PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed a bimini top in a 22zx?

fasttrucker
05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Iam going to put one in my 2002 22zx this year for my wife.She has issues with intense heat during the summer.Makes it hard for her to walk.Its not good,so anyway I found cheap ones on ebay.Iam thinking Ill go cheap and put it up only when parked or going slow.A high speed S.S. top at my local shop is a grand.If anyone has put one up I would like to know about the install or comments on how you like it,what you whould do different,ect.thanks...................:confused:

fasttrucker
05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I did a search on bimini tops.I went all the way back to 2002.It was a lot of fun.I found a "2001 22zx donzi" in the for sale section from "Boatclinic".This post was dated 02-23-07.Boatclinic was posting for a freind and this was one nice donzi with a factory bimini top.It answered all my ?

rtgogo
05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Let me know how you like it. My wife wants the same, but can't bring myself to do it. I'm ordering a Taylormade Anchorshade as a compromise and just hope its not a PITA to pop up when needed.

DonziJon
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Small Donzis don't usually do Bimini's. You will be shunned by other Donzi owners. However: If you're going to do a Bimini....DO IT RIGHT. Not cheap. Have it done ...Custom.. After all, your going to put it on a DONZI. :bonk: John (Of no particular opinion at all)

srlbrodkin
05-05-2009, 01:11 AM
I put one on my 22zx after hating the idea for about a year. Ordered it from west marine there is alot of sizes available and colors. I also ordered quick connects from CP Performance just because I hate the rails. Actually really happy with the looks and its easy on or off.

Bruce

zelatore
05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
John (Of no particular opinion at all)
:tongue: This should be your new sig line!

VetteLT193
05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I highly suggest using the detachable mounts instead of the cheapie mounts. They are made by Accon.

fasttrucker
05-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Let me know how you like it. My wife wants the same, but can't bring myself to do it. I'm ordering a Taylormade Anchorshade as a compromise and just hope its not a PITA to pop up when needed.
I have an anchorshade.They work ok,but dont block the sun-cover the whole boat depending on the angle that the sun is/how you are set up at anchor.Also if there is a strong wind its not easy to put up and take down.Ill sell you mine $50 plus shipping,bill.PM me.

fasttrucker
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I highly suggest using the detachable mounts instead of the cheapie mounts. They are made by Accon.These detachable mounts are they for the main mounting point,do they use a connecting pin?Maybe I should do a search.Thanks for the tip.I was worried that my cockpit cover would not snap with a top attached.Looking at my sunbrella cover that I had made last year,the top will not fit under it and snap tight.If I can remove the top........that would work.

Ghost
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
These detachable mounts are they for the main mounting point,do they use a connecting pin?Maybe I should do a search.Thanks for the tip.I was worried that my cockpit cover would not snap with a top attached.Looking at my sunbrella cover that I had made last year,the top will not fit under it and snap tight.If I can remove the top........that would work.

For reasonable cash, probably *could* have a canvas guy notch your current top to allow it to install around a permanent bimini. But I'd think making the bimini removable would be better, and if done right, I'd think you could store it in a U shape in the motorbox. My last boat had a similar layout, and the convertible top stowed away perfectly, and you never knew it was on board.

The mounts for mine were on top of the windshield. Not sure if that is what you had in mind, but in my case, that created a couple of stress points in the boat covers. My sunbrella tonneau is still fine after 10 years with the factory vinyl reinforcement patches sewn in where it rode on the mounts for the convertible top. My heavy canvas mooring cover eventually sustained a poke-hole where it rode on those same two fittings, but this needed only a minor patch.

The mounts were the common type that took a pin, and looked something like this.

VetteLT193
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
This is the kind I was talking about...

http://www.acconmarine.com/pc-63-10-401-quick-release.aspx

The main issue I have with the standard kind with the pin is you either have to leave the pin in all the time or you can lose it. Plus if you hit it with any part of your body it hurts like hell.

This is the kind that the mounting is pop in, pop out and nothing to lose... and nothing to leave a bruise either.

Ghost
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM

The main issue I have with the standard kind with the pin is you either have to leave the pin in all the time or you can lose it. Plus if you hit it with any part of your body it hurts like hell.

