hammer. so i always tape the leading edge and the trailing edge including the corners

Last Real Texan
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
So Jacqui and I are heading out on a LONG road trip shortly, towing the boat, I am in two minds how to "wrap" the boat for the trip.........

I have the cockpit cover which is great and will work fine, I also have a full "travel" cover. It is not custom fitted to the boat and I am worried about "flapping" in the wind and chafing..........??

What do you guys think about the best course of action? I am worried about flying rocks etc so would like to protect the underside of the bow. I have seen and been told about nightmare stories of the cover doing more damage than foreign objects...............:shocking:

I thought about a GOOD wrap of the industrial shrink wrap over and under the "nose"...........:confused:

Coming to AOTH?:crossfing::crossfing::crossfing::crossfing:: crossfing::crossfing::crossfing::crossfing::crossf ing::crossfing::crossfing::crossfing::crossfing::c rossfing::crossfing::crossfing::crossfing:

osur866
05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Come on Jeremy since your from canada thought you would help a brotha out? Steve

Lenny
05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Jeremy, the shrink wrap, just below the gunwhales is the trip, WITH the cover already on and the pole in the middle sticking up, but, I do not know of any around here :(

I have had three boats wrapped and to this day, none have been damaged and they have travelled a LONG way. Basically, they stop after the first (outer) strake and tape it all out after being heated...

Ghost
05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd start with 2-3 coats of wax, regardless of what I did after.

jdp_509
05-05-2009, 06:39 AM
I towed mine about 400 mile with the cover on. The back snaps come unsnapped, then the cover started flapping in the wind. I couldn't see it from the drivers seat, everything looked fine. the cover beat a hole in the passenger seat!!!

MOP
05-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I will not tow without the full cover, yes it takes some decent prep but the boat is protected. I tape hunks of towel over any protrusion, I put foam pipe insulation over the windshield frame, I tape over the rub rail screws as the screws can wear the cover. My cover is also none to tight, I bought tarp clips to grab it where it is loose and bungee it tight. I also pass a light rope over any of the areas that balloon at speed. I have not had any problems towing this way, I have taped the cockpit cover on for short haul and it blew off thankfully I saw it leaving or would be buying a new one. As long as you get it tight the full cover is the way to go, I tow like most 70+++ I am not allowed to type the bigger digit Bonnie goes nuts!!!!!

Phil

CHACHI
05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Tape over the hatch vents.

Ken

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I'd start with 2-3 coats of wax, regardless of what I did after.

4 coats are done..........:wink:

gcarter
05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Not to hijack a perfectly good, informative thread, but years ago I read a technical article about waxing boats, cars, airplanes, etc.
The bottom line is, according to the article, that wax won't build up.....so more than one coat is redundant as each succesive coat is simply sheared off in the application process.
If this is true, I suppose two might be good as a spot or two might have been missed on the first coat. I would also imagine, if it's true, that wax mfgrs. wouldn't tell you this as it would cut down on wax sales.
Anybody know anything about this?

VetteLT193
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Not to hijack a perfectly good, informative thread, but years ago I read a technical article about waxing boats, cars, airplanes, etc.
The bottom line is, according to the article, that wax won't build up.....so more than one coat is redundant as each succesive coat is simply sheared off in the application process.
If this is true, I suppose two might be good as a spot or two might have been missed on the first coat. I would also imagine, if it's true, that wax mfgrs. wouldn't tell you this as it would cut down on wax sales.

This is true for real wax. This is not true for the newer, high tech, stuff like Zaino... it's all synthetic and does build up. lasts a really long time too.

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Actually I correct myself, I applied four coats of the Leverage product I bought off the site a while back, the hull surface is as smooth as a babies' bum..........:yes:

I am also leaning towards just the cockpit cover taped down on ALL edges and just check at regular stops..........:crossfing::convertib::boat:

osur866
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Be sure to put plastic or something smooth over the front seat to keep the fornt seats from chafing. Steve

Ghost
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM

This is true for real wax. This is not true for the newer, high tech, stuff like Zaino... it's all synthetic and does build up. lasts a really long time too.

Interesting. I guess that means my usual coat, plus a second on critical areas, may just be guaranteeing I don't miss many spots. (I don't know if 3M Marine Liquid wax is "real wax" or something synthetic, but I strongly suspect the former.)

Donziweasel
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
You gonna drop by on your way down to AOTH?:)

I'd like to see MY boat again.......

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
You gonna drop by on your way down to AOTH?:)

I'd like to see MY boat again.......

Ya never know............:wink:

Not sure what are schedule will be, we are kinda playing it by ear, it is a long haul and lots can happen on the way..............:crossfing:

We would obviously call ahead John and I will make sure I hose "your" boat off before we arrive so you won't think I am not taking care of her.....:lookaroun:

undertaker
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Fog, I always tow with my full cover on and have towed many many many miles over the three years I have had my 22 classic. Here is my routine...

I have a cover from coverquest.com, I put foam pipe insulation on my windshield edges put my cockpit cover on and snap it, then I have old soft bed sheets that I cover the whole bow, midsection of boat, and hatch area with (5 queen size sheets do it for a 22) then I put my full coverquest cover on, I make sure the draw string is as tight as possible tie that off, then I have cinch straps all around my cover I pull them very very snug, once I am done the cover is very very tight to boat. Because I am very anal I also put foam pipe insulation anywhere the cinch straps might chaf the sides of the boat and secure them with little velcro mini straps, also protect my trailer from strap chafing with soft material. It works great, boat is very clean when you arrive at your destination, and have had no chafing, blowing off issues at all ( I do check everything when we stop for fuel or potty breaks).

Dr. Dan also does this very same thing with no issues and has towed ALOT so does Air22 if I am not mistaken, he also tows ALOT.

Good luck see ya in AOTH if that is were yu are going, you are welcome to look at my rigging @ AOTH should be arriving Wednesday afternoon.....:convertib:

Undertaker:pimp:

undertaker
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
PS NICE avatar by the way....:yes::yes::eek::eek:

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Fog, I always tow with my full cover on and have towed many many many miles over the three years I have had my 22 classic. Here is my routine...

I have a cover from coverquest.com, I put foam pipe insulation on my windshield edges put my cockpit cover on and snap it, then I have old soft bed sheets that I cover the whole bow, midsection of boat, and hatch area with (5 queen size sheets do it for a 22) then I put my full coverquest cover on, I make sure the draw string is as tight as possible tie that off, then I have cinch straps all around my cover I pull them very very snug, once I am done the cover is very very tight to boat. Because I am very anal I also put foam pipe insulation anywhere the cinch straps might chaf the sides of the boat and secure them with little velcro mini straps, also protect my trailer from strap chafing with soft material. It works great, boat is very clean when you arrive at your destination, and have had no chafing, blowing off issues at all ( I do check everything when we stop for fuel or potty breaks).

Dr. Dan also does this very same thing with no issues and has towed ALOT so does Air22 if I am not mistaken, he also tows ALOT.

Good luck see ya in AOTH if that is were yu are going, you are welcome to look at my rigging @ AOTH should be arriving Wednesday afternoon.....:convertib:

Undertaker:pimp:

I agree with your methology 100%!

The problem I have is the full travel cover is not really designed specifically for my 18........I got it from a local marine shop and it is a generic one.........:frown: If it fit a little better I would be comfortable with fastening it as you suggest, I think I would be worrying all the way down if I use it.......

What I plan is to install on the truck the "whisker" type full width fifth wheel style mudflaps I borrowed from a friend, put the cockpit cover on and completly tape down all edges and protect the seats as Steve suggested, and I will be wrapping the entire bow of the boat with industrial shrink wrap, I think if I take it easy and check often, it should do the trick. Jacqui refused to ride in the boat and hold the cover on....:eek:

Donziweasel
05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
We would obviously call ahead John and I will make sure I hose "your" boat off before we arrive so you won't think I am not taking care of her.....

Who said anything about wanting to see you? I just want to see my boat....:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Just kiddin'. More than welcome to come on the way down or way back. Come on, stay a night and recharge. Since my Critter is in peices, and will remain so for a while, getting a ride in yours would be an honor. Plus, I have some kick ass boating 1 mile from the house.........you've seen the pics....

Hotel 1/4 mile from my house (1/2 a mile from the boat ramp), 54.00 a night with pool, bar and resturaunt. Next year, you can stay at the guest cabin at the Lazy P.

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Who said anything about wanting to see you? I just want to see my boat....:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Just kiddin'. More than welcome to come on the way down or way back. Come on, stay a night and recharge. Since my Critter is in peices, and will remain so for a while, getting a ride in yours would be an honor. Plus, I have some kick ass boating 1 mile from the house.........you've seen the pics....

Hotel 1/4 mile from my house (1/2 a mile from the boat ramp), 54.00 a night with pool, bar and resturaunt. Next year, you can stay at the guest cabin at the Lazy P.

VERY generous offer John, we both appreciate it. We will try our best to at least say hello, take care, go change a diaper or something....:boggled:

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I got the "whisker" mudflaps from my buddy and they are installed, bow is wrapped, if it doesn't work, so be it, I will take the full travel cover, tape and shrink wrap just in case............I know, this is not a big deal, but it is Jacqui's birthday today and she is two sails to the wind on red wine already and I am hunting for "chores" to do..........:eek::yes::boggled:

Donziweasel
05-05-2009, 07:01 PM
VERY generous offer John, we both appreciate it. We will try our best to at least say hello, take care, go change a diaper or something....

No problem Jeremy, I owe you one, you were a great host back in November.......:wink:

Ya start changing diapers and Boo is going to take out all your tires with a 30-06..

In the meantime John will be advising every tire shop within 350 miles that they WILL be out of stock of whatever size tires you need..

Amazing how no store in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah or Colorado has Jeremy's size of tire, or spark plugs, or oil, or...............:wink::bonk:

Alright, off to change a diaper......:bonk:

Donziweasel
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Holy crap Jeremy, got enough tape and cellophane on my boat??????:wink::bonk:

You could tow that thing to Argentina and not get a scratch on it......:bonk:

fogducker III
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Holy crap Jeremy, got enough tape and cellophane on my boat??????:wink::bonk:

You could tow that thing to Argentina and not get a scratch on it......:bonk:

Is there good boating in Argentina???

I only just got the rib about the diaper change..........:bonk:

I take it Boo doesn't like poo.......???

Ghost
05-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Alright, off to change a diaper......

Holy crap Jeremy...

IMO, the current frontrunner for segue of the year.

thriller
05-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Having towed my boat to Arizona...Lake powell....I used the cockpit cover with centre pole and then the Travel cover(Custom fit) with no Problem. I would suggest replacing some of your snaps for the cockpit cover with the Lift and Pull snaps on the leading edge ie:windshield and then the two rear corners as well. Just my two cents..
Good Luck

ps Take a spare tire and rim as well as a bottle jack!:yes:

Dr. Dan
05-06-2009, 04:50 AM
:cool:Fog - I feel your pain... this year I will be traveling with my newly repainted and appointed - Performance Custom Turbo Infused with Lots of Cash Trailer! And I bought some "Rock Tamers" to keep the paint on a little longer. I have done it both ways...on super long trips I prefer fully covered as Undertaker mentions - inadvertently you are gonna hit some severe weather and - say what you want... I prefer any rain or hail stay outta my cockpit area. I already lost a $600 GPS Speedo due to a random Tornado coming back from Air 22's one year...that sucked.

Also for whatever its worth - there is a very nice Car Wash just outside of town (Jamestown) on the main drag from the highway. Its on the right hand side of the road...works great to wash off before and after the Event.

I have made Undertaker wait for me many times as I wash away the sins of the awakenings many a year. :wink:

Look forward to meeting you - we should have plenty of Donzi Gear for you to return to BC in Stylin Fashion.

Danny Pantera :cool!:

yeller
05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Ok Fog....that's about one of the ugliest covers I've ever seen. :wink::biggrin.:

Here's what you need. Not cheap though.

fogducker III
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Ok Fog....that's about one of the ugliest covers I've ever seen. :wink::biggrin.:

After this trip it will be a while before I can afford to buy anything....:frown:

I will send you the details of the insurance via pm......:wink:

undertaker
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Nice cover.....ya need to clean your exhasut tips though:):):bonk:

Anonymous:nilly::shades::pimp:

yeller
05-06-2009, 07:55 PM
.....ya need to clean your exhasut tips though:):):bonk:
Anonymous:nilly::shades::pimp:
Damn.......nothin gets past you guys. That's why I shy away from posting picks of myself. :biggrin.:

fogducker III
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
So she is wrapped and loaded for bear........

Vents covered and blocked off, steering wheel and seat backs are foam covered so no wear from the cover, cockpit cover fastened and taped down, leg and exhaust etc. covered with Merc engine store, which wipes off with the road dirt........ trailer 100% and truck loaded with all the needed gear........:popcorn:

Have I missed anything?

BTW. I said I would report back after a few uses of the rubber flooring I installed, it is awesome! As you can see I removed it, cleaned the deck and no stains or rub marks...

Planetwarmer
05-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Have I missed anything?

You forgot to wrap the trailer!!!!:nilly:

Carl C
05-09-2009, 06:37 AM
You forgot to wrap the trailer!!!!:nilly:

Not the propeller though:)

BUIZILLA
05-09-2009, 07:34 AM
i'm impressed... :convertib: :yes:

Air 22
05-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Gotta get me one of those...Very Nice:wink:...and the Black color will work too!
Yeller can you plz PM me the info...much appreciated..:wink:
Fog...your looking good:yes:...should be a fun unwrapping party...be safe:beer:

hot shot
05-09-2009, 07:58 AM
I've been told that shrink wrap tape works well because it won't leave any residue even if it gets wet.... i'm gonna give it a try :cool:

Carl C
05-09-2009, 08:08 AM
My boat was delivered from Tennessee with the cover duct taped across the front. There was a little glue on the boat that came right off with mineral spirits, none on the cover. Matty suggested wide painters tape on another thread. I don't know if it is sticky enough though. I'd bring both along. My boat always has a roll of duct tape in it anyway. That and the leatherman's tool is all I need:). Enjoy your trip, Fog.

mattyboy
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
My boat was delivered from Tennessee with the cover duct taped across the front. There was a little glue on the boat that came right off with mineral spirits, none on the cover. Matty suggested wide painters tape on another thread. I don't know if it is sticky enough though. I'd bring both along. My boat always has a roll of duct tape in it anyway. That and the leatherman's tool is all I need:). Enjoy your trip, Fog.

Carl,

I would not recomend anything that I have not tried myself or have seen in person that does not work.

Pearson showed me that trick years ago and everytime I did it it works great with very little impact on the deck or cover. If anything is gonna fail it is gonna be when Pearson is towing it ;) the green tape has never failed.

we just towed up to lake george at 75 80 mph plus for 380 miles same tape round trip( we never removed cause the cover never came off) the tape was intact

hillbilly chrome needs alot of clean up and is too tacky