This is the kind that the mounting is pop in, pop out and nothing to lose... and nothing to leave a bruise either.

On mine, the pins were leashed to the legs of the removable top by a short cable. (Had they not been, they'd have been a PITA just as you describe.) An easy do-it-yourself fix for anyone, now that I think about it.

Barry Eller
05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Iam going to put one in my 2002 22zx this year for my wife.She has issues with intense heat during the summer.Makes it hard for her to walk.Its not good,so anyway I found cheap ones on ebay.Iam thinking Ill go cheap and put it up only when parked or going slow.A high speed S.S. top at my local shop is a grand.If anyone has put one up I would like to know about the install or comments on how you like it,what you whould do different,ect.thanks...................:confused:
I have one of those $1000.00 customs. All SS tubing, welded joints, thru bolted mounts. My wife won't ride without it. Front edge of top is 6" lower that the rear edge, flies flat at speeds, no parachuting at all. Braces in the rear keep the top out of the way when folded up. Completely removable with 4 lock pins.

By the way... the nice looking blonde with the blue Donzi shirt is Mrs. BigGrizzy. :) Denise and I are holding the dock lines.

mrfixxall
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Boat us has thease on sale for 130 bucks..works good for me and easy to hide:)

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/17852/377%20710%201297/712//Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201297&Ne=712&Ntt=&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&Nr=AND(Record%20Type:PRODUCT,Store:WESTMARINE)&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=58&classNum=59

DonziJon
05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
If the Bimini framework is designed correctly, (ie: the way it folds up) the entire framework and canvas work will fold down unobtrusively in Front of the windscreen in a tight package with a Zip On Cover tying it all together. No need to have it partially errected when not in use.

This stowage method is commonly used on Sailboats with what is called a Dodger, which is just a Bimini with Zip On clear vinyl panels which act as a windshield, and Zip On sidecurtains. :wink: John

fasttrucker
05-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Boat us has thease on sale for 130 bucks..works good for me and easy to hide:)
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/17852/377%20710%201297/712//Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201297&Ne=712&Ntt=&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&Nr=AND(Record%20Type:PRODUCT,Store:WESTMARINE)&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=58&classNum=59
Thats an anchorshade want to buy mine for $50?

fasttrucker
05-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Iam going to get these accon mounts,thanks.

brwn234
05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats an anchorshade want to buy mine for $50?

What color is it? I'm in Northern Va near Dulles Airport.

mrfixxall
05-05-2009, 03:09 PM

G i didn't know you were mrfixxall!!

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!

brwn234
05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry, I didnt mean to do that :)

Barry Eller
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
If the Bimini framework is designed correctly, (ie: the way it folds up) the entire framework and canvas work will fold down unobtrusively in Front of the windscreen in a tight package with a Zip On Cover tying it all together. No need to have it partially errected when not in use.

Mine will fold in front of the windscreen and it will fold and lie on the engine hatch. Bimini tops look bad enough on a speedboat, my rear braces keep it from bouncing and chafing the gel and I think it looks better there than just laying on the boat. The rear braces also add stability at speed. I have run well over 70 MPH many times with the bimini.

DonziJon
05-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Mine will fold in front of the windscreen and it will fold and lie on the engine hatch. Bimini tops look bad enough on a speedboat, my rear braces keep it from bouncing and chafing the gel and I think it looks better there than just laying on the boat. The rear braces also add stability at speed. I have run well over 70 MPH many times with the bimini.

Wasn't meant to criticize what pleases someone. I was just offering an alternative idea. "Beauty is in the eye......" :yes: John

BTW: I once errected a Beach Umbrella (Handheld) on my Minx on a very hot day going up a narrow river. It was good for maybe 5 MPH...Which was OK for that trip............... Besides...NOBODY Was Lookin. :)

fasttrucker
05-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Its white,hey why dont you come up for the day this season on a sunday.You can launch for free at my ramp.You will really like the upper bay, lots of places to go.We could run to the hot spots,:yes:.Shipping this would cost some $$ and you could just grap it while you were here.Mr fix it all has not said he wants it yet,so.............

fasttrucker
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I think with a 22zx or a zx,they have a sunpad so you would just lay it on the back.Here is a picture of the boatclinic boat,nice custom.

joseph m. hahnl
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
BTW: I once errected a Beach Umbrella (Handheld) on my Minx on a very hot day going up a narrow river. It was good for maybe 5 MPH...Which was OK for that trip............... Besides...NOBODY Was Looking. :)

Ditto:yes:.
I would like to find a out door patio umbrella in red and white.
I would put a holster in the cooler "anchor stow". It would stow in the ski locker out of sight:wink:. I see the anchor shade has straps to secure it in wind or motion. that mod could easily be made:shades:

fasttrucker
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Ordered my new top......Westland subrella royal blue 36", 6'.79-84.I Bought it thru iboats web site.Free sunbrella boat and shipping.$324.99:cool!: not s.s.:garfield:I boat in freash water:crossfing:I then ordered the accon quick release mounts $54.78 plus shipping $11.A little more then I wanted to spend but I think it will be nice.

da donz
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Post some pictures, when you get that bad boy bolted up. I would like to see it on yours before i make a decision and throw one on the 28zx. Did you see that you could get a different colored strip down the middle?

Barry Eller
05-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Ordered my new top......Westland subrella royal blue 36", 6'.79-84.I Bought it thru iboats web site.Free sunbrella boat and shipping.$324.99:cool!: not s.s.:garfield:I boat in freash water:crossfing:I then ordered the accon quick release mounts $54.78 plus shipping $11.A little more then I wanted to spend but I think it will be nice.

You will love the shade...your wife will be much happier...just as a suggestion, look back at my earlier post on this thread about mounting the front leading edge of the top lower than the rear. That will keep the top from parachuting...less stress on the frame and you will be able to run a little faster with the top up. With the aluminum frame, you shouldn't try to go very fast as it will not hold up to the wind force. Look at the photo of my boat in the first page of this thread... notice the horizon is level with my top. Just be careful to not lower the front too much, try and find the happy medium.:yes:

fasttrucker
05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
You will love the shade...your wife will be much happier...just as a suggestion, look back at my earlier post on this thread about mounting the front leading edge of the top lower than the rear. That will keep the top from parachuting...less stress on the frame and you will be able to run a little faster with the top up. With the aluminum frame, you shouldn't try to go very fast as it will not hold up to the wind force. Look at the photo of my boat in the first page of this thread... notice the horizon is level with my top. Just be careful to not lower the front too much, try and find the happy medium.:yes:
Thats good advice,Iam not sure where to mount the front straps.Not to the windshield for sure,will have to wait and see.Should be here sometime this coming week.

fasttrucker
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Post some pictures, when you get that bad boy bolted up. I would like to see it on yours before i make a decision and throw one on the 28zx. Did you see that you could get a different colored strip down the middle?
The strip down the middle is not for the sunbrella.I did see that you could order a double strip.I think that would be cool for a fishing boat andI thought that would be cool for the shelby models.

da donz
05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I just seen that as well, You can only get the strip on the shark skin :confused: That sucks!
Oh well, post those pictures though when you get it tightened up!

VetteLT193
05-11-2009, 07:08 AM
The strip down the middle is not for the sunbrella.I did see that you could order a double strip.I think that would be cool for a fishing boat andI thought that would be cool for the shelby models.

Where did you see the double stripe? just checked it out and didn't see an option for it.

Also, you'll probably be much happier with aluminum over stainless. Stainless weighs more and if you are planning on taking it on and off it becomes a total PITA.

da donz
05-11-2009, 09:42 PM
You have to call if you want the double strip, Single strip available online.

fasttrucker
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I had to send the mounts back.The 401 is for s.s. ends.:bonk:I reordered the ones that I need,they are part number 401-320 for the alum plastic ends.My top came in and:eek: the kit included rear support poles.So I ordered four of the new mounts.I hope to install top next weekend.:boat:

LuauLounge
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
How did this come out? I am looking for a bimini for my 22Zx

Thanks

fasttrucker
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Its still a work in progress,boat is for sale again,check the donzi for sale in the classified section.:crossfing: